Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Winnebago / Itasca

Winnebago / Itasca Itasca Navion, Winnebago View.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:46 PM   #11
Old Crows
Calypso 2014 View Profile

Thanked 2,146 Times in 1,345 Posts
Default Re: 2019 Winnebego View. Serious Battery Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxious View Post
Yeah, I was curious about the battery ground quick disconnct attachment continuity integrity as well. Spring blade contraption that grips the stud looks flimsy. I cleaned the stud threads, re-torqued to spec and dabbed an itt-bitty blot of dielectric grease on da stud. Ooooh!!! (Okay, let me have it with the "stud" wisecracks) lol.
So you are a sort of "Studley DoRight?

Knowing how mfgrs pinch a nickel till the Bison turns blue...... I don't think Mother intended that contraption to be used on a regular basis. Emergency disconnect. Maybe once or twice a year....or maybe never.

Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:46 PM   #12
WinnieView1
2014 Winnebago View 24G

From our owners manual;

Only switch the vehicle to de-energized using the battery main switch if:
  • the vehicle is stationary for a lengthy period
  • it is absolutely necessary

Just how many posts do you suppose could be attributed to a 'poor connection' or none at all after the battery main switch is used?
Old 07-13-2019, 08:01 PM   #13
Old Crows
Calypso 2014 View Profile

Thanked 2,146 Times in 1,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnieView1 View Post
From our owners manual;

Only switch the vehicle to de-energized using the battery main switch if:
  • the vehicle is stationary for a lengthy period
  • it is absolutely necessary

Just how many posts do you suppose could be attributed to a 'poor connection' or none at all after the battery main switch is used?
Good question...

Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:17 PM   #14
4wheeldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOXOMOXOA View Post
We have a 2019 Winnebego View.

I have it parked in my driveway with the shore power plugged into my house. In under a week the chassis battery dies and it wonít start.

Even pushing the bump switch under the dashboard doesnít start the engine, also the generator wonít start either.
So the Chassis and the coach batteries are in my opinion being depleted way too soon,
And I donít believe it should with it plugged in.
Looking at the power panel above the refrigerator shows that all the batteries are at full charge, It also has a solar panel on the roof, and says that it is charging.

Iím not sure what to do at this point.

I plan on buying this Trick L start that everyone is talking about. And possibly replacing the chassis battery if not all of them, It is still under warranty but I donít know if I even want to del with that after reading what everyone is saying.
Given that you have a 2019 Winnebago, the chassis is a 2018, correct?
ALL 2018 Sprinters sat for many months while MB worked things out to make it legal to sell them. I suspect that the batteries sat uncharged for that time as well.
I have a 2019 Revel, on a 2018 chassis. MB says the battery passes their "Test"......But the voltage drops to 12V even in a week. Still starts at that voltage, but I don't think it will last very long.
4wheeldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:56 PM   #15
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,670 Times in 5,611 Posts

In another "why is my battery going flat?" thread, it turned out (only mentioned in passing many posts into the thread) that the owner was leaving the side sliding door open when the van was "parked".

When a door is open, the Sprinter is like a puppy: "What? Are we gonna PLAY?!?! (bounce, bounce)" and will not enter "full sleep" mode.

So when the van is theoretically "off", be sure to put in into an "off" condition: keys out of locks, doors shut.
(windows can be left open)

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
Philip53 (07-14-2019), showkey (07-16-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 06:51 AM   #16
AOXOMOXOA

Thanks for all the answers everyone.
I bought the Trik L start and I’m waiting for it to arrive.

I’ll hook it up and let it sit for a spell and see what happens.

Also since it’s a new Winnie. We want to give the dealer a chance to check it out before we go replacing any batteries.
That was my first thought.

Just replace all 3 batteries.

But we’ll give them a chance first.
AOXOMOXOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:33 PM   #17
billbo

I think you have group 31 house batteries in the 2019, check it out. Read the other posts about the fridge on this forum and understand the interaction of dual charging systems on the house batteries.

The Trik-L-Start will definitely keep the chassis (engine start) battery up by any charging going to the house batteries. I keep my solar controller set for FLA batteries even though the chassis battery is AGM. I have never seen more than 14.4 actually going to the chassis battery even when the solar controller is putting out 14.7 in absorption mode to the house batteries. The voltage drop is actually preventing the AGM batteries from getting overcharge voltage. I will need to change that setting if I correct the solar install. The PD9245 won't put out more than 14.4 so safe for AGM chassis battery.

You have a nice rig but will need to get on top of the charging/battery issues. I have no confidence in the OEM house batteries, get real deep cycle batteries when you replace those. Something like Trojans T-145. I went for the big T-1275s in parallel for max amp hours but if you watch and understand the charging process you can get by with less deep cycle battery.

I used a trickle charger until my Trik-L-Start came to keep the chassis battery charged, plugged into the outlet below the xcite system - it is "always on".
billbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billbo For This Useful Post:
Old Crows (07-15-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 07:20 PM   #18
showkey

Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,113 Posts

As autostar said this is the classic chassis battery goes dead or low while sitting.......dozens of reports with the exact same concern.

It’s also going to be the classic MB chassis vs RV platform pointing fingers. Until a skilled tech actually measures parasitic draw while the van is in “full sleep mode” every thing is guess.

If we’re guessing.......
If the chassis battery has a constant higher than normal amp draw while parked........the past prime suspects are:

1. Radio, amps, DVD and Navi units ( #1 suspect)
2. Alarms and remote start units. Especially aftermarket units.
3. Inverter connected to chassis battery.
4. Add on accessory that is keeping the CAN BUS from sleeping.
5. Connection that is allowing the device in the house to drain the chassis battery.
6. Trailer or tow rig drawing power or brake controller etc

A chassis charger or maintainer should not be needed if the chassis system is normal when stored or parked for 2/3 weeks.

Last edited by showkey; 07-16-2019 at 07:23 PM.
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:04 AM   #19
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,670 Times in 5,611 Posts

And look at the product name: "Trik-L-Start" ... it won't charge your battery very quickly. It's more a "maintainer" than a flat-out "charger".

Bring any "dead" battery up to charge with a "real" charger before expecting the Trik-L-Start to be useful.

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))

Last edited by autostaretx; 07-17-2019 at 02:06 AM.
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:05 AM   #20
billbo

Well yes, the number one problem with the chassis battery going down is the xcite system/navi whatever you want to call it. You can pop the SD card out but I don't recommend it, bad card slot and hard to get the thing back mounted. I believe that thing actually runs Windows imbedded OS - strange. The only good solution is to keep the "radio" switch in house and not chassis position which does eliminate that problem draw and put it on the house side.

No trickle charger will recharge a dead battery. Agreed. The only purpose for the Trik-L-Start is so you won't forget to plug in a trickle charger or have to deal with a wire in the way. Once the Trik-L-Start is installed you never worry about it again, done and over until that battery dies. Of course nothing is going to help if the battery was damaged sitting on a lot and down in the dirt too long. Extreme discharge kills engine start batteries since they are made to deliver high amps in short bursts only, lots of thin lead plates, easily damaged and ruined by severe discharge.
billbo is offline   Reply With Quote