Finding camp

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Why should they make it easy for someone to use their data to build an app or website?
Because "their" data all come from public sources or volunteer contributions, maybe?

The fact is that under US copyright law, mere collections of facts are not protectable.

Their real contributions (and they are good ones) are their apps and websites. Nobody has suggested that they should be given away.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
I agree with davydd that Ultimate Campgrounds' use of the word "project" in its name doers not mean they have a sinister intent to mislead people. Definitions of the word "project" do not necessarily mean more than one person has to be involved in a project. That being said, I too have occasionally sent them a note with a correction or addition and I always get a prompt, courteous "thank you" reply from them. I just looked at their website and read about the POI list. I can't say I blame them for the decision to stop selling it. Why should they make it easy for someone to use their data to build an app or website?
WxToad, huh?

http://ultimatecampgrounds.com/wx2/

Welcome to Toad Hall, home of the world-renowned WxToad. The WxToad started this site a a few years ago to share his various interests, such as traveling in his Lazy Daze motorhome, reviews of over 350 campgrounds at which he and Mrs. WxToad have stayed
wxtoad.png

Perhaps it would have been more polite to have identified yourself before joining the list and submitting a self-serving first post pretending to be an arms-length user.

Last edited:

Thanasis

:thumbup:
Because "their" data all come from public sources or volunteer contributions, maybe?

The fact is that under US copyright law, mere collections of facts are not protectable.

Their real contributions (and they are good ones) are their apps and websites. Nobody has suggested that they should be given away.

WxToad

You're right, Avanti. Busted! And I do apologize. I had a post drafted introducing myself but then felt it might not be allowed. But you are absolutely correct.

As for our database, absolutely true that the information in it is freely available from all sorts of sources for anyone willing to take the time. I've spent 8 years building my database. Anyone is free to peruse my data and do with it as they like. But I don't feel that I should make it easy for someone to take my data in the form of the POI list and in a few days turn it into an app or website.

GrayGhost

I agree with davydd that Ultimate Campgrounds' use of the word "project" in its name doers not mean they have a sinister intent to mislead people. Definitions of the word "project" do not necessarily mean more than one person has to be involved in a project. That being said, I too have occasionally sent them a note with a correction or addition and I always get a prompt, courteous "thank you" reply from them. I just looked at their website and read about the POI list. I can't say I blame them for the decision to stop selling it. Why should they make it easy for someone to use their data to build an app or website?
You , however ARE misleading saying "they" "them" , etc when that site is YOU. :bash:

WxToad

Quote: "You , however ARE misleading saying "they" "them" , etc when that site is YOU."

You're right. My first apology apparently wasn't enough. I do regret my decision to not properly identify myself. I've learned a lesson here and it won't be repeated. The head-bonking is deserved.

hayduke

2005/2006 leisure travel
Quote: "You , however ARE misleading saying "they" "them" , etc when that site is YOU."

You're right. My first apology apparently wasn't enough. I do regret my decision to not properly identify myself. I've learned a lesson here and it won't be repeated. The head-bonking is deserved.
Well,you could have used a different name and nobody would have noticed,so no big deal.And I think you are correct to protect your work.I am curious though how you appeared here and registered within a few hours of your site being mentioned.?????

WxToad

I am curious though how you appeared here and registered within a few hours of your site being mentioned.?????
There's a way to have Google do a search for any keyword(s) you may want to specify that have appeared on the web in the past 24 hours. Every morning I look for references to our site.

Greysandy

I just bought the ultimate campgrounds app. Best $3.99 I ever spent. Thanks for the suggestions of using it with google earth to find great spots.

akgardner3

Hi everyone!

I use (and work for) this backcountry navigation app called Gaia GPS and thought it might be a good resource for those of you that rely heavily on Forest Service Roads, BLM and public lands for camping.

I use several other apps, like AllStays, but more often use Gaia since I'm rarely in official campgrounds.

Here's some features that I use pretty regularly to find camping in my Sprinter, plan trips, and keep track of favorite spots:

- MVUM (Motor Vehicle Use Maps): Find Forest Service roads to camp on. View accessibility info, too.
- Public Lands overlay: View a color coated overlay of public lands (ex. Forest Service, BLM, Wildlife Preserve, etc).
- USFS maps: also great for identifying forest service roads for camping
-Waypoints and data folders: I use these to plot waypoints at all my favorite campsites so I can return to them easily in the future or share with a fellow vandweller
-Map downloads: Download maps for offline use if you know you won't have cell signal, but still need to navigate or scope out camp.

If anyone's interested in giving it a try, click here for a free month: http://www.gaiagps.com/premium/?PROMO=MVUMPROMO

Happy camping! And thanks for all the other great suggestions on this thread.

glasseye

Hi everyone!

I use (and work for) this backcountry navigation app called Gaia GPS and thought it might be a good resource for those of you that rely heavily on Forest Service Roads, BLM and public lands for camping.
This looks like it could be a useful asset. However your pricing structure is opaque. You require us to sign up and log in before we even know how much it will cost?

Please. :idunno:

akgardner3

Sorry about that. Currently the pricing structure is different for iOS and Android devices since we just released a new iOS app. That won't always be the case.

For iOS, it's subscription based: $9.99 for basic $29.99 for Premium.

For Android, $19.99 one time fee to install the app. Choice to upgrade to Premium subscription.

Here's a link to the app in the App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gaia-gps/id1201979492?mt=8

Just thought I'd share something that's been useful in my van travels.

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Of all the planners I've tried, RV Trip Wizard combines all of the desired attributes: multi-day trip, overnight segments, nights to stay, all sorts of campgrounds, and so on.

Take a look at it.

Top Bottom