Exhaust gas Temp. gage install

dpw

This is how I installed a pre turbo EGT probe.

The 2 questions that usually come up are pre or post turbo, the other is whether to remove the turbo or not. I decided that the improved accuracy of a pre turbo installed pyrometer (the little doodad that sits in the exhaust stream and creates a small current based on temp.) was worth the hassle. The main reason for removing the manifold and turbo is to be sure not get any metal shavings in the turbo. I had decided to remove the turbo entirely, however could not get the 2 torx bolts off the oil return line (this was due to lack of the right length extension). This hard metal return line runs into the block through a rubber gasket allowing some flex. So on to plan b - a piece of cardboard in between the turbo and manifold like pic 1. Of course to get the turbo floating around you will need to remove the exhaust clamp, and exhaust support clamp directly down stream from the turbo, the top oil line (carefully), and loosen the lower bracket at the turbo, I had removed the air intake and outlet as I was planning on complete removal but this was not necessary (the blue rubber gloves are keeping things clean) This worked very well and I could hear and see metal dropping down onto the cardboard - proving that the grease method isn't all its cracked up to be (I have read several others saying the same). Next, carefully tap the hole, my autometer pyrometer required an 1/8 NPT tap and lucky for me my father in law is a machinist and had one. His advice was to tap till less than half way in, remove the tap and check the fit. I was tapping a couple of turns, removing the tap, checking the fitting, and repeating until the pyrometer threaded in all the way through the manifold but not into the interior cavity. Next, wire it all up! It took me about 2 hours to do (and a couple of beers to steady my nerves afterwards - seeing that hole in the manifold was weird!)

Attachments

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
I drilled and tapped my exhaust mani tonight as dpw did, pretty nice labor saving way to do it for sure :thumbup:

Thanks Mr Dpw, whoever you are

One thing I would do a little different, were I to do it again, would be to move the hole up a bit so that you would be able to remove the turbo without removing the EGT probe fitting from the exhaust mani, well thats how mine ended up, and it looks like yours did too.

Where the red dot is in this picture is where I think the turbo mounting bolt would clear the EGT probe, but hole would need to be angled down a bit, ie the drill would need to be right up against the head to get the right angle so the probe would not hit the other side of the manifold.

One of the turbo mounting bolts on my turbo was also quite rusted (the rest of the engine is actually really non-rusted fwiw) and the 12 point 13mm box wrench slipped when there was almost no pressure on it, I cleaned the rust off with a dremmel and my 12mm box wrench fit just right. I think a 6 point 13mm would have gotten it, so for anyone planning on doing this it would be best to have a 6 point 13mm around. I of course will be getting new bolts to put it all back together so depending on how rusted yours are you might want to have some replacements handy when you do this.

...I of course will be getting new bolts to put it all back together so depending on how rusted yours are you might want to have some replacements handy when you do this.
Jack,
Thanks for the additional info and pictures. You might consider purchasing stainless steel fasteners. I've used them on manifolds and exhaust systems with good success. I still use anti-seize FWIW. AP/vic

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
Jack,
Thanks for the additional info and pictures. You might consider purchasing stainless steel fasteners. I've used them on manifolds and exhaust systems with good success. I still use anti-seize FWIW. AP/vic
No problem :thumbup:

Re; the stainless fasteners, any specific grade? I've always been a little hesitant to replace turbo/manifold mounting bolts with anything other than OEM bolts as I'm not sure if they are special to deal with the high temps.

High temp anti-seize for sure.

No problem :thumbup:

Re; the stainless fasteners, any specific grade? I've always been a little hesitant to replace turbo/manifold mounting bolts with anything other than OEM bolts as I'm not sure if they are special to deal with the high temps.

High temp anti-seize for sure.
I have just used whatever I found at the local hardware. The turbo mounting issue may worth going to a marine store to get them. That should get you a good enough grade of fastener. At least they're always more expensive there anyway. If that still leaves doubt in your mind as to application I'd at least use stainless nuts if that applies. That should help a bunch for future dis-assembly. Hope this does some good. AP/vic

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
For the electrical connection I used some fuse piggyback things, but I had to modify them slightly to work with the sprinter fuse panel.

This is how they come out of the package, the U shaped part goes around one leg of the blade fuse and you plug the fuse back in,

But with the full U it is too thick and won't plug in so I "cut" (bent it back and forth repeatedly) one leg of the U off and it then worked as intended.

I grabbed power to run the gauge from the fuse panel under the steering wheel, fuse #20 to be exact(the reverse lamps fuse) and power from headlight fuse #11 to power the backlight for the gauge.

I soldered wire right to the fuse piggyback thing, but you can also put a female spade connector on it...

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
For the electrical connection I used some fuse piggyback things, but I had to modify them slightly to work with the sprinter fuse panel.
Let me repeat a CAUTION that I made in postings long ago. The Sprinter fuse panel's fuse socket contacts will be deformed by these 'piggy back' connectors.

If these piggy connectors are later removed, the fuse socket contacts will remain spread and will not maintain firm contact with the fuse. This can lead to unintended consequences.

You will then discover that the fuse panel terminals cannot be bent back into their original configuration unless the entire fuse panel is removed and disassembled so to allow access to these contacts. Doktor A

TROLL

2007 Winnebago View 23H
I just used the info in this thread to install my EGT probe, thanks to those who shared.

Engine is out... cause it blew up (hole in piston 3, couple theories but no concrete cause). Figured that's a good time to install an EGT gauge since 1) it blew up, and 2) the engine is apart so its easy to drill, tap, and clean up.

Using the info above I decided on placement based on where I was able to squeeze the bolt for the turbo past the EGT bung so its a little higher than the above install, but it should still clear everything. I am able to get the turbo bolt past it now so looks like a success.

This position is right where runner 1 merges with all of the other runners (2 through 5), so it would be biased toward runner 1, but having a single shared EGT isn't going to be an exact science ever. Maybe backing it up slightly toward runner 2 might lessen the bias from runner 1 a bit, but its all a guessing game. This will at least give me an idea of overall exhaust gas temps and thats all I'm asking for.

I took a photo inside as well to show placement, I can position the EGT sensor at any depth though. I figure somewhere roughly in the middle is ideal but I haven't tightened it down yet.
I just used an inexpensive EGT kit from Amazon that still had good reviews. Shipping takes a bit longer but it was cheap so I went for it.

Attachments

Top Bottom