Titan Solar Generator - Prototype #2

john61ct

I **despise** the use of the term "generator" to mean "battery + ports + electronics in a box". Makes me instantly skeptical, smells scammy. Maybe if solar panels are included, but then it's the **panels** that are "generating", not the storage / conversion unit. Words mean things, should not be co-opted by scamming marketeers looking to deceive.

It's a "portable powerpack". Some are large (watt-hours), some are small, their Amp rates vary, and they offer different features.

Have yet to come across one I think is good value compared to putting a custom system together from components selected for **that** use case's specific requirements.

Bare minimum should be an easily identified internal battery, so when it's worn out (often in a year or two) it can be replaced at a reasonable price, even if the maker has gone out of business.

Designing something costing hundreds to be quickly thrown away should be a crime; batteries are consumables, but their infrastructure should last for decades.

Usually just getting basic performance specs requires detective work. What chemistry? Don't quote Ah capacity at a 3.7V no one actually uses! What is the capacity in watt-hours (likely needs IRL testing) Max amps rate at what termination voltage? If the chemistry allows a full recharge in an hour, why does this product require a full overnight on shore power?

The target market is ignorant noobs with money to burn, who think they can plug and play without learning the basics.

I hope one day exceptions emerge, but not holding my breath.

Last edited:

john61ct

Above is about the market niche as a whole, not this specific company or unit, now that I actually watched the vid.

Looks very robust, except for the use of ciggie ports - a dangerous abortion of inherently poor design. Andersons are used, should be the default throughout, provide ciggie port pigtail adapters clearly marked with a 5A limit.

And of course unlikely to be a bargain even if otherwise perfect.

Links to technical details (e.g. what sort of LI? internal DC-DC specs) would be appreciated.

Certainly seems like a decent genuine tech-geek outfit, opposite of the usual slick marketing.

Still wish the abuse of "generator" would get called out by such respectable outfits to differentiate from the other 95% scamming liars in the segment.

A detailed CR-style head to head comparison against other good products would be a tremendous public service.

Last edited:

HarryN

I **despise** the use of the term "generator" to mean "battery + ports + electronics in a box". Makes me instantly skeptical, smells scammy. Maybe if solar panels are included, but then it's the **panels** that are "generating", not the storage / conversion unit. Words mean things, should not be co-opted by scamming marketeers looking to deceive.

It's a "portable powerpack". Some are large (watt-hours), some are small, their Amp rates vary, and they offer different features.

Have yet to come across one I think is good value compared to putting a custom system together from components selected for **that** use case's specific requirements.

Bare minimum should be an easily identified internal battery, so when it's worn out (often in a year or two) it can be replaced at a reasonable price, even if the maker has gone out of business.

Designing something costing hundreds to be quickly thrown away should be a crime; batteries are consumables, but their infrastructure should last for decades.

Usually just getting basic performance specs requires detective work. What chemistry? Don't quote Ah capacity at a 3.7V no one actually uses! What is the capacity in watt-hours (likely needs IRL testing) Max amps rate at what termination voltage? If the chemistry allows a full recharge in an hour, why does this product require a full overnight on shore power?

The target market is ignorant noobs with money to burn, who think they can plug and play without learning the basics.

I hope one day exceptions emerge, but not holding my breath.
Well John, then you should like the "drop in electrical systems" that we build for the conversion van market.

All components are end user replaceable, although it does assume that the person doing the work is familiar with electrical work. For a marine electrician or someone like you - piece of cake.

Detailed technical specs are on the web site.

End user can select from 2 different battery options and for some applications we offer a third, depending on the model.

Very rugged / vibration resistant design.

Price - well - high end components cost money. While it probably doesn't make sense for you, most people don't have your expertise / experience level.

I do agree completely that building a van electrical system with components from just one supplier will not result in an ideal build / performance situation.

At the risk of blasphemy, I am not actually all that impressed with Anderson connectors. We provide them as an option, but the typical ones don't win any awards for long term / wide temperature range operation.

________

On that particular unit, the thing that makes me a bit nervous is the push toward using aggressive versions of Li chemistry (vs LiFe) in consumer applications.

The proposed system used a pack that has 2x the energy density of a battle born and they are running it at 1C+ charge / discharge rates with passive air cooling. IMHO that is very aggressive for a product sold to the average person for use in a closed space.

Sure - I have built hobby projects that ran specialized Li batteries at 4C, but for general consumer use?

john61ct

So what, NMC? Links to details?

I personally am adamant that LFP is the only non-lead chemistry suitable for House bank use within a confined space, especially mobile use cases.

These hobbyists repurposing scrap EV packs are just disasters waiting to happen IMO. But then, driving down the highway's pretty risky too I guess.

Garandman

//. A detailed CR-style head to head comparison against other good products would be a tremendous public service.//
CR does not publish raw data for most of their ratings, and include criteria not listed in their rankings. Ask them.

While you are at it, try and subscribe without auto-renewal. You can’t. Lord knows what they would come up with for a product like this.

donraja

I just got the Titan Solar Generator. Trying to figure out my electrical setup. Any guidance would be helpful. What I am looking to do is keep the Titan accessible to plug items in when needed. Mostly for phones, tablets. Maybe a TV every now and then. In the rare case kitchen appliances. I am not looking to live in the van. No kitchen will be added. Want to use it for weekend trips or pseudo roughing it or "camping".

I also got a Progressive Dynamics PD4045KV Inteli-Power 4000 Series Converter with Charge Wizard - 45 Amp.

Attached is what I was thinking.

Attachments

I use a bluetti in my van conversion. It works brilliantly imo. I have it setup semi permanently with 2x bougerv 180w panels. I have a 12v fuse box with all the lights, fridge, fan, water pump heater etc into that. I also have an ac outlet that I just have plugged into the bluetti with a normal extension lead.

Honestly, I don't understand why more people don't go down this route, especially if they aren't living in it. The bluetti cost about what the equivalent Battleborn battery capacity cost in batteries alone.
It's simple, easily replaceable or upgraded and can be removed if you wanted to.

donraja

I use a bluetti in my van conversion. It works brilliantly imo. I have it setup semi permanently with 2x bougerv 180w panels. I have a 12v fuse box with all the lights, fridge, fan, water pump heater etc into that. I also have an ac outlet that I just have plugged into the bluetti with a normal extension lead.

Honestly, I don't understand why more people don't go down this route, especially if they aren't living in it. The bluetti cost about what the equivalent Battleborn battery capacity cost in batteries alone.
It's simple, easily replaceable or upgraded and can be removed if you wanted to.
Was this relatively easy to do? I have been looking up a lot of Youtube videos to figure out how to set it up.

Also, for your solar panels, are they removeable? I have 5 solar panels. Looking to connect all 5, but only have 2 or 3 exposed. Want to have the flexibility to move them stack them to save roof space, JIC. Also, if I am parked out, move them around so I can take advantage of the sun, if necessary.

Was this relatively easy to do? I have been looking up a lot of Youtube videos to figure out how to set it up.

Also, for your solar panels, are they removeable? I have 5 solar panels. Looking to connect all 5, but only have 2 or 3 exposed. Want to have the flexibility to move them stack them to save roof space, JIC. Also, if I am parked out, move them around so I can take advantage of the sun, if necessary.
I would say it's very easy to do as it's just plug and play.

I have two fixed in place. I've thought about (but decided it's unnecessary) having a second set that I can just plug in. In parallel with the fixed set and on a switch. I imagine it can be done, it just needs some planning. You can't really have them all in series as i understand it, it will only give you the power of the weakest link, so you won't get the benefits of better placement.

Top Bottom