cabin filter change.

terra_firma

Just did mine. Wasnt too bad but i noticed some things.

-the video helped, showing the edge of the filter facing you goes in First, and the rear edge of the filter goes in. There is indeed an angle, the front edge of the filter goes in the housing deeper than the rear edge

-wasnt completely sure if its seated right, it wouldnt go further but the back edge of the filter didnt wanna stay put and i kinda had to get the cover on quickly before it fell down. Is it possible to seat it wrong if i got the cover and latches back on?

-hook the cover to the back of the housing first, and then the front, then slide back into place

-foam on cover was pretty much gone, totally gone on the side that meets up with the latches. Gonna need some pretty thin weatherstripping to repair. Could i just tape the seam shut?

Im gonna recheck the filter and vacuum the gross cloth stuff tomorrow since it started raining right when i finished

terra_firma

Any thoughts on replacing the foam strips/taping up the housing? If the missing foam is rendering the filter useless i'd wanna take care of it

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Using some weatherstripping tape is a good idea. A few pieces of aluminum duct tape to seal the cover can't hurt, and may help reduce losses.

Turning the fan on high and feeling around the cover will help you identify if you have any leaks.

B

billintomahawk

2002 Freightliner T1N

Found the cabin filter...

Sucked it clean with the shop vac...

I was wanting to put it back flat until I watched the video and angled it up in front.

I redid the front gasket with packing tape.
The clips that hold the insulating blanket are humorous.

So that's two dead mice in the fan and a mouse nest underneath, a burned out speed module and the nest above.

They say the mosquitos are bad in Wisconsin but there is worse.

bill in tomahawk.

Last edited by a moderator:

The clips that hold the insulating blanket are humorous.
bill in tomahawk.
I gave up on those. The 2004 now has some light bungee cord holding the outer insulation up into place.

The 2006 came without any outer insulation. I'm with Chris as to it being worth replacing or not.

It is not a big deal if you don't have the insulating blanket as a cover. I was missing mine when I purchased it. Made one out of thinsulate, but that one got some mice up in it and it is off now with no ill effects at all.

Chris
I found some sticky one side foam insulation tape worked to replace the crumbled OEM joint seal on both the 2004 and 2006.

vic

B

billintomahawk

I gave up on those. The 2004 now has some light bungee cord holding the outer insulation up into place.

The 2006 came without any outer insulation. I'm with Chris as to it being worth replacing or not.

I found some sticky one side foam insulation tape worked to replace the crumbled OEM joint seal on both the 2004 and 2006.

vic
Vic,
I've got some Velcro kicking around, might try that.

b

az7000'

2007 Navion on a 2006 3500 chassis
I was just about to ask about the clips, I suppose if i snap a clip forcing it I can bungee or velcro it up. I can't figure out that clip!

monoloco

Has anyone had problems with Hengst cabin air filter fitment? I ordered one from Europarts SD and it seems to be about a 1/4" large on both sides to fit into the housing.

Lately the 2006 cabin fan has had a wub wub background noise. I was thinking that it could be the cabin filter plugging or some other duct restriction. Our 1995 Buick once sucked a 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper up into the intake. Not easy to track down.

Pulled the not too old cabin filter. Looked fine. Small debris was in the dirty side chamber. Duct from the fan looked ok.

I reached into the fan cage to feel around. I felt a rather large dried out maple leaf on the inside radius of the fan cage. Removed that and the noise is gone.

It must have been causing turbulence. It didn't really seem to have been dampening the overall air flow, but I guess that it must have had some negative effect.

:cheers: vic

Garandman

The garage told me I don’t have a cabin air filter! So I’m guessing mine must be dirty....

Update: dirty was a huge understatement! What does the dealer charge for OEM replacement?

Last edited:

Garandman

Anyone have the part number for the blanket? Mine is present but kind of beat.

Cabin air filters:

Mercedes 9018300418
Dodge 5103600AA
Mann CUK3858
Purolator TC35834

Last edited:

Garandman

No.

This could have happened anytime in 13 years. Presumably when the previous owners weren’t using it much.

Garandman

OEM filter was $62 at Mercedes of Manchester, NH. Aftermarket carbon filters run $22-$45.

Disinfecting advice: https://publichealthinsider.com/201...u-suspect-rodents-are-living-in-your-vehicle/

What do I do if I see evidence of rodents in the engine compartment?
  • Start by disconnecting the cables from the battery so that you don’t get shocked while cleaning up the compartment!
  • Using 1 part Chlorine bleach to 9 part water solution (or a commercial disinfectant) spray the materials until fully soaked. Make sure the materials are really drenched.
  • Let it sit for 5 minutes (or follow the manufacturer’s instructions for disinfection time).
  • Then using your papers towels, pick up the material and throw everything away in the garbage bag.
  • After you’ve thrown away the droppings and nesting materials, clean the rest of the area with additional disinfectant. Don’t reconnect the battery until the compartment is dry.
  • Wash the gloves with disinfectant or soap. Take off the gloves, then wash your hands with soap and water.
At least they didn’t gnaw through the filter, which I’ve seen on motorcycles.

Last edited:

The greatest danger for exposure is while cleaning out the nesting material, etc.

Disinfecting with a bleach solution may be great for sanitizing, but flooding the engine bay with it may not be so great for electrical connections or other components.

Before installing the new cabin filter I wouldn't hesitate to spritz a mild beach solution on the plastic duct parts. If I were to bother cleaning the general engine bay something like Lysol cleaner would probably be my choice.

:2cents: vic

D

Deleted member 50714

Common to air-filter box, a light misting until surface is wet is sufficient for pathogen eradication.

Relating to air distribution vents, I would open all the vents, max out the fan, and if you have one, take a leaf blower and try to air flush from the engine compartment. I also do a back flush of each vent as much as easily possible possible.

After as much dust is flushed out, I would max out the fan, and spray Lysol spray in the air-intake, turn off the fan and continue spraying until no air flows out the vents, this will keep Pathogen killing residual Lysol inside the air Plenum's. I'm partial to the baby powder fragrance.

For a strategic engine compartment cleaning, I use a handheld sprayer with Dawn dish soap to rinse off aerosol engine degreaser.

Attachments

Top Bottom