Longest lasting DPF contest?

Jhaesly

I just bought a scan gauge 2 for my 2016 sprinter/4 cyl/48,000miles/high roof. I plan on installing the scan gauge on my dash somewhere. I am having DPF issues now, and the van is at he MB dealership now. However, can you point me in the correct direction on how to start being proactive on my maintenance with this tool? I assume soot %, ect.... ....john

2007 - Were at 169K with the original DPF and no cleaning.

Will most likely delete if issues ever arise.

NJ does not do inspections on diesel vehicles.. insane but i cant complain.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
NJ does not do inspections on diesel vehicles.. insane but i cant complain.
My sedan with OM651 engine and DPF delete passed NV sniff smog with 0 particles measured.
I used to live in CA and they did not smog diesels in the past, but about 8 years ago they started and grandfathered requirements till 1998 models.
In CA diesel smog is visual only, with no probe in the tailpipe, what I think targets pickup owners, who often cut all the cats and mufflers to replace with straight pipe.
Still lot of states follow CA when it comes to smogs, so count that it might come to your state sooner or later.

Last edited:

4wheels

Can we all say that DPF on 07-09 is better vs after DEF years?
EBSsprinting did review of his 08 with 500k and his DPF was original. Deer destroyed his van.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

srt4ny

Close to 300k on my 2015 2.1 and still working fine when removed and tuned due to def problems

DPF Cleaning can greatly extend the life of the component while reducing maintenance downtime and costs. This cost is relatively inexpensive when compared to the total cost of the vehicle when purchased. The DPF cleaning can also be combined with other scheduled service work to further minimize downtime.

Say what

Im out... like the Seinfeld episode I did not long at all - Im out at 65K. $12,000 in warranty work and 29 days in shop.

pfflyer

Mine crapped out at 140K and took the SCR with it according to the dealer. About a $6,000 bill. Hope to get it back tomorrow. Dealer said soot levels not monitored during A or B services. If it was we could have saved the SCR.

4wheels

Mine crapped out at 140K and took the SCR with it according to the dealer. About a $6,000 bill. Hope to get it back tomorrow. Dealer said soot levels not monitored during A or B services. If it was we could have saved the SCR.
Hate dealers..
Too late to tell but Dennis said -
" I have yet to see plugged SCR".
Not sure what he meant , but thanks to him I was able to avoid dealer's $6000 trap.
I changed DPF sensor and also socket( updated) . The code for "plugged" DPF disappeared.

pfflyer

Hate dealers..
Too late to tell but Dennis said -
" I have yet to see plugged SCR".
Not sure what he meant , but thanks to him I was able to avoid dealer's $6000 trap.
I changed DPF sensor and also socket( updated) . The code for "plugged" DPF disappeared.

I'm in the trap that I need the van for work and just want it back. I called an independent and he said the same thing as Dennis but he was almost a week out before he could look at the van and worse case scenario he was $1k cheaper getting it all replaced and over $3k for just the dpf. Both dealer and independent are over an hour away with no traffic. Independent no loaner and it would be a hassle to get a ride to and from. I would have bought a 2019 if production and special orders weren't messed up but this episode has me rethinking a new Mercedes gas or diesel. I will keep this one for a year to make this expense more tolerable then it will be a gas Ford or an older NPR box truck. What sucks is dealers have always serviced my van and the SA said if DPF hadn't thrown soot into SCR and tail pipe it would just need the DPF replaced. I asked if they have never check soot levels but they never check it during an A or B service to see if there is a trend of a build up. I thought I have seen screen shots here of scanners that check soot levels but maybe I am wrong.

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
I would certainly be interested in knowing if RV-type use (minimal short trips) aids in extending the life of those components.

The way I see it, at 24.6 MPG (my lifetime average MPG), I'm saving $9,500 in fuel over a 15.5 MPG gas van for every 100,000 miles I drive. I'd like to think I can pocket at least some of that.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
There is more than just fuel money.
Every few years I drive MB sedan across the country. I always stop in Chicago and used to make it home in San Francisco area in 2 days, so lot of daily driving.
Almost all sedans were diesels, who would drive most of the day on the tank.
1 time I drove gasoline wagon and with short range on tank and long distance between populated areas on I-80 I had to fill the wagon 6 times in single day. That can get annoying even with card readers on the pumps.
Lot of stations "in the middle of nowhere" still make you go inside to prepay.

Andrew_T

Got the DPF plugged code on my 2007 right around 300k.Very poor engine performance as in had to crawl up a hill with 5mph.
Embarrassing and infuriating .
My 08 doesn’t have one and I’ll keep it that way. A new one from Europarts is around 1000$ FYI. Not sure on the newer ones though; I’ve noticed they’re way smaller units than the pre bluetec units.

Top Bottom