9" Android head unit

JFloFoto

Getting a million questions so I thought I'd just do a write-up.

Installed a Android 9" head unit. Didn't want to drop the coin on an Alpine Halo nor do I care for the tablet look stuck on the dash. This is a much cleaner install imho. Pretty much like having my Android phone as the head unit. Apple Car Play works as well. Even retained steering wheel controls. Had to mount a separate SiriusXM radio unit in headliner.

I did a quick video for everyone asking whether Apple Car Play actually works. It does. https://youtu.be/7G7s012chw0

Here's the unit I installed. There are many other similar ones. XTRONS 9 Inch Android 8.0 Octa...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079Q2C1QK?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What year is your van you installed it in?
I have a 2018, thinking it should work in mine.
Did you need any additional harnesses or adapters to install?

JFloFoto

What year is your van you installed it in?

I have a 2018, thinking it should work in mine.

Did you need any additional harnesses or adapters to install?
It's a 2016 and I installed it. Xtrons said it wouldn't work on a 2016, but it does. I'm almost positive it would work up to a 2018.

I had purchased steering wheel control adapters for the Pioneer it replaced, and this Xtrons was plug and play into those adapters. Crutchfield can hook you up.

I got the Xtrons front camera, bluetooth OBDll, and Apple Car Play dongle. I'd probably pass on the front camera next time. Just get a different camera that records all the time. I have to turn on the front camera each time.

lruss

looks great, video very helpful, any chance you could let me know the item number for the adapter kit from Crutchfield that you used.

thanks

JFloFoto

Re: 9" Android head unit

Don't have the OEM back up camera so can't comment. Works fine with an aftermarket camera.

If your radio has a Fakra FM connector you'll need an adapter. Available on Amazon.

Your best bet is to talk to Crutchfield. Very helpful and will make sure you get the right adapter.

Below are the adapters I used to maintain steering wheel controls and to plug straight into OEM MB radio/nav/etc harness:

Steering wheel control adapter:

https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/ASWC-1

Navigation wiring interface:

https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/XSVI-9005-NAV

UPDATE:

I bought the Xtrons OBDII Bluetooth dongle but couldn't get it to connect. Hold off on that until I get this sorted.

Also, the front Hi-Def front cameras does automatically turn on and record 3 minute files of video. It uses a micro SD card and will store as much capacity as the card has then start recording over older files.

JFloFoto

UPDATE:

Just learned the Xtrons unit is shipping with the proper connectors so steering wheel controls and Nav wiring interface are not needed. It's plug and play.

JFloFoto

UPDATE:

I had a ScanTool OBDLink LX Bluetooth reader installed in the van before I bought the Xtrons head unit and read real time data from my phone. I tried connecting it via bluetooth to the Xtrons, but the head unit would not recognize a signal. I then purchased an Xtrons specific OBDII to see if that would work. The first one was DOA. Just received a replacement and everything works as it should. I can now run the Torque app directly on the head unit with real time engine data. Pretty cool.

lruss

OBDII blue tooth in for $13, its good but you can only ( that i know of ) have one bluetooth device connected at a time so pretty pointless, it does all a basic BT OBD reader does - just nifty to see on the head unit.

JFloFoto

Re: 9" Android head unit

OBDII blue tooth in for $13, its good but you can only ( that i know of ) have one bluetooth device connected at a time so pretty pointless, it does all a basic BT OBD reader does - just nifty to see on the head unit.
I'll have to disagree. I can connect both. I guess the Xtrons OBDII gets a dedicated connection which might explain why the non-Xtrons didn't work. See photo.

Last edited:

rube

How’s the audio quality from this head unit? Are you using an amplifier or speakers directly wired to the unit? I’ve heard mixed reviews. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JFloFoto

Can't tell much difference if any in sound quality from the Pioneer AVIC8100 it replaced... but then again this is a van [emoji16] Plug and play for my sub and rear amp. Thinking of adding a front amp at some point.

Just installed a 7" Android head unit in my van.
So far it works very well and looks like a factory unit.
Not as big a screen as previous units, has more actual buttons vs touch type.
All functions seem to work, just ordered a CarPlay dongle for it.
Will let you know how that works. For the money this Android and the one
JFloFoto installed are a great deal.

The type unit I purchased:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Android-8-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Attachments

Top Bottom