T21 Recall for OM647s - Recommended Dealerships

Shortiez

Two High Roof 118s
Just following up about Chrysler Dodge Ram in Walnut Creek CA.

Dodge finally replied back to the dealerships' assertion that the trouble code (o2 sensor) was under the recall after over ~13 buisness days, but literally 10 seconds before I'd gone down to the dealership and was about to swiped my credit card to pay for the part to fix it. I'd leaned on the warranty advisor a couple of times and she finally re-requested via email to Dodge on a Monday and by Wednesday they replied in the affirmative.

So lessons learned:
1) Walnut Creek Dodge I'd say is okay for doing this T21 thing. Maybe not experts... but they seem to be taking direction from factory engineers anyway. There were several other T1Ns in the lot, some seemed to be ther at least as long as mine was, which was over 2 weeks.
2) If Dodge says something isn't covered, it can help to lean on them some to ask again... but it might take some time. My dealership has a list of trouble codes that might be causes by the T21 update, and thus should be paid for by Dodge.

Got my van back and no CEL yet, although I'm not driving it much. Maybe 50 miles so far, but that'd be enough for the other two CELs I had. It might be running a little smoother too from when it had an O2 sensor code. Last trip I got 23mpg on a tank. Will like to see if that improves.

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
just seeing this re Walnut Creek C/D/R.. I've taken a previous 2005 Sprinter to them and all it took was the firmware update. It was a good experience. TODAY, as in an hour ago, I dropped off a 2004 with them which I'm actively restoring (hasn't started since 2011 and I got it started mid last week for the first time since then). From my research ALL 2004s need new Instrument Clusters.

What I don't understand is the fact there's a lot of data out there which show the need for various parts and these dealerships not only will not keep them on hand, but also will refuse to order a part which is known to be needed given the VIN until the vehicle shows the problematic symptoms.. In my case I know this 2004 will need a new instrument cluster. So even though the data is out there, they refuse to order up the IC and they're telling me 'if' it needs a new IC (it will need a new IC, in this case you really should follow the old adage the customer is right!) it will take 2-3 weeks to get the part!!!!

Anywho.. happy they got the 2005 through a while back and here's to being optimistic they will quickly come to the realization it needs an new IC and that it won't take 2-3 weeks to get in.

Has anyone had any luck in getting the dealership to allow you to take the vehicle back until they get the IC in?

Shortiez

Two High Roof 118s
Has anyone had any luck in getting the dealership to allow you to take the vehicle back until they get the IC in?
My service manager was Jose and he did offer that I could pick up the van and use it while the service was happening. I didn't do it, but I'd guess you'll have no problem there.

vanski

Thanks Shortiez..

This was my second experience going through a t21 recall with WC C/D/R. The last was with a 2005.. That went pretty smoothly even with needing a new MAF. I had also gone through the t21 recall on another 2005 with Hilltop Dodge in Richmond CA. That was kind of a cluster F experience.

This experience with the 2004 was probably a 7/10..

I received the call the t21 was complete and that a new instrument cluster was not needed. I happened to be free at the moment and hopped in the car armed with a multimeter to verify the battery was not being drained. Jose was very accommodating to let me go ahead and verify.. Sure enough, when I popped the hood I could hear the EGR motor was engaged and the battery was sitting at 11.8V where I had never seen it below 12.4V. Went back and communicated my findings and Jose said his team would look into it. He was very short with me and he didn't like me communicating what was going on with the vehicle in front of other customers at the service desk. I get it...

Got a call later that afternoon before they closed that they verified the IC needed to be replaced and there as a 2-3 week wait to get a new one, BUT, there was someone in San Jose who opted not to get a new IC as part of the recall for their 2004 :thinking: and potentially they'd have one tomorrow (Thursday) and get it installed then. They did get the IC in on Thursday :thumbup: but didn't get the chance to install it. That's fine, I get they're a busy shop... No call on Friday.. I called Saturday and it was finished.

- A grading on leveraging their dealership network to track down the needed part in short order :thumbup:
- C+/B- grading on communication through the process
- A grading to the desk people who were able to get me the vehicle and necessary t21 recall paperwork 10 mins before closing on a Saturday.
- F grading on listening to your client
- F grading on following through and doing proper post ECM firmware update testing per known issues between the ECM and the IC, especially on 2004s

Overall, I'd say they are as good as anyone in the SFBA (better than Hilltop in my opinion since I've used them both for this t21 update). But there again, if I would have taken the service managers word that the recall was complete, went and picked it up without verifying the work, most likely I would have missed out on that IC and I'd still be a couple weeks out minimum in getting the vehicle back.

verify these folk's work! :2cents:

Now I have another 2005 to get done, but, for some reason the re-registration paperwork doesn't mention the recall. Could this be because it's registered as an RV in CA?

GaryJ

Here since 2006
Quote: vanski: Now I have another 2005 to get done, but, for some reason the re-registration paperwork doesn't mention the recall. Could this be because it's registered as an RV in CA?

Nope. I have a T1N cargo and a T1N that’s registered as an RV and both required the T21 here in CA for registration.

Gary

vanski

Figured that was the case.. I thought it would have been stated on my reg renewal notice. Wouldn’t have been the first time I’ve seen mistakes from the dmv.

vanski

And... went into the DMV to take the 2004 off non-op and put it in the road for the firs time in over 9 years... DMV agent handed me back the salmon colored T21 recall slip and stated ‘we don’t need that any longer’, but keep it for your records.. hmmmmm :idunno:

SkyGypsy

And... went into the DMV to take the 2004 off non-op and put it in the road for the firs time in over 9 years... DMV agent handed me back the salmon colored T21 recall slip and stated ‘we don’t need that any longer’, but keep it for your records.. hmmmmm :idunno:
Hmm, I went to the DMV this week and they said there was a note that I needed the T21 recall at one point, but I should take it in just in case it's required again since I have to go back to the dmv to finish the registration process when I come in next time, and they don't want that to hold me up. It's got me wondering about this. Would rather not do it if unnecessary!

HighPockets

The Dodge dealer in Minden, Louisiana did mine after the Dodge dealers in Monroe and Ruston refused and the M-D dealer in Shreveport said they couldn't because it wasn't listed in their recalls. The Dodge dealer in Minden said they had received a call from M-B asking them to help out.

Gene

vanski

Hmm, I went to the DMV this week and they said there was a note that I needed the T21 recall at one point, but I should take it in just in case it's required again since I have to go back to the dmv to finish the registration process when I come in next time, and they don't want that to hold me up. It's got me wondering about this. Would rather not do it if unnecessary!
I had two Sprinters I was registering, one which already had the recall completed, the other I had to come back for after getting it started and getting the smog done. Although I didn’t get the second registered on that first trip, they did start the process. Perhaps the person at the dmv accidentally notated both vehicles as being completed.?.? Although when I left she gave me a printout showing t21 was required to finish registration in CA. With the first one they definitely took the salmon colored recall proof of correction and filed it. The second they handed it back to me and said it wasn’t needed but that I should keep if for my records. And now I have another I need to renew with smog cert but the renewal notice doesn’t say anything about the recall.

I will not hypothesize the inner workings of Ca dmv...

SkyGypsy

I had two Sprinters I was registering, one which already had the recall completed, the other I had to come back for after getting it started and getting the smog done. Although I didn’t get the second registered on that first trip, they did start the process. Perhaps the person at the dmv accidentally notated both vehicles as being completed.?.? Although when I left she gave me a printout showing t21 was required to finish registration in CA. With the first one they definitely took the salmon colored recall proof of correction and filed it. The second they handed it back to me and said it wasn’t needed but that I should keep if for my records. And now I have another I need to renew with smog cert but the renewal notice doesn’t say anything about the recall.

I will not hypothesize the inner workings of Ca dmv...
On the printout I received they noted I needed some things, and she hand wrote the recall dealer slip in there. Guess I'll be taking care of it anyway.

sebtown

I had the recall completed on my 2006 Freightliner at Santa Rosa Mercedes. Mine required a new ECU which extended the repair by a couple of days. Santa Rosa Mercedes has a dedicated Sprinter division.

chris118

Well I am just learning all the information on the recall. I got my registration renewal slip with the need for the t21 recall to be done.
Getting a quick education on this recall

Walnut Creek dodge told me to call hilltop, they don't do the recall anymore.
Called Hilltop Dodge today 10/7/19
The instrument cluster part has been discontinued.
Because of this Hilltop is no longer doing the recall service(at least not the 2004's) as they will not be able to get a part to take care of the possible needed repair.

The guy at Hilltop gave me the Chrysler corporate number. Was on hold as they searched for a dealership near me (San Francisco Bay area), was on the phone for an hour.
They opened a case # for me and said that if I can find someone to do the work they would reimburse the costs.

If there is no way to get the recall service done, do you think there would be some kind of waiver I could get from the DMV? or is that just dreaming...?

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
What a pain!

If there is no way to get the recall service done, do you think there would be some kind of waiver I could get from the DMV? or is that just dreaming...?

You're right at the cusp of the "cluster out of stock" dilemma. I'm sure you're not the only one. You'll need to talk to the DMV and try to escalate as no one really has a good answer (for now).

P8ton

Sorry to ask but cant seem to find an answer after searching the thread; Best Dealership for the recall in Los Angeles area?? 2006 Dodge

Thanks

Peyton

Iam from the Los Angeles area but drove to Cole Dodge after the first dealership(Russell Westbrook) was basically useless and refused to do anything besides a reflash of the ECU, then claimed that the MAF was not covered under the recall. They wanted to charge me $1100 to replace it.

I called Cole Dodge, they said if I could make it up there they would change it and that it is covered under the recall. They were very professional and nice, as far as I'm concerned they are the best, well worth the drive. Give them a call.

SkyGypsy

If you are in Santa Cruz, South County Gilroy was pretty quick with my 2005 and no issues afterward. Make sure you go to the diesel truck center not the normal maintenance garage.

P8ton

To follow up, Russel Westbrook on Van Nuys took my appointment for the recall on my 2006 Dodge, but when I arrived there at 7:30 this am, after scheduling over 10 days ago, I was informed that they "Don't have the machine to do the Recall."

To be fair, the appointment was setup by a remote operator and not the service guys, but it would have been great to know that ahead of time!!!
The service guys recommended Rydell in San Fernando, and the manager was able to accommodate me same day, even though their receptionist said they "Dont do Sprinters".
Done in less than 4 hours.

MagicBus

Designer of Magic Bus
Jack Powell in Escondido (San Diego metropolitan area) highly recommended for T21 recall work !

The California Department of Motor Vehicles (“DMV”) sent to me a “Vehicle Registration Renewal Notice” for my 2005 Dodge Sprinter 3500 SHC. To renew I needed to provide (a) renewal fees, and (b) Proof of Correction certificate for the T21 Manufacturer Recall, and (c) SMOG certification, and (d) it all must be returned by MAIL only.

For those of you living in, or near, the San Diego metropolitan area, I can provide helpful information.

First, I took my van to Jack Powell Chrysler Jeep Dodge for the T21 recall. I dropped it off on a Monday at 10:30 am and the work was completed on Wednesday at 3:30 pm. They provided a loaner car, in my case a nice Dodge RAM pickup truck. They have one technician dedicated to performing T21 recalls. All went well. No parts were required. I encountered no problems after the recall was implemented. Best of all, all of this was FREE! If you need a T21 recall I highly recommend this dealership. I left the dealership with a pink paper card entitled, “FCA US LLC, Vehicle Emission Recall – Proof of Correction”. I’m not sure if this was filed electronically with anyone.

Second, I took my van to a STAR Station Smog Check at 2909 Damon Ave, San Diego, CA 92109. It has 488 Google reviews and a 5-star rating. I’m a repeat customer. I had no appointment. The first thing I learned was that the California DMV BLOCKED my vehicle from accepting electronically transmitted smog data! I proceeded with the smog test, passed, and took the paper printout of the smog certification with me. The smog test cost $70. They don’t accept coupons for Sprinters. The whole process took about 30 minutes. I highly recommend this smog station.

Finally, I compiled my paper documents, which included the T21 Proof of Correction, smog certification, check for payment, and MAILED it to the DMV before the December 31, 2019, deadline.

I hope this information is helpful to those Sprinter owners living in, or near, the San Diego metropolitan area.

Links:
https://www.jackpowell.com/service-center/
http://starstationsmogcheck.info

Top Bottom