Transmission Oil Filter Seating

Theory&Practice

I've been struggling through a transmission servicing, and dropped the transmission oil pan again (3rd time) thinking the reason I was limping home was a failure to reattach the valve detent leaf spring. That wasn't the case, I screwed something up but that wasn't it.

After checking that part I went to put the pan back on and bumped my transmission oil filter, which became displaced. The tube part held in the opening of the valve body, but the opposite end tilted down, apparently not held by the tab that fits in the slot. I kept trying to seat the filter securely, I would get a satisfying snap from the tube to the valve body, but the tab didn't seem to catch in the slot. There wouldn't be any side to side movement, but any contact with the filter would cause the back side to sag as the tab wasn't catching. I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar issue?

I ordered the following kit (https://germanparts.ca/parts/50803M). I'm a little confused by the two rubber gaskets that come with it, because the filter already has one and no write-ups or videos have mentioned the need for additional ones.

Cheers,

Chris

alexk243

KulAdventure
I've done the fluid/filter twice on mine and it just kinda sets in there, I am not sure that front tab attached on mine. Is it falling off the trans before you can put the drain pan on there?

markxengineering

It has been a while since I did that job, but I vaguely remember the filter just pressing in, held by o ring interference on the tube. I think it was a snug enough fit without the tab, which from the photos I'm looking at now, just looks to be for clocking purposes. Someone who has been in there more recently should confirm though. Did you try reading any codes?

lindenengineering

Just a few comments.
The filter should just lock in.
The "O" ring acts as a lock as it engages with the suction port in the valve block.
The location tabs on the top side engaging with the ribs on the valve block to prevent rotation and ensure the filter bottoms on the port against the body.
If this is not correctly installed it WILL fall out!

Something for the knowledge !
The transmission will work with NO filter. In fact, with a full charge of fluid as long as the van is driven without causing fluid surge, it will shift just fine.
How do I know that?
Because I have done an experiment years ago to verify that, and it debunks desk top theories by some about fluid levels.

The object is to get the suction filter in place so that air isn't drawn in as it does its job of drawing in and cleaning FREE FLOWING fluid.

Dennis

Once the pan is place the filter should be fine? I've always ass-u-me'd that the pan bottom is close enough to keep the filter housing from falling down.

Somewhat off topic.
I wonder if the high capacity finned pans have any casting provision for contacting the filter housing? If they do, that would verify that the OEM pan bottom does contact the filter to keep it in place.

:cheers: vic

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
If memory serves, the pan actually holds the filter in place, as the filter has three contact points with the pan bottom.

Top Bottom