9" Infotainment GPS Problems

ArtistWithAView

2017 View J
Hello everyone,

I have been experiencing problems with my 9" GPS system in my 2017 View J and wanted to post my experiences.

Since new I have had problems with sluggish performance and 'lock-ups' of my GPS. My dealer and Winnebago Customer Service directed me to RiverPark. We updated and replaced numerous cards, swapped out the head unit and installed a new GPS antenna.

Now it does not crash as often but I am still experiencing 'lock-ups' where I get a dialog box that says the unit must be restarted. The lock-ups are random and unfortunately it has occurred when I most needed the guidance.

RiverPark does not know what else to do and had the developer from Europe work with me. The developer in Europe tested the head unit I sent back and said it was working properly. He said not to expect the XITE/RandMcNally to be as fast or smooth as a phone or Garmin because it is a complex system and that occasional 'lock-ups' are to be expected, perhaps once per trip.

I can no longer trust the unit for navigation and I do not know where to go for help, but will keep complaining to whoever will listen. In the meantime I am going to buy a 6" Garmin RV GPS for $290 that IS fast and smooth. Any ideas?

Steve in Iowa
2017 View J

Philip53

2021 2500 Sprinter 170, 4 cyl gas
Sorry Steve, I don't have any ideas, as my '17 J also does the lock up thing, usually once per day on a trip. They did send me a new updated, latest, greatest card a while back. It may (?) have helped a bit by reducing the number of lock ups, but it still does it--just like yours. From other, earlier posts on this system, I would imagine the info you got from them last was correct--that we can just expect occasional problems. Too bad.......we should not have to put up with this seemingly correctable problem.

hi everyone,
Mine does the same. When it did lock up, i worried a lot cuz i was in traveling into areas I had never been to before. But I quickly discovered that although the unit is frozen on the screen, the gps is still working. The warning and notifications still worked and i had no problem reaching my destination. Hence, I will always travel with my portable gps as a backup. Safe travels.

Michael
2015 Navion 24J

Geriakt

2017 View 24J
I think I have read other posts on this forum that some of these freeze ups with the 7 in River Park GPS has to do with under powered voltage to the radio and the unit functions well when powered by the house battery switch when underway.
I have used my 7 inch river park for one year and the GPS did freeze up the first few times I was on the road. After I upgraded the GPS software I never had a freeze up again.

bigfatguy

I've got the 9" RiverPark system in my 170M, and it sucks.

The camera fails to "come ready" about 10% of the time. The GPS is sluggish and makes poor routing decisions. The touchscreen is of poor response. The audio quality sucks.

Mine was just replaced under warrantee when the lower half of the touchscreen went completely dead.

I'm hoping I can find a good replacement for it... Preferably one with Android Auto so I can just use my cell phone's GPS.

Wine Country

I am on number 4. The current on is much better. Running on house is a good idea, when you stop it keeps running and you don't need to reload your destination.

bigfatguy

I haven't done any hardcore due-dilligence with the suggestion, but my car-audio guy suggests the Kenwood DDX6904s or DDX9904s as a good replacement for the RiverPark system if you are OK using Android Auto or Apple Carplay instead of a built-in GPS... which, frankly, to me, sounds like a bit of heaven.

it sounds like the turn-key installation will be in the $600-$900 range, depending on unit and Sprinter options... That's less than I paid for the Riverpark system, but it's still a lot of dang money that I don't really want to have to lay out...

On a happier note, the post-warrantee-replacement radio in my rig seems to behave better than it's predecessor... but we'll see how things hold up over time.

Wine Country

My Riverpark is now pretty good. Keep in mine the system does support RVs. You put in your size and I routes you where you won't find a low bridge. I also like speed warning.
You can use your phone nav and the Riverpark. Read the manual. Update your nav card. Keep it until you hate it.

unclejay

New (left over) 2016 Sprinter Winnebago ERA 70c, Riverpark unit displays the map OK but cannot find location or route, and there is a GPS-Red Circle icon displaying on the screen meaning No GPS. Verified by checking lat-long, it points to Illinois, I am in AZ. Funny thing is, there are stored favorites also in Illinois (Im guessing it was the delivery driver, I bought the unit in Ohio.) So the GPS was working at one time.

Does anybody know where the antenna is ? Is it the one on the cab roof or is it under the dash ?

Possibly a low voltage issue ?

Geriakt

2017 View 24J
New (left over) 2016 Sprinter Winnebago ERA 70c, Riverpark unit displays the map OK but cannot find location or route, and there is a GPS-Red Circle icon displaying on the screen meaning No GPS. Verified by checking lat-long, it points to Illinois, I am in AZ. Funny thing is, there are stored favorites also in Illinois (Im guessing it was the delivery driver, I bought the unit in Ohio.) So the GPS was working at one time.

Does anybody know where the antenna is ? Is it the one on the cab roof or is it under the dash ?

Possibly a low voltage issue ?
The GPS anttenna in my river park is taped to the top of the radio. You will need to pull the radio to see it ( not hard to do). I assume your anntenna may have gotten unpluged.

ArtistWithAView

2017 View J
I talked to the developer last week and he said they are aware of the problems and are working with Rand McNally to get the issues of system crashes and sluggish performance resolved. I am encouraged that they acknowledge there is a problem and are working to resolve it.

Arcrider

I have a 2017 Nation 24J. We're driving from Seattle to San Francisco and this thing locks up every 15 minutes. I have upgraded the software, everything and it is still horrible. It's unbelievable how a high quality vehicle like the Navion can have a piece of junk like this.

I had all the same problems with the GPS unit in my 2016 Navion. It was replaced once and after a few months it was worse. When programming a destination it took so long for it to find the route that my wife and I would joke we could drive to our destination faster! It really became a problem when it would lose track of where we were. The vehicle indicator would show we were 15 --20 miles farther back than where we were. Finally gave up and replaced with an aftermarket unit. It doesn't have the "RV specific" features but I haven't missed them in over a year with the new unit. Yes, it's ridiculous the sticker price on the stock unit is $1600. Winnebago should be embarrased putting in such a shoddy and over-priced unit.

horseylady

When we bought our 2017 View a few months ago, I updated the Nav card but it took 5 go rounds to get it current. It’s like old software upgrades where if you missed a few upgrades, you had to go back and do them one by one. Then, I read somewhere that you should wait to reinsert the card until asked for it. I didn’t do that. Having some of then same problems others have been having. Use Google Maps on iPhone as backup. I’m going to do another upgrade to see if the card is still current and install it when told to and see if that helps. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

NYBobbo

I had some of the same issues when on house battery and changed out the solenoid under the passenger seat and now it works fine. I'm thinking also that it was a low voltage issue. I've noticed if I use shorter legs on a cross country trip it works much faster than setting the final destination.

davidahn

Hello all,

I just recently had my 2018 Winnebago Via's Rand McNally display/head unit replaced with a Pioneer with CarPlay, but they were unable to get the cameras working properly. Only the left side camera is working, they said the rear and right side won't work. Of course, they removed the switcher, the Connexx CVS300-01, so it won't switch between cameras, but apparently they were unable to find the backup camera's power leads; I imagine it only powers up when in reverse gear. I'd love to get all 3 cameras operational, but what I MUST have is the backup camera. Do I need to have them wire the CVS300-01 back in? I've seen suggestions for updated CVS325-01 on other forums, and the RiverPark site has a CVS350 also.

Any suggestions for a fix would be appreciated! Thanks.

David

Top Bottom