View/Navion 30 Amp on 120V House receptacle

carladonohue

I have a 30 Amp adapter that has a house 120 connector on the other end for my porch outlet. It is a foot long. I bought it at an RV dealer. I want to run one appliance such as the refrigerator or air conditioner or microwave, but only run one at a time. Is this a good idea for my 2016 Winnebago view with original equipment. Thanks.

WinnieView1

Re: View/Navion connecting 30 Amp to 120 House

In theory that should work just fine but it may not work if plugged into a GFI protected outlet.

MT170

2018 2500 LWB 4x4

You should be fine for that kind of service. A full size home refrigerator and microwave can be run off of one 20 amp circuit.

Shawn182

AC may be a problem. That is only a 15A connector on the other end of that adapter and may be underrated for the AC unit.

Typically you are safe for most of the 110v of the standard U Ground Connector but for AC you need a true 30A service.

If you have a 30A AC plugged into a house outlet on a 20A breaker using a 15A connector...that is how things melt down and go boom.

Last edited:

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed

I don't know what type adapter you have, but yes you can do that. I have a twist lock type 30a plug so I use this adapter (https://www.amazon.com/HQRP-Electri...r&qid=1555416521&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1) when I am at home to run an extention cord to the coach so I can run the Refrigerator (Dometic 8555), charge the batteries, and run fans or lights when parked in the drive way. Of course you can't run high watt/amp draw stuff like AC or microwave. I carry this adapter (https://www.amazon.com/Camco-PowerG...ix=15a+to+30a+ada,aps,180&sr=8-19-spons&psc=1) in case I need to plug into a 15a outlet with my normal 30a power cord on some emergency basis. I also carry a 50a to 30a adapter in case I need to hook to a 50a, sometimes the 30a service has problems or there is only a 50a service available.

Last edited:

A newer or updated home will have at least one grade level GFCI protected receptacle fed by a 20 amp circuit. Using that receptacle to run one appliance at a time as described in the OP is absolutely not a problem. You only need the full 30 amp service to run more than one appliance at a time. Using a GFCI protected receptacle is not a problem.

Per the NEC 15 amp receptacles are allowed to be fed by a 20 amp circuit. The blade size of a 15 amp plug and a 20 amp plug are identical. What determines 15 vs 20 amp is the configuration of the blade. A 20 amp receptacle and plug have one blade at 90 degrees opposed to the other. Wire size is critical to the safe loading of the circuit, not the blade configuration.

A 15 amp to 30 amp adapter will likely have 12 awg conductors from the 15 amp plug to the 30 amp female end, or at least 14 gauge. For the 1 foot length either is fine for 20 amp load. As long as the plug and residential receptacle are in serviceable condition nothing will melt.

Adding to the above, except for the inrush current the A/C unit will not pull 20 amps continuous anyway. The running current will likely be around 13 - 14 amps +/-. That is within the typical design parameter of 80% continuous circuit loading for a 20 amp circuit, and close for even a 15 amp. The A/C unit is the largest load contained in a typical RV conversion.

Running one appliance at time will not be a problem at all.

:cheers: vic

Added:
15/20 amp supply. The caveat being operating one appliance at a time. An owner may have a 120 volt water heater and/or a 120 volt refrigeration unit. Those can draw enough power to tip the balance with a 15/20 amp circuit. One sure way to make certain that those loads aren't in the mix is to open the associated breaker in the RV power panel.

Last edited:

marklg

In theory that should work just fine but it may not work if plugged into a GFI protected outlet.
A newer or updated home will have at least one grade level GFCI protected receptacle fed by a 20 amp circuit. Using that receptacle to run one appliance at a time as described in the OP is absolutely not a problem. You only need the full 30 amp service to run more than one appliance at a time. Using a GFCI protected receptacle is not a problem.

:cheers: vic
I'm going to agree with Vic. If your RV trips a GFCI (and mine did when I got it), it is wired incorrectly and unsafely. There is not supposed to be a connection between neutral and ground in the RV when shore power is used. There should be a connection between neutral and ground when the genset or inverter is used and those will provide such a connection. Inverters may have both side floating, I'm not sure. Any transfer switch should switch both hot and neutral to make the correct connections.

We have a 20A outlet on the side of our house, so we can power the RV with no problem. I have run the AC on a 15A GFCI protected outlet where we visited with no problem after I rewired the RV.

Regards,

Mark

I have a 30 Amp adapter that has a house 120 connector on the other end for my porch outlet. It is a foot long. I bought it at an RV dealer. I want to run one appliance such as the refrigerator or air conditioner or microwave, but only run one at a time. Is this a good idea for my 2016 Winnebago view with original equipment. Thanks.
Adhering to your rules it'll run just fine.

Top Bottom