Bunk Bed or Raised Platform installation

kentuckycamper

We are going with a bunk bed system or raised platform for a bed in the back of our van. I was wondering what kind of materials and setup you all use to build and support the bunk beds or raised platform?

I'd prefer to just install a rail type system along the sides of the van and a platform that would lay across the van on the 2 rails. However, I'm not sure what material would support the weight of the platform and 2 children while still not weighing the van down.

If this has been posted/answered previously I apologize but I couldn't find it. Thank you for your help.

Sinatorj

Used E track and rivnuts in mine. Attached to the ribs. Also put a 2x6 in to span a void. So far so good...

We've been happy with the installed E-track and cross supports for a platform bed in the 2006.

I used self drilling sheet metal screws to attach the E-track to the OEM wall metal. Were I to install it again I'd likely just use 3/16" steel pop rivets. In the unlikely event that the E-track would need to be removed, the pop rivets could be drilled out.

It creates a very strong bed support. Down legs to the floor are not needed as additional support.

E-track Rear Deck Bed Support
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52227

There are many other DIY installation suggestions from other owners.

:cheers: vic

travisap

2008 Dodge Sprinter Campervan
We went with a fixed bed platform using a combination of 1x and 2x3s with a 1/4" sheet of plywood for the top. We have a vertical plywood divider down the middle of our 'garage' for additional support which allows us to get away with a pretty light structure.

This would be an interesting poll!

This would be an interesting poll!
Not to rain on your parade, but I don't think that it would be very useful.

When it comes to beds and conversions there are just too many varied goals for Euro van owners.

I use our Sprinters for occasional camping. I have no real need for built-ins. The cross support E-track that I installed works great for me. The bed is relatively easy to assemble/disassemble. (I'm not doing that regularly.) When the bed isn't set up the E-track works well for securing loads, hanging tool bags, etc.

What works well for me wouldn't work for many other campers. There's just too many modes and uses for our Sprinters that a small number of designs would work for everyone.

:2cents: vic

Top Bottom