2002 316 sprint shift

Hi all. Been reading lots of negative stuff on the sprint shift transmission. We are contemplating driving to Cairns from Pt Lincoln next year. Just wondering what problems I should be looking for in the transmission. Have had the old girl for 2 years and have not experienced any problem thus far. Some of the stuff i am reading has got me concerned. The sprinter has a motor home shell on her. Any tips out there.

Eric Experience

Jack.
I am not a Sprintshift expert but have read others reports on the sudden failure of the hydraulic pump as the main problem. Some one claimed the pumps burn out due to lack of lubrication of the bushes in the 12v motor. I have not done it but imagine the motor could be stripped down and lubricated. Eric.

316cdi

I've owned mine for 8 years, replaced the pump 5 years ago but other than that no other issues.
The pump is an easy job to replace.

Thanks for that I will get the pump looked at. We dont use it as an auto but change gears manually as it seems to be better on the motor less revs and more control etc. Feeling more confident :thumbup:

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
Thats the thing... It all works well, until it doesn't. If it was my van I'd be carrying my own star diag system with me on big trips. It can pay for itself after just one breakdown.

316cdi

When mine went, it wouldn't shift into gear and has the letter F on the dash display.
I got by with it for 2 weeks by lightly hitting the pump area with a hammer and it would get the pump going, once running it ran fine until I turned it off.

Last edited:

Top Bottom