Sprinter Shipping FL to WA issue

Cebseb

Greetings everyone!

I’ve used the search function for any relevant information and have initiated contact with the parties mentioned in this thread:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74985&highlight=Shipping

While I wait on replies, I was hoping to gain some insight on possible options for my particular dilemma.

I found and purchased a Sprinter Van from a dealership in Pompano Beach, FL and I’m located in Seattle, WA. The deal has been finalized (the check has been cashed by the dealership) and the dealership is responsible for finding and paying for the shipping of the van to my residence. This was about three weeks ago and it hasn’t left yet. Apparently they are running into an issue of finding a shipper that can fit the van. It’s a Sprinter 170wb with a thermoking unit on top. According to the dealer, the thermoking unit is causing the problem. The dealer is well-versed in shipping items all over the country/world since they deal in exotic supercars, but nothing in this size. The general manager has been in contact and is very apologetic about the whole situation, but I am currently nearing the end of my patience.

I want to avoid having to take the time to fly down there and drive the van back myself.

I was wondering if anyone has any reliable contacts in that part of the country that could possibly help me out with this situation?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Last edited:
...the check has been cashed by the dealership...
There's your problem. :thumbup:

I was born and raised in the auto industry.

At this point, even if you used an electron microscope, you would not be able to locate their interest in doing anything to help you. They've already got your money.

BGerker

T1N Collector
Pamplona Florida? I hope that's just a typo. Can the van be driven to you? I have done this for my own customers, Uship and other eBay sales. Understanding the dealer is paying... do you have a guess what they are prepared to pay? $1.20/mile would be a ball-park figure.

Cebseb

Pamplona Florida? I hope that's just a typo. Can the van be driven to you? I have done this for my own customers, Uship and other eBay sales. Understanding the dealer is paying... do you have a guess what they are prepared to pay? $1.20/mile would be a ball-park figure.
Sorry, yes. Typo. Pompano Beach, FL

Not really sure how much they are willing to pay, but the original figure given in contract was $2000 as an estimate for shipping. At this point, I am going to begin putting quite a bit of pressure on the dealership so perhaps they’ll consider extraordinary measures to get this rectified.

Cebseb

There's your problem. :thumbup:

I was born and raised in the auto industry.

At this point, even if you used an electron microscope, you would not be able to locate their interest in doing anything to help you. They've already got your money.
I am usually extremely cautious in these situations, but this dealership cares very much about their social media image. Reviews and feedback on several platforms (twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Yelp) have evidence of poor ratings that have been turned around in the end with a positive outcome. I’m willing to assume positive intent in this case. The next time I contact them, I will be giving a hard deadline before I have to resort to a third party for more motivation on their end.

Reviews and feedback on several platforms (twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Yelp) have evidence of poor ratings...
Bingo... :thumbup:

The next time I contact them, I will be giving a hard deadline before I have to resort to a third party for more motivation on their end.
Threatening them, will most likely cause them to stop all communications with you.

Threatening them with a passive-aggressive insinuation, will most likely cause them to laugh at you...and then stop all communications with you.

lindenengineering

Two things seem apparent or pertinent to me Sir Galahad.
Question?
Is this vendor an authorized MB dealer or used car sales lot ?

Did you ask yourself or the salesman before buying about the difficulties, KNOWN difficulties, of shipping a Sprinter across the country?
The trials and tribulations of the exercise are well documented even within these forums .

Its a fact that the vehicle will need to be flat bed transported .That by itself raises all sorts of questions including overall height of the rig in total and possible damage during transportation.

Let's see
The distance to transport is about 3250 miles.
Depending upon the hauling truck, lets assume a Pete with a Cummins ISX in it. Average fuel consumption is 8 mpg say 400 gallons of DERV fuel. At an average of $3,10 per gallon that is $1240 .
Before state transit fees and overhead costs etc are added remember.
So just doing some rudimentary arithmetic -WHICH YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE before signing the deal cannot be completed.
Equally the salesman selling you the rig needs his head examined. In fact I would say both of you need your heads examined.

This is a FORCE MAJEUR where both parties to the transportation contract (if one exists) cannot be completed.
Result deadlock.
You own a Sprinter in Florida ,they can't find a transporter crazy enough to join the two of you and cart your vehicle to Washington.
Solutions:-
Double the compensation to transport to $4000.
Its got to be worth it to do it!

This is a profit based business this car hauling business you know!
OR
Jump on a cheap string bag, the commercial airlines fly in the USA, and pick up your Sprinter.
Get some money back if you pre-paid for the transportation.
Stay off the social lambasting media! In the end mean nothing and you don't get the vehicle in a timely manner,..Just more brain damage!!
Simply go there , fuel it up, & drive it back home.
Its what sane people do you know.
All the best
Dennis

lruss

I bought in GA, live in CA, dealer said shipping quote was $2400, i thought almost reasonbable so sent in the monies, then the dealer came back saying nobody would deliver for less than $6k given its height, so i ended up doing the drive

lindenengineering

I deal with these situation almost daily with failed & paralysis Sprinters in the western USA.

That's why I have posted two reliable transporters I arrange rides with.
Hard enough moving a Landrover let alone a Sprinter.
I still have fond memories of shoehorning a T1N Sprinter out of a truck trailer doing something on the cheap.
Then of course the unexpected--life is funny.
One of my Expeditor customers calls in a Friday afternoon.
HELP one of his vans needs to be towed from a Cheyenne distribution center.
I dispatched my then contract tow guy up to the site arriving around 5 pm. Only to find the van is sat in a creek with flowing river water gushing through the cab & body, cops are there in fact everyone is there complaining about this yellow van.

Getting panic phone calls like WTF am I to do now????
I contacted a local nearby 24 crane service. The rate was $500 to start and $250 to get into the water with lifting straps.

Suffice to state the bill to pay by CC for the crane including dumping it on a trailer at 8,30 pm was $800. Then the tow to Denver!$$$$$$ (Owner had a fit but was short of options)!
And he avoided local fines etc for moving the van so quickly.,
All in a days work for a repair shop.:thumbup:
Dennis

autostaretx

Erratic Member
... Only to find the van is sat in a creek with flowing river water gushing through the cab & body, cops are there in fact everyone is there complaining about this yellow van.
Wouldn't it have been cheaper/acceptable to get it registered as a boat?

--dick (too many floatable VWs in his history)

dynaco1

I love to fly & drive. If I weren't so busy (and had a dealers tag), I'd help you. Frankly, you should grasp this opportunity to see our large homeland. Seattle to Pompano is a mere 3,300 miles. You can fly to Fort Lauderdale on Alaska Air for $500-600 one way, $600 for return fuel and $480 for hotels. This leaves you $320 for food and cocktails. See the Rockies...See DENNIS. Take a picture so we can see the man.

Last edited:

lindenengineering

Yes driving across the USA is the tops.
I have done it four times in commercial vehicles so far, twice in train (a UK built Railbus ) North South-- South North (ultimately to Vic's neck of the woods) and West East/ East West driving a double decker 85 seater coach PLUS

Twice in car west/east east west and once South North.
That trip from New Orleans to Boston Mass almost got me into fist fight at a truck stop in Mississippi.
In that part of the world it seems they are still fighting the Civil War !!!
The Massachusetts license plate suggested I was a goddamn Yankee and that fancy Yankee accent was enough to make these truckers think I was hitten' upon & about to carry off "Our Daisy" behind the counter to more civilized parts of the USA.:laughing: (Actually she was quite looker, a stunner in fact !).:thumbup::thumbup: ( If I had dallied for while I might have!)!
This Cars clip always reminds me of one trip Miami to Hayweird Ca!

Lovely USA!:thumbup::thumbup:
Enjoy
Dennis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrYoRfyUux0

You could always stop at Doctor A's in South Carolina for a quick check before heading west to Lindens in Colorado if there were any issues, or even if there were not. Good insurance and peace of mind is worth a little going out of your way. You can't go wrong with either of them.

I just wish we had someone in the San Diego area comparable. Happy Sprintering!

glasseye

If I hadn't just got back from two N-S transits of the continent, I'd volunteer the fly/drive. Worth it to see Andy and Dennis again.

Oh, and the landscape, too. :thumbup:

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
I would consider flying and driving for you, for airline tickets from ABQ to where your van is and back to ABQ once it is delivered.
Of course you would be on the hook for all fuel and extraneous repairs, etc. And motel rooms, if it isn't set up for sleeping. I wouldn't wander far off track.
I would require that it be mechanically inspected by someone competent (Not the dealer). I would even be willing to take it to said competent mechanic.

Top Bottom