2011 Fleetwood DSL please help me take the hubcaps off.

AverageJo

2011 Fleetwood Tioga 24DSL

How do I remove the rear hubcaps without breaking them? It has a duel wheels in the rear with the stainless steel hubcaps. Just trying to check the air pressure and it appears to be not easy to remove them. Any help is much appreciated.
Thank you
Ed

AverageJo

Guys come on, am I the only one that checking the air in my tires? Maybe I am the only one that has a hubcaps. Help please

sailquik

AverageJo,
Sorry, can't tell you an easy way to remove your rear SIMULULATORS....the are not called hub caps, even though they are actually hub caps that
simulate the more upscale alloy wheels.
My suggestion is to simply remove them, both front and rear, and get the regular MB front hubcaps that prevent your legs from contacting the
ends of the lug studs.
You can read chapter and verse here on the crazy stuff people do to get around removing the simulators.
The add special valve stems, they add air valve "blocks" than make checking the air in your rear tires quite
easy, but most likely cause a significant imbalance in the rear dual wheel assemblies.
Do some searches here on this forum for things like "removing simulators". There seems to be some special
purpose tools out there that will assist you in removing them to check your air pressure.
Roger
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43392&highlight=simulators

MeRob

AverageJo... I have the same unit as you. And yes...I had the same concerns about checking the rear tire pressures.
However, the wheel covers on my TIOGA, just need to be gently 'pried' off. They are friction fitted onto the rim of the wheel. (just like the 'old' hub caps) Once the cover is off... check to see if there is a valve extenders already installed on the inner wheels. Hopefully you'll have them...
Then you'll need an 'truck-type' air chuck in order to reach the inner valve to adjust the tire pressure (ideally use an air chuck with a pressure gauge attached to it)

Putting the wheel covers back on can be made easier by purchasing a rubber hammer. My covers have a tendency to squeak after a while. The same rubber hammer gently re-seats the covers as required!

Once you have inner tire valve extensions and a proper air chuck... checking all your tire pressures is no longer a problem.

However, if you don't have these valve extensions... I'd seriously look at getting them. (some suggest that the extensions should be replaced along with the tires... when the 'tire age limit is reached) Hope this helps... Rob

AverageJo

Well thank you everyone. I guess there is no easy way. I just thought there was an easier way, but I guess I have to sweat a little before we travel. Other then that, that thing is awesome and we love it. Good luck everyone. :0)

pfflyer

My rear simulators have two screws that hold the hub part on. Then the outer ring is just pried off. You could drive to the nearest tire store and they would check the pressure for free. At least all the major chain tire stores do here in Ga.

Got any pics to see if anyone else has the same?

MeRob

My Tioga is the same as pfflyer's. I'd send a picture IF I knew how! The only time 'Sweat' occurs is the first time that you check your tire pressures. The Process gets quicker ever time you do it. And best of all... YOU know that it was done right. It just looks ugly. Rob

MeRob

I apologize, I should have recommend the 'short' valve extensions for use on the rear duals. You will still have to remove the hub and wheel cover to check the tire pressures, but access to the short valve stem is easy with the angled air chuck. And the short valve extender should not extend through the wheel cover and therefore it cannot be accidentally cut by a shifting wheel cover. Rob

Top Bottom