Sprinter-Forum    
 

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Sprinter Talk

Sprinter Talk General discussion about anything and everything about Sprinters.
SubForums: Events Scanners


 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2018, 06:07 AM   #21
crhambrick
Sprinter Sophomore
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 85
Thanks: 8
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Default Re: 2017 170 EXT 3500 Fuel Economy Concern

Does anyone hear have any valid data on the effects of the 4 x 4 on the mileage? It certainly sounds like that is a high percentage of the cause--at least in the top three with the six cylinder and the speed being the other two.

I have been super excited and even slightly surprised that in my first 4000 miles with my 2016 4-cyl 170 high passenger, I'm averaging just over 24 MPG. That's of course in flat Houston but that is half highway and half stop and go traffic.

As much as I would have loved the 4x4, I am loving my mileage... and fortunately don't need the 4x4.
crhambrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:26 AM   #22
vanscum
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: 2017 170 EXT 3500 Fuel Economy Concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Vita View Post
How do you come up with an 18.4mpg average? Most of what's posted here is below that, where are the higher mpg reports to come up with that average?
That was in response to the comment by RVCuisineScene.
vanscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:14 AM   #23
Peanut Butter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 244
Thanks: 37
Thanked 82 Times in 44 Posts
Default Re: 2017 170 EXT 3500 Fuel Economy Concern

A friend and I both bought identical 2016 4 cylinder, cargo 170 ext. Sprinters. Mine weighs 7,900lbs. My friend's Sprinter weighs 6,600lbs. My Sprinter has a RV a/c unit on the roof. My friend's doesn't. My friend get 23 to 26 mpgs. I get 15 to 17mpg.
Peanut Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 01:45 PM   #24
RVCuisineScene
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Colorado, Maine & Alaska
Posts: 196
Thanks: 62
Thanked 72 Times in 59 Posts
Default Re: 2017 170 EXT 3500 Fuel Economy Concern

Quote:
How do you come up with an 18.4mpg average? Most of what's posted here is below that, where are the higher mpg reports to come up with that average?
The miles, MPG and average speed display on my van resets itself each day. At the end of the day the MPG typically displays 18.4 when I've driven on these road trips. The 2500 mile trip form PA to CO was interstate mostly flat, the 1000 mile trip to Sedona AZ was all two lane 55-70 mph highways, all hills.

I really haven't used the van for running errands or local driving so I can't comment on the MPG if that were to be factored into the equation. And if the weather forecast called for headwinds 15+ mph I'd go biking instead of driving the van into strong headwinds.

I work at Wolf Creek ski area and have taken the van up the pass a half dozen times it's a 50 mile round trip with a 3000+ ft elevation gain, on the way up the MPG drops to under 10 on the way down it goes up to 30 leaving me with an average of around 18.
RVCuisineScene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:40 PM   #25
Moto Vita
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: WA/AZ USA
Posts: 259
Thanks: 25
Thanked 81 Times in 55 Posts
Default Re: 2017 170 EXT 3500 Fuel Economy Concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCuisineScene View Post
The miles, MPG and average speed display on my van resets itself each day. At the end of the day the MPG typically displays 18.4 when I've driven on these road trips. The 2500 mile trip form PA to CO was interstate mostly flat, the 1000 mile trip to Sedona AZ was all two lane 55-70 mph highways, all hills.

I really haven't used the van for running errands or local driving so I can't comment on the MPG if that were to be factored into the equation. And if the weather forecast called for headwinds 15+ mph I'd go biking instead of driving the van into strong headwinds.

I work at Wolf Creek ski area and have taken the van up the pass a half dozen times it's a 50 mile round trip with a 3000+ ft elevation gain, on the way up the MPG drops to under 10 on the way down it goes up to 30 leaving me with an average of around 18.
I understand how you came up with your average. My question was for another poster who seized on your average and apparently considers it as an average across a number of similar Sprinters even though there are several lower mpg results posted here and no higher mpg results.
Is your van a high roof and does it have anything mounted on the roof?

Last edited by Moto Vita; 03-25-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Moto Vita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:03 PM   #26
rmplstlskn
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 25
Thanks: 12
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: 2017 170 EXT 3500 Fuel Economy Concern

FWIW: 2017 3500 170 4X4 @ 14.5mpg on the computer. Given the larger tires it might be closer to 15mpg.
Better than our Jeep with 35s and I can stand up or nap... but not at the same time.
rmplstlskn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:38 AM   #27
sailquik
 
sailquik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cape Hatteras, North Carolina
Posts: 8,738
Thanks: 2,988
Thanked 5,466 Times in 3,321 Posts
Default Re: 2017 170 EXT 3500 Fuel Economy Concern

RVCuisineScene;
So, you are in the process of converting your 4x4 Sprinter into an RV?
Any idea what it weighs?
You have the OM-642 3.0 liter V6 and the 5G-Tronic/NAG-1 5 speed "semi-automatic" transmission......right?
If you have this combination, how often do you manually downshift when going up the mountain to Wolf Creek?
Any idea what your % engine Load is on the way up the mountain?
What RPM are your running as you climb the mountain?
Roger
__________________
2014 Sprinter 516 series (3500 DRW) 170"/4325 mm wb Hi Top Short Back
OM-651 I4 2.143 liter two stage turbo charged with 36.9 PSIA MAP Limit Valve
7 Speed 7G-Tronic, manually shiftable, automatic transmission.
Suspension Seats, Active Safety Package +, Parktronic, OEM Hitch/wiring
OEM back up camera, Bi Xenon light package, fog lamps, headlight washers.
Had 2006 T1N 3500/158|2010 NCV3 519/3500/144|2011 & 2012 NCV3 519/3500 170

Last edited by sailquik; 03-29-2018 at 12:41 AM.
sailquik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:21 PM   #28
RVCuisineScene
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Colorado, Maine & Alaska
Posts: 196
Thanks: 62
Thanked 72 Times in 59 Posts
Default Re: 2017 170 EXT 3500 Fuel Economy Concern

Quote:
RVCuisineScene;
So, you are in the process of converting your 4x4 Sprinter into an RV?
Any idea what it weighs?
You have the OM-642 3.0 liter V6 and the 5G-Tronic/NAG-1 5 speed "semi-automatic" transmission......right?
If you have this combination, how often do you manually downshift when going up the mountain to Wolf Creek?
Any idea what your % engine Load is on the way up the mountain?
What RPM are your running as you climb the mountain?
Yes, we sold our sailing catamaran last spring after 11 years of living aboard and are in the process of creating a "land yacht" (http://www.Kitchenhui.com)
I've got no idea what the van weighs, got the 5 speed automatic, only downshift when going down, going up I can maintain the 45 mph speed limit with the gas pedal depressed about 1/2 way so I've not manually downshifted, the van doesn't seem to shift between gears like my wife's Mazda does when going up the pass. The rpm's seem to be in the 2-3K range? I tend to drive pretty conservatively with my only traffic offense over the last 53 years being the ticket I got in Florida two years ago for not coming to a complete stop on my bicycle at an intersection, $275 ticket!
RVCuisineScene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:20 PM   #29
gltrimble
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 860
Thanks: 262
Thanked 731 Times in 403 Posts
Default 2017 170 EXT 3500 Fuel Economy Concern

Since new my 2016 170 4x4 is averaging 16 mpg. Solar panels and awning on the roof and larger tires have small impact on mileage along with the 8500 lb loaded weight. The only significant impact on fuel mileage the 4x4 has in my opinion is the added height, 4 in front, and not the drivetrain. My research prior to purchasing the van found V-6 owners on Fuelly.com reporting an average of 16-17 mpg for mostly 2WD and a few 4WD vans.

One of the most informative pieces I found during my research was a YouTube video of two similarly equipped Winnebago motor homes traversing the Colorado Rockies. One was equipped with the V-6 and the other was the 4 cylinder. The V-6 averaged 16 mpg and the 4 cylinder 18 mpg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by gltrimble; 03-29-2018 at 05:24 PM.
gltrimble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3500, canada, fuel economy, ncv3, troubleshooting

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.