'14 Camper Build

jsilver

We started out w/ a '90 Syncro Westfalia, which we bought in 97, and kept for 5 years. After an engine swap, and many other upgrades and breakdowns, Stephanie finally decided that she didn't want to deal w/ any more breakdowns on the road, and it was time to upgrade. We sold it for a bit more than we paid for it (not counting new engine and upgrades), and got a 4X4 diesel Ford Sportsmobile. We loved that, and had it for 10 years. Last winter, we spent 3 months touring New Zealand in a series of Sprinter vans, and loved them. Fortunately for us, a local fellow was interested in our Sportsmobile, AND, he happened to be the Freightliner dealer.

We got our '14 2500 170, 4 cylinder, pebble gray (actually more like a cafe-au-lait color) the week before Christmas. After the hubbub of the holidays, I began the sound/heat insulation process. I started w/ Second Skin Audio's Spectrum sound deadening paint- several coats over the entire van, floor, walls, ceiling. I had some leftover Brown Bread (an older version of B-quiet), which I put on the wheel wells. Then 3/8" closed cell foam in the floor corrugations, covered by 1/2 horse stall mats. Then I replaced the original floor. Eventually we'll put an engineered wood floor over this. I then put up a layer of Low-E aluma-foam insulation (same as EZ Kool, but I got it locally), on the walls and ceiling. The van is noticeably quieter, now the engine noise is prominent. I also just finished putting the Sportscraft seat swivel on the passneger side. (Question: does anyone have experience w/ Swivel'sRUs swivel for the driver's side, and is it lower thatn Sportscraft and as safe?)

Next steps will be to Thinsulate (thanks Hein!) the interior. I am having full windows put in (CR Laurence, w/ awnings at the rear). I'm having 2 second row seats put in, w/ swivels.

The general plan is for a table between the 2 rows of seats, so that we will use the front as our living/dining area. Galley and storage behind- 4.6 cu ft frig (either Isotherm or Truckfridge);water system using removable plastic jerry cans, with a sink and sprayer long enough to spritz off bodies if need be- also a rear shower; Heat and hot water from an Espar MCS-5 system from Rixens; at least one maxxfan- perhaps another cieling vent/van;

It'll be all electric- I was able to get 390 amphours of LiFePo04 batteries for $1600- a screaming deal (http://electriccarpartscompany.com). I have the factory auxilliary battery and the 250 amp alternator. I'm planning on starting with the Sterling 400 amp alternator to battery charger, and probably their 2500 watt inverter/charger as well. No solar at first- our camping habits are such that I think we'll be fine w/ charging primarily form the alternator. At least one induction burner, and probably a microwave. If need be, we'll use our 2 burner propane stove, which we'll carry anyway for cooking outside- our preference anyways.

Comments, thoughts, feedback, suggestions always welcome!!

I'll try to keep updating as I go. Photos as I am able to figure out how to get them uploaded from phone to computer to forum!

John
Salt Lake City

jackfish

Which batteries did you get to have 390 AH at 12 volts? And how did you get that price?

Last edited:

mtnwater

Looking forward to following your build. I'm awaiting the 2015 model year and plan a similar approach to the conversion. I'd like to learn more about your power system approach - battery capacity sounds awesome!

jsilver

I don't have it in front of me, but if you go to the web page I sent, there's a link to the technical info for the battery. The guy there I'm dealing with says that as long as the charging cuts off at 3.65 volts/cell, it will be good to go. The Sterling Power ProCombi S 2500 watt inverter/charger has a profile that works like that.

John

jackfish

Thanks! So one can really discharge these 90% between full charges without ill effect? And can they be installed on their side?

Last edited:

jsilver

My understanding is that they last longer if discharged to only 80%, which is still pretty impressive. I also understand that they are not so sensitive to the orientation in which they're mounted. I haven't hooked anything up yet, still in the very preliminary stages.

John

westyventures

In the Oregon Outback
Galley and storage behind- 4.6 cu ft frig (either Isotherm or Truckfridge)

Comments, thoughts, feedback, suggestions always welcome!!

John
Salt Lake City
Given the rest of your build, the Truckfridge seems out of place. It, along with Isotherm and Vitrifrigo, are are Indel products, I sell them all. The Truckfridge build quality is fine for most campers on the cheap, but I'd recommend taking a close look at Vitrifrigo's nicer-quality offerings. I sold a C130LXAC (stainless model, remote compressor) to a customer building a new Sprinter conversion last year. I am probably going to install the same in mine. http://www.vfamerica.com/eng/catalog.asp?id=1963&n=oceansteel
At the prices I can get these for, the Truckfridge (that I also sell) isn't that great by comparison.

Karl

Last edited:

Top Bottom