Retro. Fit Aircon

Ed463

I know you guys may find this hard to believe but our 2008 Sprinter doesn't have air con/climate control:thumbdown:

So. I can collect all the required components together quite easily for maybe $3-400.
Head unit.
Wiring loom.
Compressor.
Evaporator
Piping
Heater matrix etc.

I feel happy enough with the nuts and bolts part of the installation.

However, will it actually work or will the voodoo/black magic integrated electronics of the Sprinter refuse to accept it?
Any thoughts gratefully received.

danski0224

It is virtually guaranteed that any electronic part is somehow on a CAN bus, and actually turning it on or off is done by a computer.

I'd look at the wiring diagrams, and see if you can find someone to code it.

As an example of something simple made complex, the headlights on my Dodge Caravan are on one signal path from the switch to the instrument cluster, then on another bus to the TIPM, which then actually turns on the headlights. The parking lights and turn signals are on a different CAN bus....

I might get it fixed soon...

I bet that it would be much easier to get an aftermarket add on AC installed and operational compared to installing an OEM system and getting it operational. Good luck.

Last edited:

sparkplug

I will watch this one with interest Ed.

I also have a 2008 and it also lacks that one essential feature so if you can manage to get it to work then I might well follow in your footsteps...

Ed463

It is virtually guaranteed that any electronic part is somehow on a CAN bus, and actually turning it on or off is done by a computer.

I'd look at the wiring diagrams, and see if you can find someone to code it.

As an example of something simple made complex, the headlights on my Dodge Caravan are on one signal path from the switch to the instrument cluster, then on another bus to the TIPM, which then actually turns on the headlights. The parking lights and turn signals are on a different CAN bus....

I might get it fixed soon...

I bet that it would be much easier to get an aftermarket add on AC installed and operational compared to installing an OEM system and getting it operational. Good luck.
I'm an electrical engineer (big stuff) I'm convinced there are no electrons involved. It is voodoo and black magic.
My initial plan was aftermarket but using Sprinter compressor, radiator, hoses etc. But I do like the factory look!
I've spoken to someone who sells "kits" of Sprinter components who says it's easy. But (as he's selling the parts I guess) he's been a little vauge on the install:idunno:
The Chinese aftermarket evaporator are cheap $80. But they look cheap!!

Ed463

I will watch this one with interest Ed.

I also have a 2008 and it also lacks that one essential feature so if you can manage to get it to work then I might well follow in your footsteps...
At this moment in time I'm sat indoors. It's 38C outside:cry: so I do fancy getting this done.
I've been told Merc. do a retro fit kit. But you don't want to know the price!
So it's possible. But I don't have the patience or the skill set to get bogged down in canbus or body control module stuff.

danski0224

My Caravan HVAC has its own module, and it is connected to the CAN system.

No reason to think that Mercedes is any different.

Being in the UK, it is probably much easier for you to find someone at a dealership willing to turn on the HVAC in the computer system than someone in the USA.

However, I am still of the opinion that an aftermarket system will be easier and less expensive to get up and running. I wouldn't doubt that the Mercedes compressor is on the CAN system too.

I strongly urge you to look very closely at the wiring diagram.

Ed463

My Caravan HVAC has its own module, and it is connected to the CAN system.

No reason to think that Mercedes is any different.

Being in the UK, it is probably much easier for you to find someone at a dealership willing to turn on the HVAC in the computer system than someone in the USA.

However, I am still of the opinion that an aftermarket system will be easier and less expensive to get up and running. I wouldn't doubt that the Mercedes compressor is on the CAN system too.

I strongly urge you to look very closely at the wiring diagram.
Anyone got a wiring diagram?
I think you're correct re. the compressor:thumbdown:
I also think you're correct about finding someone with the correct skills to enable it, should be easy enough. My concern would be if the body control module was an old version which can't be updated to recognise the hvac control unit.

Last edited:

danski0224

I'd PM "Sprinter Man Sam".

That person has added a bunch of stuff to his Sprinter, has had it coded at a dealership and is in the UK...

User name spelling or capitalization may be a little off, but search and you will find.

If memory is correct, a subscription to TechAuthority (or close to that) will get you wiring diagrams, but you will need the VIN from a van like yours, but with AC.

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
If everything fits, is it possible you could retrofit an older style clutch controlled compressor with internal displacement control? My thought is is that as long as you have a working expansion valve that type of system can work with purely a manual switch for the clutch.

Ed463

If everything fits, is it possible you could retrofit an older style clutch controlled compressor with internal displacement control? My thought is is that as long as you have a working expansion valve that type of system can work with purely a manual switch for the clutch.
I'll ponder that. It's certainly possible to purchase a new compressor with a simple clutch.
I must admit aircon isn't something I've any knowledge about, but I was trawling eBay for something and noticed how easy and cheap it is to pick up genuine MB Sprinter AirCon components.
At the time it was 38C 100F in the shade, so you can see why I ended up with this thought:laughing:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Unless the euro models are significantly different, the NCV3 uses a fully electronic control scheme for its AC.

The compressor has an electronic displacement control solenoid. The head unit reads evap temp, cabin, and exterior temps in conjunction with high side pressure. From there it adjust the compressors stroke via the solenoid/valve. On the v6 the compressor is always spinning (no clutch). While the 4 cyl does have a clutch I think. Retrofitting the system would likely require SCN coding the other modules to add A/C option.

The T1N has a semi electronic system. The compressor has a clutch, and the displacement control is internal (mechanical). The valve reacts to low side return pressure (which is controlled by the temperature expansion valve). The clutch is controlled by the ATC head unit. The head unit monitors high side pressure and evap temp. If they go out of range, it disables the clutch. On the T1N you can simply add a switch to control the clutch, and the system works fine. There is a risk of various failure modes though. The ATC controls the aux fan based on system pressure.

Pure mechanical systems are the same the T1N, except instead of a pressure sensor a trinary switch is used. This switch disables the clutch on low or high pressure, and turns the aux fan on during high pressure. Such a switch could be retrofitted with the right adapter.

My proposal, is to installed an older style compressor with internal displacement control. If the NCV3 doesn't have the right type of expansion valve, that would need to be fitted. The stock evap and condenser can be used. A standard 134a trinary switch would be fitted. You would need to work out a scheme to engage the electric radiator fan, ,likely by relay. Note that may set a code as the ECM will see the fan on without requesting it. Probably not a big deal. Now, generally the expansion valve and the internal (mechanical) displacement control valves are matched. If they are not well matched, you can get evap icing in cooler weather. Though that is already a problem with the electronic ncv3 controls... Personally I think it would be worth a try. You may find that there is a mechanical displacment control valve you can retrofit to the factory ncv3 compressor, as these units often have a wide application range.

Attachments

Last edited:

Derfuk

I know you guys may find this hard to believe but our 2008 Sprinter doesn't have air con/climate control[emoji107]

So. I can collect all the required components together quite easily for maybe $3-400.

Head unit.

Wiring loom.

Compressor.

Evaporator

Piping

Heater matrix etc.

I feel happy enough with the nuts and bolts part of the installation.

However, will it actually work or will the voodoo/black magic integrated electronics of the Sprinter refuse to accept it?

Any thoughts gratefully received.
Once fitted it will.need to be coded in via xentry if you are going for a Mercedes one the other and probably cheaper option is a retrofit 3rd party one

Sent from my KOB-L09 using Tapatalk

sparkplug

A few people have mentioned "3rd party" options.

Are you thinking of the roof mounted ones (not an option for me due to solar panels) or is there some 3rd party option that would connect to the standard cab ducting?

Also - if anyone has any brand names / models of potentially compatible 3rd party solutions then that would be helpful.

I really know nothing about aircon and how it works so I can see I'm going to have to go and do some research!

Ed463

A few people have mentioned "3rd party" options.

Are you thinking of the roof mounted ones (not an option for me due to solar panels) or is there some 3rd party option that would connect to the standard cab ducting?

Also - if anyone has any brand names / models of potentially compatible 3rd party solutions then that would be helpful.

I really know nothing about aircon and how it works so I can see I'm going to have to go and do some research!
This for example:

https://www.eberspacher.com/products/air-conditioning.html

Or if you search eBay you will find plenty of Chinese stuff, surprisingly cheap. For example the in cab evaporator, with fans and vents around £60. Who knows how long it would last:idunno:
There are 2 versions. One with directional vents and one with, I think, 63mm duct outputs which you could connect into your existing ducting. If I go for that one I thought I may give up the glove compartment (It's only filled with junk) to provide a more professional looking installation.
I figure I can collect all the genuine Sprinter components for £3-400.

Last edited:

Ed463

Thanks everyone for their input:thumbup:
I have a few options to consider:
Go for the full, original factory fit and hope that I can get someone with Star to enable it.
Go for a hybrid, as per Midwesterner above.
Go for a high quality aftermarket.
Take a chance with cheap Chinese stuff off eBay.

In the meantime, anyone with further insight would be great!

ptheland

2013 144" low top Passgr
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but Mercedes generally doesn't install any wire that is not going to be used. If your Sprinter was originally shipped without air conditioning, you will also need to install all necessary wiring.

danski0224

Thanks everyone for their input:thumbup:
I have a few options to consider:
Go for the full, original factory fit and hope that I can get someone with Star to enable it.
Go for a hybrid, as per Midwesterner above.
Go for a high quality aftermarket.
Take a chance with cheap Chinese stuff off eBay.

In the meantime, anyone with further insight would be great!
I'd find someone to code it first... :)

Top Bottom