Renogy Gel Battery

john61ct

You could also get an isotemp water heater and hook it up like Hein and I have. Free hot water.
So confused.

Do they make something for off grid use? What is the energy source?

I thought they only make units fed off AC power, so you'd need to run the genset to take showers.

EvanS

So confused.

Do they make something for off grid use? What is the energy source?

I thought they only make units fed off AC power, so you'd need to run the genset to take showers.
You use engine coolant. When you drive it heats up the water. Look for heins write up.

john61ct

So you just mean not a heater, just the tank / calorifier / heat exchanger part of it.

Not much use for those camping days and weeks off grid without driving.

EvanS

So you just mean not a heater, just the tank / calorifier / heat exchanger part of it.

Not much use for those camping days and weeks off grid without driving.
Do you have a lot of experience doing that? We live in the van so max time spent not driving is a weekend or so. Water stays hot for 24 hours in cold climates, longer in moderate.

Also, isotemp has 120 volt option to heat it too.

I can't tell you what the best option is for your case all I can do is advise what others have done.

If you have to have hot water there is isotemp, your Bosch water heater, Rixen system, solar heated PVC pipe on roof, propane or electrically powered tankless hot water heaters. Go research them and let us know what fits your needs. We can advise from there.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Using a diesel fired coolant heater to heat water is not unusual.

Running electric heaters off solar/battery can be done, but the quantity of water, and the frequency of use will be significantly limited.

I also have the 100 AH Renogy Gel Battery for my 2003 Sprinter under passenger seat install. First one went bad within 4 months and they replaced it. I would normally charge it with a smart battery charger but I was using the AGM 12v setting. Found out later I was supposed to use the normal 12v charge setting. It also charges by alternator when driving. I hope this new one I installed will last longer.

john61ct

Yes even top quality GEL needs precision charging to get good longevity, very sensitive chemistry.

For robust withstanding of normal abuse, can't beat those FLA GCs above

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Typical AGM profiles are too high a voltage for GEL batteries. Gels can also be damaged by high C rate charging, but thats probably not an issue unless you have a pretty big charger. Typical alternator voltages are below 14.2V, and won't be an issue.

john61ct

As long as you take them offline once Full.

There are Alt VRs that will drop to Float, GEL want 13.5V

but few spend the money.

Top Bottom