How to Upload Pictures

sikwan

06 Tin Can
When posting a message, you can either click on the paperclick (see red arrow below) or...
paperclip.png

...you can click on the Manage Attachments button near the bottom of the page.
manageattachments.png

You will see this window pop up. Be aware that some browsers will not allow pop up windows. Be sure your browser is set to allow pop up windows.

popup.PNG
At the bottom, you can see the file types and their maximum upload sizes.

Click on the Browse button and find the file that you want to upload from your computer.
There's also an option to provide the full URL path to the file that you want to upload.

Click the Upload button to upload your files.

popup2.PNG
After the files are uploaded, you can close this pop up manage attachments window.

By clicking on the paperclip icon, you can see a pull down menu of files that you have uploaded.
uploadfiles.png

Now you can do one of two things. Either click the Submit New Thread button and it will automatically attach ALL your file(s) or you can select each individual file or insert all the files using the pull down menu and add comments to each picture. Screen captures of the process continue below.

After clicking insert all, you will see the following:

files.png

Add comments either at the top or

comments.png
bottom of the attachments.

The maximum number of inline files per post is 5 - this is also the maximum number of files you can upload.

Last edited:

Don Horner

2012 Unity IB
Let me add just one thing. The number 1 question I have seen on other forums is, "My picture is too large; how can I resize it?"

The first answer is that many photo editing programs have a resize function. They range in price from free (Irfanview) to very expensive and complicated (Adobe Photoshop). However, for the simple purpose of resizing pictures, the best answer I have found is a free "power toy" program from Microsoft.

Here is a link to an article on how to use the resizer:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/learnmore/tips/eschelman2.mspx

And, here is the link to download and install the resizer:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Scroll down; it's the 10th program listed. Once installed, it becomes resident and is always available when you right-click any image on your computer.

Of course, it only works on Windows-based computers. If you're using a Mac or a linux machine all bets are off.

Last edited:

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
Good "How to" write up sikwan. :thumbup:

Don said:
Let me add just one thing. The number 1 question I have seen on other forums is, "My picture is too large; how can I resize it?"
Another way is maybe simpler, and it's right on the camera that you took the picture with! If you know you'll be looking to post pictures, take them at 640X 480 to begin with or choose the resize option (most cameras have this?) and you'll actually get two of the same picture when you download the memory card.

I use an older version of Adobe Photo Deluxe Business Edition. A little tedious to resize multipe photos but, it does give you many options of resizing, trimming, blanking out license plates, adding text, yada, yada...

Last edited:

bikerjoe

I place my photos at Photobucket.com and use alink to point to them. I *think* that reduces the bandwidth I use through the Sprinter forum ... doesn't it? :thinking:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I place my photos at Photobucket.com and use alink to point to them. I *think* that reduces the bandwidth I use through the Sprinter forum ... doesn't it? :thinking:
Yes it certainly does. :clapping:

Couple reasons that I can think we need the ability to upload pics are...

1. Sometimes pictures within threads get lost, moved, deleted, etc. if it's placed in a photobucket of some sort. It's especially important within the Write-Up and Datasbase section. This way we have more control.

2. Users don't have to do extra steps if they want to post pictures.

We don't have the bandwidth problem yet, so you're welcome to upload pictures. :thumbup:

Thanks for being considerate! :rad:
Seek

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
Scott If you want an easier photo processor try Picasa2. It's free from Google ( http://picasa.google.com/ ) Works really well for most adjustments needed to spruce up your pictures and has resizer for e mailing.

Dave C.
Hi Dave, just read your response thanks to the thread "bump" from bikerjoe.
I had Picassa (1 I assume) a couple of years ago. I just did not like how it sort of owned every picture you transfered from your camera card etc. Proprietary (right term?) programs irritate me. I did love the "batch" resize feature though.

sikwan said:
We don't have the bandwidth problem yet, so you're welcome to upload pictures.
That's surprising given all the gum-flapping from that Aussie:tongue:

But seriously, a question: Does quoting a post use more bandwidth?

I tried to upload a picture. It was too big so I edited it (in paint), and its 39k. BUT, when I try to upload it, I get:

Roof01.JPG:
The Dimension limits for this filetype are 900 x 0. We were unable to resize your file so you will need to do so manually and upload it again. Your file is currently 1296 x 972.

I don't know what "dmiension limits" are. When I edit it in paint, and click "attributes", it says:

Size on disk: 39,833
Resolution: 96X96 dots per inch
Width: 34.29 Heigth: 25.71

WTF?

Thanks

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Your file is currently 1296 x 972.
Let's say you're in Paint. Click on Image, Attributes (Cntrl-E). With your file, it should read Width=1296 and Height=972.

The forum is set to a Maximum width of 900 pixels. To decrease your 1296 value or any value, divide the number by 900. For example, 900 / 1296 = 0.694 (0.694 * 100 = 69.4%). Go back to Paint and click on Image, Stretch/Skew (Cntrl-W). In BOTH the Horizontal & Vertical boxes, enter 69. Hit OK or Return. Paint will resize your image to some 900 width value or lower.

Let's say you're in Paint. Click on Image, Attributes (Cntrl-E). With your file, it should read Width=1296 and Height=972.
My problem was when I clicked on Image, Attributes, the "units" was CM, not pixels.

Thanks so much for the help! I posted my pics in the "washing the rooftop" thread.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
easier photo processor try Picasa2.
To quote from Picasa's user guide:
One of the most popular -- and most hidden -- features of Picasa is the ability to resize photos. Use the Export button to quickly resize your photos.
..so it's not blatantly obvious (and Picasa does other things.. some good, some interestingly intrusive on your system)
(for example: during installation there is no obvious way to *prevent* it from scanning a good chunk of your system looking for photos)

If you *just* want to resize photos, there are free dedicated apps for that purpose.
One is "Photo Resize Magic" from http://www.realfiletools.com/free/
To resize: 1. Set new photo size (50% or 800*600 etc.).
2. Click menu "File" item "Resize single photo".
3. Select a photo and click OK.

Me? I usually use Paint (the "CM" is a drop-box... you can select which measurement system you'd like), but i'm trying Picasa due to jammy's posting. (which generated the "intrusive" comment above (it's been scanning my My Doc area for the last 15 minutes))

--dick
p.s. Picasa is now up to version 3.8
p.p.s. Picasa resize instructions: http://picasa.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13821

Last edited:

marty1

Click on Insert Image button.
Enter the URL of the image.

When I am logged in I see some text. When I log out I see the picture. Am I doing something wrong?

sikwan

06 Tin Can
When I am logged in I see some text. When I log out I see the picture. Am I doing something wrong?
I see the (linked) picture when I'm logged in and logged off. You should be seeing the same. Try using a different browser.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
I find using the forums attachments... {
} Far Superior than a third party link that does a runner, as many do.
autum 007 (Custom)-1 copy.jpg
Signed permanent resident.

heckler

Great site guys, but I can't believe you're not using the tags to show pictures instead of having to click on each and every one of your attachments.

for example.

[IMG ]http://topgeek.smugmug.com/Other/Random-2011/i-g9NVMVx/0/L/DSC04118-L.jpg

without the spaces after IMG results in

Copy a url to the picture (right click, properties), then the little yellow mountain and sun icon in the reply to thread box.

You can do this with any uploaded file, including ones that get attached to a thread.

[IMG ]https://sprinter-source.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36280&d=1313644131[/IMG]

results in

mods? why isn't this working?

hmmm.... I just changed from Chrome to Firefox. Seems the

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Great site guys, but I can't believe you're not using the tags to show pictures instead of having to click on each and every one of your attachments.[/QUOTE]

Reason why uploading is better than hosting a picture at some other site and using [img] tags is because the image stays with us and becomes part of the forum. A lot of free picture hosting sites do not host images forever. The ones that do host images forever, the user may mistakenly delete or feel like they need to remove pictures that they don't need which cause grief on write-ups.

I actually like your train of thought (host images somewhere else and use the [img] tag) because it saves on server bandwidth, but only for non-crucial, non-Sprinter related content.

[QUOTE="heckler, post: 151061, member: 20093"]for example.

[PHP][IMG]http://topgeek.smugmug.com/Other/Random-2011/i-g9NVMVx/0/L/DSC04118-L.jpg[/PHP]
The above link between tags works for me.

[QUOTE="heckler, post: 151061, member: 20093"]You can do this with any uploaded file, including ones that get [B]attached to a thread[/B].

[PHP][IMG]https://sprinter-source.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36280&d=1313644131[/PHP][/QUOTE]

The above works for me (logged in only), but why would you want to wrap tags around an uploaded file? Just place them inline.

The only reason to wrap [img] tags around uploaded images is when you're referencing an image that you [B]did not[/B] upload (belongs to another user that you want to quote).

[QUOTE="heckler, post: 151061, member: 20093"]mods? why isn't this working?

hmmm.... I just changed from Chrome to Firefox. Seems the [IMG] tags aren't working in Chrome, but they work fine for me on other forums.[/QUOTE]

It works for me, but the key thing is that you need to be logged in to the forum to view images that were uploaded. It saves on server bandwidth when users are required to log in and view images. Plus, it prevents bandwidth being stolen if someone links pictures that reside on this site.

I think what you're seeing is Firefox caches its images when you're logged in. Then when you log off, you see the image that Chrome doesn't see.

I am having a problem posting photos when I click on manage attachments I can up load 5 pics but only the last one selected comes up when I click on the paper clip.
The pics are only small 85 kb so size shouldn't be the problem .
Any help would be appreciated .:thinking:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I can up load 5 pics but only the last one selected comes up
Try something in the "test" section of the forum... https://sprinter-source.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33

Browse for, and upload, five images.
Then re-open the Manager window (the one that controls browsing and uploading)
Does it show all five (eligible for "Removing")?
If yes, proceed to: close that windowlet, and just end (submit/post) your test message... DON'T try to use the paperclip to position them.
Closing a posting with photos pending in the "upload" condition should cause all five to be appended to the message
(now open it as a Reader, and see if they're there)

What browser (IE (what version), Firefox, Safari, Chrome?) are you using, and what operating system (Windows (flavor), Mac OSX, other)

--dick

Try something in the "test" section of the forum... https://sprinter-source.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33

Browse for, and upload, five images.
Then re-open the Manager window (the one that controls browsing and uploading)
Does it show all five (eligible for "Removing")?
If yes, proceed to: close that windowlet, and just end (submit/post) your test message... DON'T try to use the paperclip to position them.
Closing a posting with photos pending in the "upload" condition should cause all five to be appended to the message
(now open it as a Reader, and see if they're there)

What browser (IE (what version), Firefox, Safari, Chrome?) are you using, and what operating system (Windows (flavor), Mac OSX, other)

--dick
Thanks for your suggestion but no joy I am using Safari as my browser when I select 5 images and upload them only the last selected comes up in the remove option box I have tried with only 2 photos and the result is the same.
Might be a problem with compatability with Safari(Apple).

Top Bottom