And Boom goes the dynamite...

Racrx

On my way to Chicago to catch a flight to Spain a couple weeks ago....Cruising along at 75mph with the cruise control and I hear a slight drilling type noise... I replay the song I was listening to to see if it was that. Nope. All the sudden “clunk”, van slows a bit and the cruise control tries to maintain speed... “CLUNK”, serious vibration and I pull to a stop on the interstate.... thinking I’ve just dropped a driveshaft I get out and examine the underbelly. Nope, driveshaft intact. So, I put the van in gear and try to move it, there’s a spinning grinding noise and zero movement. Thinking now the trans has gone BOOM! I call a tow truck and get it towed to a the tow place, hop in the tow truck drivers car and get a 90 mile ride to the airport to catch my flight. After 2 weeks in Spain and lots of planning, my friend loads the van up and I get a ride to meet him. He listens to what the issue may be and we’ve decided it may not be the transmission but the flywheel or torque converter... it’s going in the shop soon but wanted to get your thoughts.

4wheels

I put the van in gear and try to move it, there’s a spinning grinding noise and zero movement.

Mileage on van ? If 200k+ - I would check axle shafts

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
I put the van in gear and try to move it, there’s a spinning grinding noise and zero movement.

Mileage on van ? If 200k+ - I would check axle shafts

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk
Yes, Does the driveshaft rotate when you put the van in gear? Get a helper to look under the van, but don't forget to set the parking brake and hold the footbrake as well!

Kkeith.

Racrx

I put it in gear and looked under it. Just a spinning noise from around the bell housing. We’re thinking torque converter or flywheel.

Racrx

Van runs fine as I sat in it with the AC running till the tow got there. Drive shaft doesn’t move when I put it in gear. I’m thinking it may be the torque converter or flywheel. Does it in all gears

On my way to Chicago to catch a flight to Spain a couple weeks ago....Cruising along at 75mph with the cruise control and I hear a slight drilling type noise... I replay the song I was listening to to see if it was that. Nope. All the sudden “clunk”, van slows a bit and the cruise control tries to maintain speed... “CLUNK”, serious vibration and I pull to a stop on the interstate.... thinking I’ve just dropped a driveshaft I get out and examine the underbelly. Nope, driveshaft intact. So, I put the van in gear and try to move it, there’s a spinning grinding noise and zero movement. Thinking now the trans has gone BOOM! I call a tow truck and get it towed to a the tow place, hop in the tow truck drivers car and get a 90 mile ride to the airport to catch my flight. After 2 weeks in Spain and lots of planning, my friend loads the van up and I get a ride to meet him. He listens to what the issue may be and we’ve decided it may not be the transmission but the flywheel or torque converter... it’s going in the shop soon but wanted to get your thoughts.
I put it in gear and looked under it. Just a spinning noise from around the bell housing. We’re thinking torque converter or flywheel.
Van runs fine as I sat in it with the AC running till the tow got there. Drive shaft doesn’t move when I put it in gear. I’m thinking it may be the torque converter or flywheel. Does it in all gears
Sorry, man. Doesn't sound good. I can't think of a Cause for your Concern that would not require removing the transmission to Correct it.

Racrx

Sorry, man. Doesn't sound good. I can't think of a Cause for your Concern that would not require removing the transmission to Correct it.
Thanx. Yeah, I know it’s got to come apart but I’m not thinking transmission anymore. We’ll see. I’ll keep everyone updated. I love this van so it’ll get fixed and back on another adventure.

Last edited:
Hopefully it's just the flex plate. If it's the converter, then it's probably spread shrapnel throughout the rest of the transmission which could damage other stuff in the transmission and require a complete overhaul to Correct.

Racrx

Nevermind. Felt the trans in drive and it’s definitely the transmission. Pulled the inspection plate and the torque converter and flywheel look fine. Thanx guys!

Racrx

Hey everyone. Thought I would update this... trans went kaboom so I opted for a used trans w/33k (van has 140k) shipped from MI to IA for a $1950 bill... plus $606 to install it and the $120 I spent on a trans fluid kit that I had but thankfully didn’t use yet like I had planned. I decided to wait until I got back from vaca... NOW I’m hearing a new low clunk going from drive to reverse and back and that seems to be a u-joint but can’t pin point which one which doesn’t matter as I find after 15min of research that the damn driveshafts aren’t serviceable... smh. This is getting expensive.

Last edited:

Top Bottom