Keyless Remote Performance

Do you experience difficulty with your keyless entry remote(s)

• Yes, I have to stay within 10 feet of the vehicle

Votes: 95 31.0%
  • Yes I have to stay within 20 feet of the vehicle

Votes: 52 17.0%
  • Yes I have to I have major difficulty even when trying to lock/unlock standing at the back doors

Votes: 106 34.6%
  • No, I would say it works similar to other car manufacturers remotes

Votes: 53 17.3%

• Total voters

sprint2freedom

2008 NCV3 170ext
Interesting, how would I go about determining this?

The only change I made to the van was adding an FM bluetooth transmitter so I can stream music from my phone, this plugs into the lower 12v outlet below the radio..

thanks
Just reread your earlier post- do you have multiple fobs with this issue?

If so, that sounds like a van-side antenna problem rather than fob-side. For example, accidentally severing, moving or grounding the antenna wire for the keyless entry might cause this type of behavior.

Or if it's not a coincidence, perhaps your bluetooth transmitter is causing interference. Have you tried unplugging it and testing the fob again?

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
I have on occasions while working near the van, .. heard the sound of the door locks cycle from accidental compressing (trousers pocket) the remote. At 300' or 100', doubtful I would hear a accidental cycling of the lock. Not that that would be problematic.

TracstarDave

I have a Class C motorhome built on MB 3500 chassis and I can use the remote from 20-30 ft away without a issue. I also have a 2016 MB 2500 and have to be beside the window to unlock. I read somewhere that the antenna could be getting interference from the other electronics in the front window pillar arm.
Dealer says its normal.

I also have a issue with the side panels flexing and leaving dents where the window cuts would be. They also say that its normal.. Looks terrible since its a black van

Disappointed to say the least

smurph

I just performed the mod and rerouted the wire up inside the RH trim of the centre vent area. Works great now! Took me a while to locate the white wire and the tape - it was on top of that metal tube where I couldn't see it. Totally worth it.

nymike

i brought mine to mb for that and 7 other issues, the key was the only issue they could verify hahhhahaahhhahaha and claimed to have fixed, there is a slight difference, went from basically functionless to extremely pathetic

that was two weeks ago

52k van

Jakelake

I just did the antenna reroute after watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJdkWcRkqao&feature=youtu.be
It would have been a 15 minute job but read my comments on the video to find out why it took me about 45 minutes. The improvement in key fob function is dramatic. Also, on my 2016 4X4 there was no tie wrap holding the antenna wire to a wire bundle so didn't have to cut that, just had to remove tape. Recommend this modification, it's very easy, much easier then taking the van to the dealer and waiting 4 hours for them to tell you the key fob function is normal.

MT170

2018 2500 LWB 4x4
I just finished the antenna reroute in accordance with the video. It took about an hour even with stopping to watch the video every step of the way. All panels came off and went back on completely unmarred . It was a substantial performance improvement in the key fob activation range of my 2018 4WD LWB.

mbounds

My issue is that when looking for the antenna it is not in the location shown in the video. I have not located it as of yet.

Top Bottom