Post but no edits

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Haven't been paying attention to this thread. But now I did.

I edit my posts sometimes, but it's always quite soon afterwards, when I discover something wrong about it or when I think of something to add.

As has been mentioned, the extremely valuable posts, such as those by HK, or Seek, or Don, or Andy, or others, may have content that can be clarified with future editing. Seek can give permananent or temporary editing privileges to perform those tasks.

What we really need is a warning sign. Warning! This is not a forum to be toyed with. The moderator and forum members are interested in Sprinter vans, not in anyone whose actions try the patience of the moderator and members.

Sikwan,
I noticed today that my LHM thread in T1N Write-ups caused some confusion for TimJuhl. I guess I just automatically post most of my stuff in T1N sections because that's what I own. I don't intend to post confusing information, but I know I have sometimes not been clear enough and a few times just plain wrong.

In this specific instance I would like to add Doktor A's and Carl's info as to the 2007 model year where the Crankshaft Position Sensor recall is mentioned in the LHM post. Perhaps adding a note in the first text telling people that the thread is not T1N specific would help too. There have been other times that adding such info in other places would be helpful.

If I send you what I'd like to add/change in my older Write-up and Database posts is it a real bother for you to edit them for me? It should not be a daily event.

Thanks, vic

sikwan

06 Tin Can
If I send you what I'd like to add/change in my older Write-up and Database posts is it a real bother for you to edit them for me? It should not be a daily event.
No problem, Vic. :thumbup: Just pm me what you want to do. On a daily basis should be fine too. :smilewink:

famof8

Famof8 + 1 = Famof9!
Seek, good luck keeping us all straight as the forum grows. I have noticed more older Sprinters hitting the road with new owners. As they look for info (much like myself), a bad egg or two is bound to screw with what we as members have come to enjoy. You and Richard keep up the good work.

Thanks for the heads up on the editing HK. I too had wondered why I could not update older threads after a period of time. I think the one hour or one day is fine and an acceptable way of life as the forum grows.

As more join, I would not mind paying a small bit of money for more "user rights". That should keep the problem children under control as I figure most will not want to pay when they could post for free. It would also help with the costs of maintaining the higher bandwidth hosting plans.

Although if optional payments were instituted, we may have to take up a collection for AquaPuttana so he could continue to enrich us with his great "thrifty" ideas! :tongue:

I can do one or other things...
1. Keep it the way it is and just give HKPierce editing privileges not limited to 1 day.
2. Give everyone editing privileges for 1 week.
3. Give everyone "no limit" editing privileges.
I don't really mind number 3. I just don't want to restore 500 posts because of some disgruntled members. :D
Suggestions, please.

Thanks,
Seek
I realize nobody has commented on this in a while, but I'd like to request you go to #2. Most of my Sprinter projects seem to last about 3 days, and rather than keep replying to my own thread(s), I'd like to edit the original post as things develop.

Seber

I think 24 hours is more than generous. If I believe I have made a large error or need to retract a statement after that, it has been read by many and it should be made clear that a change has been made.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The problem with a long edit period is that folks who read your post two days ago won't realize that it's changed *today*
Although i'm always coming up with a better way to say what i did 2 days ago, i've learned to accept just adding a follow-on (it also reveals the learning process....)

-dick

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I realize nobody has commented on this in a while, but I'd like to request you go to #2. Most of my Sprinter projects seem to last about 3 days, and rather than keep replying to my own thread(s), I'd like to edit the original post as things develop.
Give me the link to the thread(s) you want unlimited editing privileges and I can set it for you.

Neil2

Neil2
Give me the link to the thread(s) you want unlimited editing privileges and I can set it for you.
PLEASE, grant me Edit rights. I make small tweaks constantly so the mileage, price, and amenities need editing. Thank you!

sikwan

06 Tin Can
There is no such feature since we migrated to a new platform. I would reply to the thread with new info. This has the added benefit of pushing the thread back to the top.

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
There is no such feature since we migrated to a new platform. I would reply to the thread with new info. This has the added benefit of pushing the thread back to the top.
Hi, XF supports it, and it even exists here, but the timeout before you're no longer allowed to edit is short.
I strongly suspect it's adjustable.
Thanks

EDIT: Test

Top Bottom