Leather Armrest Covers

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
My drivers side armrest is physically in good shape but doesn’t look so great (picture 1) so I ordered a pair of leather armrest covers made for the Honda Odyssey from Amazon (picture 2) Odyssey Armrest Cover... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYW6TXG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

This morning I tried slipping one over the armrest and it didn’t look great (pictures 3 & 4). They could probably be steam shrunk to fit better but there’s no access to the armrest height adjustment knob so I decided to just cover the foam part on top.

Attachments

BrennWagon

What you’ll need:
1 pair covers
1 t-20 driver
A razor knife
A hand stitching awl and a few yards of waxed thread (available at Ace hardware stores)

First, remove the four T-20 screws holding the top to the armrest (picture 1).
Next, slide the armrest into the cover and stitch the back corners tight, making sure that the corners are even (picture 2).
Now you’ll use the razor knife to remove the stitching that holds most of the side with the hole in it (picture 3)
After you’ve gotten that out of the way, start stitching up the middle, using the factory stitch holes as a guide (picture 4). I went every other hole but spacing isn’t as important as making a straight line. Remember, nobody will ever see this stitching unless you’re foolish enough to post it on the Sprinter Forum:lol:

Now poke some guide holes into the leather for the screws to pass through

Attachments

BrennWagon

Now that you have it beautifully upholstered, it’s time to reinstall! You will need to press the armrest into place while putting the screws in but with some patience you’ll get it. Here’s the final product. Now I just need to figure out how to reupholster the seats in leather to match my armrests and steering wheel.

Attachments

btdaffe

Thank you for your awesome post and details!

Question: All my armrests have lost some degree of foam at a corner or multiple corners. I'm wondering if I should scrape off the rest of the foam and use a glue gun to attach new foam and then put the Honda covers over them.

BrennWagon

That sounds like it would work. Once everything’s stitched together that pad shouldn’t go anywhere even if the glue releases.

Top Bottom