4 vs 6 cylinders

Onefin

17” opens up lots of options for AT tires in a 255 width.
The 701 is a nice wheel.
The Falkens should be a good tire.

If BFG offered a 255/80r17 AT or better yet, a 255/85r16 I’d be stoked.

The cooper pull scares me. I’ve heard the mastercraft courser pulls less, but who knows?

I’ll probably try the Yokohamas, unless a deal pops up on the Toyo MT. My buddy has 255/85r16 Toyo on his GWagen and they’re good, by they’re also on a G not a sprinter.

molopo905

Only reason to get a V6 is you're really heavy and towing big loads over mountains. You'll hold a higher top speed with the bigger torque of the V6. If you're not in that category, I4 with the 7-speed is a great combo. We are right around 8500 lbs with full liquids, gear, 33" tires, and appreciate the added torque when driving in higher thin air. The 33" tires take quite a bit more power to keep rolling at their ideal psi compared to the stock sized tires. If you don't fit this category (think Class C towing a jeep), then I struggle to see a benefit to the V6 over I4 anywhere else.

If you could get the current V6 7-speed combo, my opinion would be different. But, sounds like that's not in your decision tree.
Thanks for the insight, I was initially looking at v6 only but it sounds more and more that the i4 is the way to go. I've seen a few on the sites for sale hopefully one pops up at a good price soon.

molopo905

Wow, already on your second set of Cooper ST Maxx tires? Did you get any credit on the first set of Coopers?

I replaced my Cooper ST Maxx 255/85-16 tires yesterday. They had 15k on them but they were cupping and getting noisier. The noise was reasonable when new but my van is fully insulated and sound proofed now to the point all I hear is the tires. They also continue to pull right. I did rotate them around 10k, maybe I should have rotated sooner. They were excellent in the snow and looked great.

I replaced my factory 16” alloys with 17” Method 701 wheels so I had more tires to choose from. Not many tires available in 255/85-16 except mud tires. 17” offered both Falken and Nokian AT tires in 255/80-17.

I went with the Falken Wildpeak AT in a 255/80-17 measuring 33.1” in diameter, 0.3” larger than the Coopers. So far they are very quiet, even less noise than new KO2s. Pulling to right is also gone.

I have a set of five Coopers mounted on factory alloys for sale cheap in San Diego. Spare is new. Just need TPMS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dang I am in SD for the night, would have love to see your set up. Is that lifted or just after market suspension?

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
Is that lifted or just after market suspension?

Basically Agile RIP package. Front coil-over suspension adds almost 2”. Rear leaf spring pack adds 3-4” over stock 4x4. Tires add another 1.5” at each corner.

molopo905

Basically Agile RIP package. Front coil-over suspension adds almost 2”. Rear leaf spring pack adds 3-4” over stock 4x4. Tires add another 1.5” at each corner.

Was this an easy bolt on addition or did you have to take it in for the work to be done?

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
Was this an easy bolt on addition or did you have to take it in for the work to be done?

I paid Agile to do the work. You can install yourself. I helped a forum member install a set of Agile coil-over springs and some rear spacer blocks. The Agile rear leaf packs are very heavy compared to the stock leaf springs so you might need help lifting them in place.

Wheeljack

I love the Wildpeaks. It's amazing how a tire that aggressive can be so quiet. They've been holding up pretty well also. And I think they were under $700 mounted and balanced.

John E

I'm very happy with the I4 engine in my 3500. And I'm probably around 9K lbs, with this work van filled with tools and materials.

In the tire discussion, I put on the Nokian Hakka LT2's studded tires for winter, and they are incredible. I run goodyear Duratracs in the summer, which is a winter rated tire, and the difference between these tires is night and day in the snow. I was reminded of just how much this past week when we got back to back 6" storms and I swapped tires in-between. And the duratracs are good snow tires, I have them on my Sierra 4x4 with a plow.

molopo905

I'm very happy with the I4 engine in my 3500. And I'm probably around 9K lbs, with this work van filled with tools and materials.

In the tire discussion, I put on the Nokian Hakka LT2's studded tires for winter, and they are incredible. I run goodyear Duratracs in the summer, which is a winter rated tire, and the difference between these tires is night and day in the snow. I was reminded of just how much this past week when we got back to back 6" storms and I swapped tires in-between. And the duratracs are good snow tires, I have them on my Sierra 4x4 with a plow.
This thread really took a turn and started a discussion about tires lol. Thanks for the input on the 4 v 6 discussion.. as for the tires are you guys able to fit a full size spare underneath?

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
......as for the tires are you guys able to fit a full size spare underneath?

I had previously modified my spare tire cage to accommodate my 255/85-16 Cooper ST Maxx tires. Discount Tire crew had no problem installing the slightly larger Falken 255/80-17.

Top Bottom