DIY version of Outside Van bed panel frames?

JP4

I wonder if HF will take 20% off the $99.00 sale price if you present one of those plentiful magazine coupons?

vic

View attachment 67071
Yep. Got mine for $79.99. The hinges are just riveted in, as are the steel tongs on the end. You can even shorten them by drilling out the rivets in a rung, cutting the rails, and bolting or riveting the rung back on.
JP

JP4

One of the 80/20 support rails that will carry the 1 1/2" angle iron. They are secured with two brackets Riv-nutted on each end and will get an additional vertical support bottled to the factory D-ring bolt above the wheel well, which just happens to be where the front end of the bed will be.

JP

Inertiaman

I'm jealous of your short folks that can sleep crosswise in the van!

If I were 8" shorter my bed design would be greatly simplified.

I made the frame with ikea skorva beams which are cool because they are telescoping/adjustable, and $10. You'll have to ask the "as is" dept for some skorva mounting plates because those usually just come with the beds.

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
I had very similar design telescopic steel bars for the child hammock over front seat from Westfalia. Bought it in Germany for my European delivery 1985 VW camper. It was strong enough for 2 small children but we only used it for our youngest son. I found a picture from an older van. It would be nice to have accessory like this for Sprinters. Erecting to bed from a rolled position was a fast.

George.

Attachments

Inertiaman

I made the frame with ikea skorva beams which are cool because they are telescoping/adjustable, and $10. You'll have to ask the "as is" dept for some skorva mounting plates because those usually just come with the beds.
That's one of the better quick-and-dirty solutions that have been proposed, thanks. The adjustable length eliminates a lot of tedium with fitment. If one can live with a 25"-ish bed height, putting 3 or 4 of these across the van, with brackets attached directly to the lower window cavity sill with rivnuts (hence no rails) and some full size plywood on top would yield a pretty functional platform for very little money/effort.

The height of your bed in the photos sure doesn't leave much headroom! Not for claustrophobic folks. :)

That's one of the better quick-and-dirty solutions that have been proposed, thanks. The adjustable length eliminates a lot of tedium with fitment. If one can live with a 25"-ish bed height, putting 3 or 4 of these across the van, with brackets attached directly to the lower window cavity sill with rivnuts (hence no rails) and some full size plywood on top would yield a pretty functional platform for very little money/effort.

The height of your bed in the photos sure doesn't leave much headroom! Not for claustrophobic folks. :)
Yeah if you want some lovin spooning is your only option :)

it's open over the drivers seat which is key for making it easy to climb up. once there doesn't feel too crowded but that's why i went with the thin pillowtop mattress.

jcmaros

So here is what I am doing for my bed rails...

To start off, I have a 2014 Sprinter 2500 Standard Roof Crew, the rails have been formed to bolt on to the meaty part of the side walls. I just could didn't like the thought of spanning the window area without any bracing or backing so I lowered it. You guys know the spot I am talking about. The rails are .125" plate steel

The actual bed panels are are made from 1.5" x 1.5" x 100 wall HSS with 1" x .125" angle to to fit to the inside to allow the plywood to lay inside the frame. A lilttle different but we will see how it works.

Here are the pics I have so far...
20150408_090003.jpg

20150408_092213.jpg

20150408_085950.jpg

20150408_091211.jpg

20150408_092508.jpg

Rensho

To start off, I have a 2014 Sprinter 2500 Standard Roof Crew, the rails have been formed to bolt on to the meaty part of the side walls. I just could didn't like the thought of spanning the window area without any bracing or backing so I lowered it. You guys know the spot I am talking about. The rails are .125" plate steel

The actual bed panels are are made from 1.5" x 1.5" x 100 wall HSS with 1" x .125" angle to to fit to the inside to allow the plywood to lay inside the frame. A lilttle different but we will see how it works.

Here are the pics I have so far...
View attachment 67109

View attachment 67110

View attachment 67111

View attachment 67112

View attachment 67113
Fantastic work! Get an approx weight for us when you can.

jcmaros

Thanks. A buddy of mine really came through with the welding. From he has tons me us that all the panels as you see them in the pics with the clamps it's about 130 lbs. I will confirm the actual weight when I get the plywood on.

I am not sure where he got the spring bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcmaros

Sorry that last post was supposed to say " from what he has told me, it weighs approximately 130 lbs as you see it.

Inertiaman

If the intent it to lay plywood into the frame as you say, then per the pictures the spring pins are on the *top* of the panels rather than underneath?

Nice looking fabrication.

If nothing else your new structure will reduce any flexing of the Sprinter sides. You'll never need to worry about overloading the bed.

vic

Top Bottom