Engine miss on light acceleration

Hey guys. I just pulled my egr to clean and the propeller got stuck after using brake clean.

This is the wahler replacement egr. I dremeled flat head notches in the security torx screws and took the egr computer off the vale. I flipped it over and zip tied it nearby on the engine and then left the valve in the closed position.

The computer thinks the valve is working cause the connections still made. The van runs with low power. I may try rotating the valve so it just stays open.

I have to make a long drive and need to get this thing moving. This is already a replacement egr and its having trouble rotating even by hand. It just sticks really hard. I ripped a fingernail trying to rotate it after cleaning.

smurph

So glad we have forums for these kinds of things. I've been on motorcycle forums since they started and they've saved me thousands of dollars, i've gained practical knowledge and met a ton of awesome friends. Now that I am a new owner of a 2013 Sprinter, I'm noticing this exact hesitation as I accelerate - usually happens between 30 and 50 kmh. I'm hoping it's the EGR valve and nothing else. 129,000 kms on this one. Of course all you can think when it happens is 'oh crap, what did I just buy?!'.

Update:

Removed the EGR, cleaned with carb cleaner and dried it off, reinstalled and went for a drive. Hesitation is gone. I'm a happy camper. ;)

Last edited:

jesta192

I'm driving one of these vans for work (2018). It's had this "stumble" almost since we took possession of it... Sometimes it will jolt hard, and take up to 4-5 seconds to regain power. If it truly is the EGR then it was defective from the factory. Any updates from anyone involved in this thread?

I'm not sure if it's related, but I've also noticed (for quite a while) during highway driving, the remove will pull normally for 2 seconds, then back off for 1 second; rinse and repeat continuously. It's similar to me somewhat letting off the accelerator every 2 seconds for 1 while second, then pressing it again ad nauseum; only, this happens even using cruise control. Any of you experience this behavior as well?

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
I'm driving one of these vans for work (2018). It's had this "stumble" almost since we took possession of it... Sometimes it will jolt hard, and take up to 4-5 seconds to regain power. If it truly is the EGR then it was defective from the factory. Any updates from anyone involved in this thread?

I'm not sure if it's related, but I've also noticed (for quite a while) during highway driving, the remove will pull normally for 2 seconds, then back off for 1 second; rinse and repeat continuously. It's similar to me somewhat letting off the accelerator every 2 seconds for 1 while second, then pressing it again ad nauseum; only, this happens even using cruise control. Any of you experience this behavior as well?
How many miles on this critter? Because if it is less than 100,000, it sounds like a dealership trip to me.

jesta192

How many miles on this critter? Because if it is less than 100,000, it sounds like a dealership trip to me.
Yes, of course (45,000). But I brought this up at the 20,000 service and they shrugged it off ("maybe it was just downshifting")... I'll have to reiterate...

Today and yesterday I realized that at the right amount of throttle, going up a hill, the van will jolt/stumble/hiccup and lose power about every 3rd second. It's very periodic under the right circumstances.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
Yes, of course (45,000). But I brought this up at the 20,000 service and they shrugged it off ("maybe it was just downshifting")... I'll have to reiterate...

Today and yesterday I realized that at the right amount of throttle, going up a hill, the van will jolt/stumble/hiccup and lose power about every 3rd second. It's very periodic under the right circumstances.
Your symptoms certainly sound like a bad EGR. But since it is under warranty, it is still a dealership job.
You can tell them what you think it is. No guarantee they will listen.

jesta192

Your symptoms certainly sound like a bad EGR. But since it is under warranty, it is still a dealership job.
You can tell them what you think it is. No guarantee they will listen.
Exactly. Today they said "There was a stored code in the system for the EGR valve but it was working perfectly fine. We actually tested it right now so I don't know if it's an intermittent thing or if it only does it sometimes..."

Sinatorj

Dealing with same issue, 2017 170 4x4 ext. Long trip across SW up and down at altitude, hot heavily loaded. Gonna service this weekend and check results...

deeptissue

Well, I am replying to this 12 years later- the egr problems still exist in the sprinters. I have a 2013 that has been sputtering, shuttering, or slipping going around 40, on a hot day, uphill, intermittently- it would do it a few times going up a hill, but not every hill, and not often. Didn’t ever happen around town, didn’t throw a code. It felt like the transmission was slipping and I almost had that replaced. Took it to three mechanics, no one could duplicate the issue. Just took it to the dealership and by good luck they felt it too. Replaced the egr valve and now it’s perfect. You are not alone.

deeptissue

Dealing with same issue, 2017 170 4x4 ext. Long trip across SW up and down at altitude, hot heavily loaded. Gonna service this weekend and check results...
Hey, mine mostly did it on long trips at higher altitude too( but not always). Around town it didn’t do the intermittent shuttering, slipping thing. Got it fixed yesterday at the dealership- it has been three years that I have been dealing with it, and no mechanic knew what it was, because they couldn’t replicate it and it didn’t throw a code. I’ve got a 2013.

Sinatorj

Hey, mine mostly did it on long trips at higher altitude too( but not always). Around town it didn’t do the intermittent shuttering, slipping thing. Got it fixed yesterday at the dealership- it has been three years that I have been dealing with it, and no mechanic knew what it was, because they couldn’t replicate it and it didn’t throw a code. I’ve got a 2013.
I pulled EGR yesterday, cleaned real well. Runs like a raped ape now. Also trying stendech diesel treatment. Was reccomend.

Rich_in_FTC

I've been having the same hesitation under light acceleration from 1600 -1800 rpm over the past few years. Cleaning the EGR has been the solution in the past until now as the hesitation is back with a vengeance with the newly clean EGR. No codes, 2016 NVC3 2500 with 115,000 miles. Is it time for a new EGR or is there something else needing to be cleaned in this system? Thanks.

sprinteris.com

MB Certified Sprinter Tech
The best cleaners for EGR valves are TUNAP and Terraclean. However, it's important to note that the symptoms may return relatively soon, typically after approximately 20,000 miles, depending on driving conditions. EGR valve located downstream (on the outlet) of the EGR Cooler and exhaust gases pass through the cooler first before reaching the valve, leading to the accumulation of deposits on the cooler as well.

Unfortunately, there is no permanent solution for this issue.

Attachments

Top Bottom