Toy Hauler Build

GrayGhost

The plan is to build a full time capable Van with space for one motorcycle and all that goes along with road racing . Since it will be multi purpose , there will be elements that have to be dual purpose. It also means , there will be lots of "wasted" space when the bike is not in there . Any ideas are always appreciated.

Here is the initial questions thread: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45939

The Van :

2006 T1n with 156k miles
Former Medical Supply Delivery Van
158" Wheelbase

The Build : (this will constantly change I'm sure)

Coleman Mach 8 Cub A/C
Maxxair Fan
Motion Slider Screen window
Prosine 2.0 Xantrex inverter Charger
AGM Lifeline 255ah
TruckFridge tf49
Thinsulate Insulation
Rollover Couch Bed

Here a couple shots of the Van and its first outing ( not all that fun with no buildout and nowhere to organize things).

Attachments

Last edited:

GrayGhost

First up was getting rid of the tar felt under the floor because the smell was killing me . Replaced with 1/8 inch closed cell foam underlayment then Re riveted the stock floor back down. May cover later with something waterproof.

A/C was the next item on the list . Went with a coleman mach 8 Cub . The install is dragging on because when I got on the roof I noticed two things ( lots of rust from trying to drive under things too short and the roof is flimsy as hell). Rehabbed all the rust with a flap disc on 4 inch angle grinder , etching primer, paint , and then clear. Next step was measure twice and cut once for the opening ( see: measure 50 times) . After that was cut , I welded up a brace system similar to what Hein has posted on his build. Heat index was 106 today and I spent most of it on the roof of this van . Unpleasant.

Attachments

Last edited:

GrayGhost

Mock up of the galley and closet . Galley will hold the fridge , sink , and 20 gallon fresh water tank . The closet will double as clothes and some race gear storage while hiding the passenger side wheel well.

Attachments

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I feel your pain! I am at 107F on the index currently. It was 118 yesterday... I really need to lay on my floor with a frosty beverage right now.

If you haven't considered it yet, a vent (window floor etc) and a powered exhaust fan are pretty much a requirement in your oven, I mean sprinter.

GrayGhost

Midwest, thanks for chiming in , you've been a ton of help already ( I love this site) . I have a MAXXAIR 4500k and the plan is to pair that with a Motion Windows slider .

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
As you probably already know, the T1Ns have an issue with the roof seams. For whatever reason Mercedes didn't seal them properly. As a preventative measure putting eternabond tape over them seams may not a be a bad idea. 2 of mine were leaking when I bought the van because there was literally zero seam sealer applied on the outside, just some base filler? Strange business.

GrayGhost

Noticed that last weekend actually, have a tube of dicor for em. Agreed that everyone with a t1n should reseal theirs asap a mine also had very little sealer and was leaking in three places.

GrayGhost

Unfortunately, today's update is just boxes and boxes of parts. I'm taking the S.O. to the beach this weekend so I can sweat my arse off for no reason. Solar, mppt controller, blue sea switches, Circuit breakers, wiring, fridge, thinsulate (thanks hein) , etc.

GrayGhost

Alright, finally a little progress last night. In case someone is searching the board for quantities, a 158" cargo takes about 45 feet of Thinsulate and approx 6 cans of 3M 90 spray to insulate. The van is Much quieter now and the 9200btu cub is now overkill. I will be swapping the current distribution box for the one with wall thermostat later this week since you now cannot even leave it on low without freezing to death.

Attachments

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Looking good. :thumbup: Just make sure to well secure the tanks (and any other possible projectiles) to the van. In general cabinets themselves are not strong enough to contain 25 gallons of water in a crash.

Last edited:

GrayGhost

Looking good. :thumbup: Just make sure to well secure the tanks (and any other possible projectiles) to the van. In general cabinets themselves are not strong enough to contain 25 gallons of water in a crash.

Will do , the tank will be held with two straps through the floor and the cabinet mounted separately with L Track studs on the front and rear, and a single rivnut on the back wall.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I doubt your van will see much abuse or twisting, but you might consider some gussets or metal angle brackets for your cabinets. They add lots of strength, and they prevent "racking" during a crash. I used 2 of these brackets in the corners of my galley, and then put a bolt/rivnut to secure the bracket to the van wall.

Top Bottom