What’s the best oil for my Sprinter

Guido426

Probably been covered a lot, but I couldn’t find any good answers. My Sprinter is ready for its first change. Always used Mobile 1 in my other vehicles, but never had a diesel. I know I need to use 229.5. I’ve seen Motul, Ravenol and genuine Mercedes. The Motul is priced good, and so is the Ravenol. Just not familiar with either brands. They get good reviews

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
Mobil 1 ESP 0W/30 is 229.52 approved by MB and available periodically from NAPA for just over $5 a quart.
I stock up when it is at that price.
Anything 229.52 approved will be fine. Ordinary Mobil 1 is not acceptable as it has too much sulphated ash.

Last edited:

Sprinter SS

Guido...

I am always up for an oil thread. Not sure what engine you have but my point of view is from the OM642 standpoint. I have had 4 of these engines and I have had a variety of experiences. Best description comes from my 2011 GL350. When it was new the recommended oil from MB was the Mobil 1 5/40 (229.51 spec). Then three years later they pull the 5/40 and give you 0/30 or 5/30. Living in a hot climate I used the 5/30. This was around 78k miles. Now at 148k she is using oil like a drunk sailor and that's at 5k mile intervals and easy cold engine running. Now with my 2016 4x4 sprinter I moved to the approved 5/40 Motul 229.51 8100 xclean. I only have 26k miles but I think a lighter oil is not good for the long run unless you are in Canada or something. I happen to be in the furnace known as Houston Tx.

To each his own in this category however..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Guido426

I have the 6 in mine, sorry I didn’t mention.
I was thinking about the Motul, live in NV. Probably go with the 5/40

D

Deleted member 50714

Probably been covered a lot, but I couldn’t find any good answers. My Sprinter is ready for its first change. Always used Mobile 1 in my other vehicles, but never had a diesel. I know I need to use 229.5. I’ve seen Motul, Ravenol and genuine Mercedes. The Motul is priced good, and so is the Ravenol. Just not familiar with either brands. They get good reviews
On the serious side, any brand you are comfortable and meets or exceeds the specification referenced in the OM.

CactusJackSlade

Personally, I use AMSOIL in all my machinery, from my tractors, law mowers to my Sprinter (5W-30 I-ESP Euro Oil). I use Mobile 1 in a pinch.

Top Bottom