I have 2 remote locking keys and 1 old school key,....what's it for?

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
I got two remote control style keys that can lock and unlock my 2004 Sprinter. I also got 1 standard old school cut key. It opens the vehicle, and I can insert it into the ignition and actually start it,....HOWEVER it dies as soon as I release the key from the "Start" position. I'm guessing that the standard key has some feature that causes it to activate an immobilizer.

Can anyone tell me if this is correct, and if so,....what is the standard / non remote key intended for.

Brian in San Antonio

LS1K5

Lots of people use the standard key to take hiking swimming etc and leave the good key in the van.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

sailquik

bcolins
Yes, your 2 original keys have a battery powered
chip in them that had to link up with the “skreem”
System in your Sprinter to disengage the anti- theft.
Your non-chipped key will open the doors but won’t disengage the skreem.
Notice the little noise the skreem makes as you
insert the chipped key in the key fob.
Roger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

...HOWEVER it dies as soon as I release the key from the "Start" position. I'm guessing that the standard key has some feature that causes it to activate an immobilizer.

Can anyone tell me if this is correct,
It is both correct and incorrect.

You have FOBs so you have remote locking. The RFID chip security has two different designs, one for with remote locks and without. With remote locks a non chipped key will start the engine, but then the engine dies when there is no chip recognition verification. So that operation is correct. (A non chipped key will not crank at all in a Sprinter that doesn't have remote locks.)

It is incorrect that the standard key has a feature to activate an immobilizer, it lacks a chip to enable staring. I suppose that it is more correct to say that the immobilzer is always in force and the proper key chip disables the immobilzer to enable starting. (I know. Semantics.)

and if so,....what is the standard / non remote key intended for.

Brian in San Antonio
The standard key will just open doors. As was mentioned, it is very rugged. Some people hide a door only key on the outside of the van for access, and also hide another properly chipped key within the van in case you lose your normal key. I do that.

:cheers: vic

Last edited:

bcolins
Yes, your 2 original keys have a battery powered
chip in them that had to link up with the “skreem”

System in your Sprinter to disengage the anti- theft.
Your non-chipped key will open the doors but won’t disengage the skreem.
Notice the little noise the skreem makes as you
insert the chipped key in the key fob.
Roger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Roger,
On the T1N the FOB batteries are strictly for the remote locking. The SKREEM chip is powered by the electrical field created by the antenna ring. The FOB will start a T1N Sprinter with or without good batteries.

My 2006 with remotes locks makes no click noise. I believe that relates to the NCV3 security system, not the T1N's.

vic

Top Bottom