Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Talk

NCV3 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 Sprinters.

Old 07-17-2019, 02:18 PM   #1
The Heaven Van

Default Z90 - Underbody Conservation Deleted

Pulled my data sheet and found the following "add" on:

Z90 - Underbody Conservation Deleted

Can someone please explain or verify what this is. My assumption is that they did not coat or protect the under body (which is baffling)

I am about to begin rust repair and if I need to spray my under body with something now is the time. I live i the north east us and salt can be bad in the winter.

I guess my follow up question would be what to use: bed liner, sealer, wax, etc..

My fear is trapping any contaminants under whatever I use. I assume a good washing will help - but is there anything else I should use to clean the underside before applying something?

Thank you in advance.
The Heaven Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:13 PM   #2
ptheland
2013 144" low top Passgr

Default Re: Z90 - Underbody Conservation Deleted

I see from another post that you have a 2007 model year. I'd hazard a guess that if the underbody hasn't rusted through by now, it's not going to. So I wouldn't bother with any additional coatings.

2013 144" wheelbase, low roof passenger, with wheelchair lift in side door (soon operational, but not yet cosmetic)
ptheland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ptheland For This Useful Post:
The Heaven Van (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 04:24 PM   #3
The Heaven Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptheland View Post
I see from another post that you have a 2007 model year. I'd hazard a guess that if the underbody hasn't rusted through by now, it's not going to. So I wouldn't bother with any additional coatings.
Ill have to crawl under there and give it a look look over.

When I did the interior i was surprised to see little to no rust on the interior floor - so I can at least confirm that o rust has penetrated.

Ive heard of a few northeast guys spraying diesel on the underbody... any merit to this? again I would think you'd wanna clean the underbody completely before spraying anything that could get trapped... maybe you're right.. might do more harm than good at this point.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:03 PM   #4
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,686 Times in 5,621 Posts

Since my T1N also has that option code ... BUT has a generous application of rubbery "goop" at many places underneath,
AND due to the "Z" of the code ... i've always assumed they meant "did not receive a full Ziebart-process undercoat".
https://www.ziebart.com/auto-care-se...n/undercoating

Full Ziebarting includes drilling holes (or using ones already there) into the frame and body and pressure-spraying the coating inside the hollow areas so you're protected both "inside and out".

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
The Heaven Van (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 07:18 PM   #5
The Heaven Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by autostaretx View Post
Since my T1N also has that option code ... BUT has a generous application of rubbery "goop" at many places underneath,
AND due to the "Z" of the code ... i've always assumed they meant "did not receive a full Ziebart-process undercoat".
https://www.ziebart.com/auto-care-se...n/undercoating

Full Ziebarting includes drilling holes (or using ones already there) into the frame and body and pressure-spraying the coating inside the hollow areas so you're protected both "inside and out".

--dick
So its still possible i have an undercoating..

What would be the best way to determine?

I assume if I stick my head up under there I will notice if it is sprayed or not.. but who knows.. anything I should be looking for such as color or texture?

Ill follow back up once I stick my head under there.