Using the MB Star Xentry/DAS

calbiker

Just purchased the MB Star C3 with Dell D630 + SSD. The speed on the Dell is fairly fast. A few questions.

It knows my VIN, but then asks which model designation: either 901.6 - 905.6 or 690.6. I have '06 3500 T1N.

I got the fault codes, but couldn't find how to stream live data from transmission or engine. Is this possible?

Goofy foot

sliding left...
Calbiker, pretty sure yours is a 903 model series. Cargo van. Look for 316 cdi designation in menu. There are several 903.xx models in list. Even though USA/Canada menu selection appears to include our vans, they appear to be mostly european model choices. Many 4 cylinder models, etc. Hope this helps.

Goofy foot

sliding left...
901 - Passenger van
902 - Conversion van
903 - Cargo van
904 - Minibus
905 - Cab-chassis

906 series is the 07 and after v6 engines. Just noticed you have the Nation, so , yours might be 905.

flman

My C3 reads the odometer in kilometers, I never cared or spent the time to convert it or see if it was accurate.

Goofy foot

sliding left...
I did the conversions....way off every time I've hooked up. flman, do you choose 903.xx...316 cdi...when you scan ? There aren't many choices with the 316cdi in the menu.

flman

I did the conversions....way off every time I've hooked up. flman, do you choose 903.xx...316 cdi...when you scan ? There aren't many choices with the 316cdi in the menu.
I put in the VIN, then pick the NCV3 that fits my 2010, without looking at the menu, do not recall the specifics. But I believe it is the 2nd pick, not the 1st or 3rd? I put my vin in a word file on the desktop for copy and paste, and a post it note to pick the right options after that.

Goofy foot

sliding left...
Cal, I haven't attempted the streaming parameters yet. Still trying to get consistent results from my Quicktests. SBS and Trans not recognized lately and I have a transmission issue I am trying to sort out. Quick tests are suggesting my I have data communication problems with my shifter module. I believe the issue is at the trans conductor plate connection. Anyway, may I suggest we start a Sticky in the scanners category for C3 and C4 diagnostic tools. There are many of us here that have purchased them but very sparse information on how to get started using them. I think we could all benefit. I have found a lot of info in the MMH Auto forum, and the Benzworld.org forum. These guys are way ahead of us in using them as far as I can tell. Hope this helps.

flman

Cal, I haven't attempted the streaming parameters yet. Still trying to get consistent results from my Quicktests. SBS and Trans not recognized lately and I have a transmission issue I am trying to sort out. Quick tests are suggesting my I have data communication problems with my shifter module. I believe the issue is at the trans conductor plate connection. Anyway, may I suggest we start a Sticky in the scanners category for C3 and C4 diagnostic tools. There are many of us here that have purchased them but very sparse information on how to get started using them. I think we could all benefit. I have found a lot of info in the MMH Auto forum, and the Benzworld.org forum. These guys are way ahead of us in using them as far as I can tell. Hope this helps.
Seek Sikwan or Even Aqua Patina for the sticky, and you may receive? :bow:

calbiker

XENTRY is really amazing. It's a huge upgrade from DAD. Live data streaming is easy to get.

Choose Control Units => Drive => CR common rail => Actual Values

The darn thing even knows my oil level. I'm parked on a slope so don't know if that throws it off on the low side.

Attachments

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
The mileage that it displays just after the VIN when you first connect on T1N, doesn't include the 100,000's of kilometers, only the 10,000's. That could be why its reading "wrong". So convert your real mileage to km, then drop the 100,000's column, and it should be the correct value shown in star.

This mileage reading is useful for stored codes that have snapshot live data attached, so you can see how many k's ago it happened.

Last edited:

flman

XENTRY is really amazing. It's a huge upgrade from DAD. Live data streaming is easy to get.

Choose Control Units => Drive => CR common rail => Actual Values

The darn thing even knows my oil level. I'm parked on a slope so don't know if that throws it off on the low side.
As per Linden, actual values is the best way to troubleshoot for deviations, it helped me to replace my rail with the solenoid, and my EBP with accuracy as to solving the problem.

Although I am not sure he intended I get that kind of knowledge from him? :whistle:

dennon4

I have purchased a C4 unit with the help of this forum, I have some questions first does anyone know how to save a scan, all I see is a print to file and I see no option to where to save the file. I was finally able to install a printer but if it is not wireless it is a real pain to get specific error info printed. second has anyone turned on the wireless? I don't think I want to do windows updates. but I do want to save my scans to use for reference at a later date. I am sure I will have more questions at a latter date as I use the scanner more. Thank You in advance.
print to file

D

Deleted member 50714

Well, Ben, I just placed my order!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 50714

Bob, I'm curious as to your thumbs down on a C3/C4? What was the problem with your unit ?
System version did not cover 2015 model. Although, Xing Chen, the seller had offered to resolve the issue and requested I hook the system to my Sprinter so he could have an engineer diagnose the issue. I am not comfortable with the idea of someone 12,000 miles away fiddling with the electronic innards of my $52,000 vehicle. I don't know why it would have to be hooked up to the vehicle to update the software package. I need to study more about it too but now occupied by a more exciting project.

Top Bottom