To Flarespace or not to Flarespace

GSWatson

2013 144
That’s what I did with Valerie‘s van. The bed is on an electric lift as well to access storage underneath. The mattress is a trifold, and 2/3 stay on the platform; the other third unfolds after we pull out the platform.

Cheers,
Greg

THE

2018, 144, HR, 4x4
Ok, so I've gone back and forth on this. Yesterday I went to the Flarespace website and checked it out. Then I read that if I DIY the warranty is voided. I called the recommended installer for Phoenix and they've NEVER done one. Hahahahaaahhaaa..

I installed all my CRL windows, rear and sides with minimal troubles. Wonder how crazy it is to install these? Frankly, I'd rather have someone who has done many of them do it so long as the install cost isn't insane.

But at the moment, there are no official installers in PHX area.

judah8750

If you call the guys at flarespace, they will talk to you about it. I did the install with a buddy, it was as easy as the windows. Watch the freedomvango install video on youtube.

mbwkrause

I’m in a similar boat especially since I have a second row bench to be able to bring my kids. If I had all the money in the world, sure, I’d install flares in a heartbeat (doing it myself, should not be harder than windows). But... I was pondering all of that before I got my van. Now that I actually have my van, I think I’ll be able to sleep sideways without flares especially since I use my van by myself probably 80% of the time. I really don’t need a queen-sized mattress either even though I’m 6’. So I decided to build a cheap loft bed and see how it goes. If it doesn’t work out, I can still add flares later. The money saved for now, I’ll invest in a roof rack and a rooftop tent, way better solution when bringing my kids and super excited to have a rooftop terrace. Long story short, I’d build something more or less temporary and see how it goes. Nothing beats real-life experience.

THE

2018, 144, HR, 4x4
Ya know, why not. I could fab up something temporary rather quickly and try it. I am not tall by any means, and I'm not concerned about crawling over her if need be :)

Shawn182

I think you will only gain 10-12 inches of added van space with the bed mounted sideways
But that can also be mitigated by cutting a bed down to what YOU actually need. A standard Queen is 80" long, Twin is 75" long. I am 5'9" so just cut my queen down to and made my bed frame 75" which is still more than plenty for me. Saved 5" of floorspace with no flares or sleeping sideways.

mbwkrause

I’m in a similar boat especially since I have a second row bench to be able to bring my kids. If I had all the money in the world, sure, I’d install flares in a heartbeat (doing it myself, should not be harder than windows). But... I was pondering all of that before I got my van. Now that I actually have my van, I think I’ll be able to sleep sideways without flares especially since I use my van by myself probably 80% of the time. I really don’t need a queen-sized mattress either even though I’m 6’. So I decided to build a cheap loft bed and see how it goes. If it doesn’t work out, I can still add flares later. The money saved for now, I’ll invest in a roof rack and a rooftop tent, way better solution when bringing my kids and super excited to have a rooftop terrace. Long story short, I’d build something more or less temporary and see how it goes. Nothing beats real-life experience.
Just to add to this: I got my van and put a quick and dirty platform bed with IKEA Skrovas in with a foldable mattress on top of it (200 bucks all in, 30 min of work). As it turns out, I don’t like sleeping widthwise. It’s not so much about the length, more that I really like to have the free headspace around me. Never would have thought that before I tried. So new plan, constructing a full-sized bed that allows me to sleep lengthwise and that I can fold up...

MrHermit

2019 144' 4x4
Is the black gel coat of sufficient quality that I would not need to have the flares painted if I have a Jet Black van?

CactusJackSlade

My only issues with flares is that we go down some pretty narrow shrubby roads and already scratch the crap out of the paint here and there.... which would mean the flares would really be getting scratched... but that is our situation ;-)

Top Bottom