2006 T1N 3500 16" wheel conversion - tire size + what do I have to reset and how?

Visian

2006 T1N 3500 158" wb
2006 T1N 3500 16" wheel conversion - tire size + what do I have to reset and how?

I am going to upgrade my truck's 15" wheels to the steel 16" wheels and could not find answers to two details using Search.

- What is the hot setup for tire size?

- What do I have to reset so that the computer remains happy? Where and how is this done?

Thanks very much for the info.

Ian

Attachments

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Re: 2006 T1N 3500 16" wheel conversion - tire size + what do I have to reset and how?

There is nothing that needs to be done to the modules. If you change tire diameter, you may want to change the setting in the cluster so your speedometer is more accurate.

I believe 215/75R16 fits, 225/75R16 probably fits as well. There are a few threads on this topic. The stock tire used on NCV3 3500s would probably be a good option.

Visian

2006 T1N 3500 158" wb
Re: 2006 T1N 3500 16" wheel conversion - tire size + what do I have to reset and how?

If you change tire diameter, you may want to change the setting in the cluster so your speedometer is more accurate.
Thanks. I thought I remembered passing by this menu option when going through the cluster settings...

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence

Pretty sure you need a factory level scanner to do it, but it should be quick and easy. The largest tire size available is 225/75R16.

sipma02

Currently full time in the van

There is nothing that needs to be done to the modules. If you change tire diameter, you may want to change the setting in the cluster so your speedometer is more accurate.

I believe 215/75R16 fits, 225/75R16 probably fits as well. There are a few threads on this topic. The stock tire used on NCV3 3500s would probably be a good option.
By stock tire, do you mean stock rim? Is it a direct, bolt-on match?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence

I mean the tire. I assume you are using the ncv3 wheels.

autostaretx

Erratic Member

If you *don't* tell the electronics about it, pretty much the only effect will be that your speedometer gets a little more accurate
(for most people it reads 3 to 5% fast, enlarging the tires brings that back to "accurate")
The odometer will get less accurate (it won't report the true mileage ... it'll under-count)

The shift points may be a tad late (for power).

If you have the higher ratio differential (4.11 vs 3.73?) then the larger diameter would (again) bring you back towards what the standard 3.73 provides.

--dick

B

billintomahawk

Edit:OOPS.
Didn't see 3500. My van is a 2500.
My mistake.
Please disregard all my advice.

You could save yourslf some trouble and put on 235/75's on your 15 " wheels.
I did and it zero'd out my speedo but made my odometer 10% inaccurate(optimistic).

The increase in size is substantial.
If you drop the PSI front and rear into the 40's I think the ride will surprise you.

Your van will ride like a Cadillac.

For those too young to remember...

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/cadillac/eldorado/2300895.html

You only live once.
With a GDE tune the slightly altered shift points are a non starter since you have what we always called 'lift'.

bill in tomahawk

Last edited by a moderator:

Visian

2006 T1N 3500 158" wb

Pretty sure you need a factory level scanner to do it, but it should be quick and easy. The largest tire size available is 225/75R16.
I have the new Autel and it works very nice and is said to be very complete. Still learning how to use it... but I don't recall seeing a wheel size setting in the menus.

By stock tire, do you mean stock rim? Is it a direct, bolt-on match?
I mean the tire. I assume you are using the ncv3 wheels.
I put a link to what I bought in my original post. These wheels have the tapered holes to fit the old lug nuts. Apparently these 16" wheels were used a lot in RV applications.

If you *don't* tell the electronics about it, pretty much the only effect will be that your speedometer gets a little more accurate
(for most people it reads 3 to 5% fast, enlarging the tires brings that back to "accurate")
The odometer will get less accurate (it won't report the true mileage ... it'll under-count)

If you have the higher ratio differential (4.11 vs 3.73?) then the larger diameter would (again) bring you back towards what the standard 3.73 provides.

--dick
This is the info I am looking for. I have the 4.11 rear diff, and my speedo is about 5% optimistic.

When you say that the shift points may be a tad late, do you mean that the engine will rev higher before the transmission shifts?

I drive my truck pretty easy and use a slight lift on the accelerator to initiate a shift.

You could save yourslf some trouble and put on 235/75's on your 15 " wheels.
I did and it zero'd out my speedo but made my odometer 10% inaccurate(optimistic).

The increase in size is substantial.
If you drop the PSI front and rear into the 40's I think the ride will surprise you.

Your van will ride like a Cadillac.

With a GDE tune the slightly altered shift points are a non starter since you have what we always called 'lift'.
Well, too late now! :idunno:

I like the look of the larger wheels and fwiw, my 15" wheels are rusty. I've painted them with a "band-aid" treatment, but new ones will look nicer.

Regarding air pressure, I have tried this and settled on a 50-ish pound pressure. The truck does ride exceptionally smooth, but you can feel pavement imperfections.

Visian

2006 T1N 3500 158" wb

btw, I bought these wheels at Midwestern Wheel and Tire for $150 each. I thought that price was high, but I've been trying for over a year to find a full set via other channels with no luck.

The tires are not listed on their site, but Mike the sales guy said he can get them.

My 15" Conti Vanco tires are probably good for another 20-30k miles, so now I can time my tire purchase to pick up 7 tires ( ugh!) when they are on sale.

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence

235/75 may be too wide for the duals (they may touch).

The wheel size has no affect on the vans operation. Tire diameter will affect your speedometer/odometer. If you make a significant change to the tire diameter you may find the effective gearing noticeably different.

autostaretx

Erratic Member

me said:
When you say that the shift points may be a tad late, do you mean that the engine will rev higher before the transmission shifts?
Yes. But it'll only lag by the difference in tire diameter (i.e. turns per mile).
Another way to say it is that you may be slightly "lugging" the engine ... so it might not downshift due to load if it's using MPH as the guide ... and they're already well known for not downshifting when they could (the good old "using a ScanGauge, manually downshift when the LOD exceeds 70%" rule for best MPG)

Many people have upped their wheel sizes from 15" to 16", with no reported unhappy issues.
(but i don't know the mix of 2500 vs 3500)
A (very) few have even gone up to 18"

--dick

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence

The difference between tire diameters is not severe. Worst case the difference is about the same as going from 4.111 to 3.725 rear axle ratio.

Top Bottom