Inteli Power PD9200 Power Converter

john61ct

For those without major amp consumer appliances like the compressor refrigerator the normal advice is to go with two GC2, golf cart, batteries from Sam's, Costco or which ever brand you prefer.
No, The Duracell / Deka units from Sams are far better than the JCI / Interstate at Costco.

And just get more of them for higher loads, 800Ah 1200Ah, just gets big and heavy is all.

In general one 200Ah pair is fine for a fridge, but really best to make a complete budget Ah per day.

billbo

Ahh, the thread that keeps on giving.

Golf carts at Costco went up to near $100 each in the last few years, don't remember Sam's price but those are different brands, pick the one you like and there are arguments for either side. .
Like I said, show me the PROOF, otherwise it is just folklore. Interstate vs whatever vs what you like etc. There are actually very few plants in the USA, lead is restricted. If it is a Trojan I know where it came from. I did not and will not advocate one over the other for information is available for all to peruse and make their own decisions. Nothing at all wrong with Costco Interstate brand, I've used them, lasted 5 years but that rig did NOT have a compressor fridge. Why did I use them? The danged Costco store is 10 miles closer to my home than the Sam's store...nothing more or less. Now when I really needed great batteries I drove to the golf cart shop and picked up two shiny new Trojans. This argument over which battery brand is better than another has gone on far longer than I've been doing RV stuff for fun - 20 years. So far no one has WON any such argument nor has any agreement ever been reached as to which one is BEST or better as long as a reputable brand deep cycle is being considered.

Yes, we can get into all kinds of esoteric quantification, how much space below the plates for shed, how thick are the plates, what is the weight, are the plates structurally supported, what is the lead alloy - and on and on to infinity. Just pick what you like or take someone's recommendation and live with it. In the overall scheme of RV ownership a mere dent in the bucket of dollars we spend for fun. Now LFP is a bigger dent but still just a dent.

Last edited:

Alphacarina

2006 Itasca Navion 23H
I've installed probably 40 or 50 sets of four golf cart batteries on customers sailboats over the years, various brands but always Trojans unless the customer specifies otherwise. When they need a second set, those who picked something else usually go back with Trojans next time - It's the industry standard for flooded golf cart batteries in my book

I've also installed 4 or 5 sets of four Trojan L-16's on boats and was contemplating using those in my Navion, but I would have to do some cutting and welding to lower the battery platform a couple inches to fit them, so I chose to go with the standard T-105's this time and see how well we do with 225 Ah and whether we really need the 400 Ah the L-16's provide. Whatever I go with though, it'll be the Trojan brand - I'll pay a little more for the best because history tells me they'll last longer and be cheaper in the long run. If you shop around, they're not that much more expensive. I paid $125 each for my T-105's from a golf cart distributor when my wholesaler wanted $159.95 for them

Don

john61ct

Yes Trojans are an excellent brand, a vendor to be trusted.

If the regular T-105s are available locally for a premium of 20% or less over the Deka/Duracell cost that's likely worth doing.

But not much more.

Likewise if the Costco / Interstate were 30-40% cheaper than the Dekas, but personally I'd just skimp on my food budget for a week or two to get the better longevity, JCI just does not bother playing in the same QC league.

Crown, U.S. Battery Superior are always worth checking out, sometimes you catch a super deal.

But Rolls / Surrette are on a whole 'nother level, if they don't last well over a decade you're doing something wrong.

Alphacarina

2006 Itasca Navion 23H
But Rolls / Surrette are on a whole 'nother level, if they don't last well over a decade you're doing something wrong.
Oh, I agree with you there! - But for them to be considered a 'good deal' the way they have them priced, they'd need to last well over two decades . . . . and, they just might, if properly cared for

Don

billbo

Without a single doubt at the point of Rolls, even Crown...with the brain engaged just go buy Battle Born LFP and be done with it. Save weight, all the benefits. When you get to the cost level of Rolls/Surette and Crown why even think about it, get on board with LiFeP04 and enjoy the new world, no more electrolyte levels to check, fast recharge, use down to 10% SOC. Why would you even mention high dollar FLA batteries in the world of LFP. I'm certain they have a place, in an outdated PBX backup array or some forgotten railroad install but hardly in a new RV. In a new RV most of us would simply go LFP and be done with it for about 10 years and save the hassle and weight, boondock freely. Yeah, even the old days of PBX are essentially gone. Now you have IP phones throughout the company - no longer a human answers the phone even - all phone tree through a computer on an IP phone so where's that big array of Rolls/Surrette battery? No longer a player at all.

I just don't know why and can't imagine any discussion today about high dollar FLA batteries being had without the proverbial tongue in cheek or the bottom of a bottle of cheap whiskey staring back at the speaker. Any man with a good bottle of spirits is still sipping it and saying calmly - "now back in 2019 I remember installing my first set of Battle Born LFP". Actually I would even make that argument when considering Lifeline AGM vs Battle Born today. GO LFP!

Last edited:

john61ct

Within the context of the specific use cases common here, and given a higher budget and willingness to learn, research, buy the right gear to manage the bank properly, I won't argue.

But plenty of other use cases & owner profiles where the factors need to weighed up and decided case by case.

RussC

I installed Lifeline 31s in my '13 24J. Had to bend the OE battery base tray in the front and rear, and probably should have cut it with a Sawzall. It all bolts back up and the 210 amps (actually 110 amps) make life beautiful. Installing two Rich Solar 200w panels and a Victron 100/50 controller with the BMV 712 monitor. I've used solar on my last two RVs and can't recommend getting a good setup enough.

RussC

For batteries, Lithium is the best way to go. Nothing is better or comparable. Those of us on tighter budgets do AGMs. Maintenance fans stick with FLA and love them.

az7000'

2007 Navion on a 2006 3500 chassis
Maintenance fans stick with FLA and love them.
What maintenance? I'm 2 years into my Sams club 6v's. I have 130w solar and a Trik-L-Start going to the coach battery. I have checked the water levels x 2, what am I supposed to be maintaining? Real question.

DavidEM

As long as you maintain the electrolyte level and keep the terminals free of corrosion, no other maintenance required.

David

Alphacarina

2006 Itasca Navion 23H
For batteries, Lithium is the best way to go. Nothing is better or comparable.
For all we know, right now, they *are* great. When they've been around for 10 or 15 years and we can compare the true cost vs flooded golf cart batteries replaced every 5 to 7 years (some last even longer) we'll know how good a deal they actually are - Lithiums sometimes develop a bad cell and have to be replaced too

For any rig requiring several hundred amp hours, their small size and light weight make them the *only* way to go though. 800 usable amp hours of golf cart batteries would put many RV's over their weight limit . . . . and even if it didn't, it would severely limit how much other cargo you could carry - But your wallet would still be $8K lighter too and if a couple of those batteries need replacing after 10 or 12 years, maybe they're not the best deal, cost wise

Don

Top Bottom