Gas vis Diesel / resale & power

Say what

Looking at buying a cargo 2500 high top new as a tech truck. The only thing about my existing 2011 diesel 2500 I do not like is the exhaust repairs ($12,000). I was excited to explore the 2020 gas model but I like the higher resale of diesel sprinter and am concerned the gas model may drop like a transit. I am also concerned about power, I don't need it as payload is light and land is flat where it will be used, but I sure like the power in my diesel.

thoughts....

red_johnny

I doubt that there will be a huge resale gap. The sprinter doesn't hold its value well just because of the engine, I would say its a package deal. Of course the gas will be lower value but I don't there will be a huge gap. Maybe a few thousand.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Looking at buying a cargo 2500 high top new as a tech truck. The only thing about my existing 2011 diesel 2500 I do not like is the exhaust repairs ($12,000). I was excited to explore the 2020 gas model but I like the higher resale of diesel sprinter and am concerned the gas model may drop like a transit. I am also concerned about power, I don't need it as payload is light and land is flat where it will be used, but I sure like the power in my diesel.

thoughts....
You have answered your own question.

A used Transit is much less expensive than a new Sprinter and believe it costs considerably less to maintain. Service availability is far better than a Sprinter. Gas is a better fuel to use for a vehicle with lots of stop and go in a city environment.

Any business can benefit from an extra $30,000 in available cash or elimination of vehicle payments.

Last edited:

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I doubt that there will be a huge resale gap. The sprinter doesn't hold its value well just because of the engine, I would say its a package deal.
I just finished my search for used Sprinter and MAN, vans with 150,000 miles sell for 80% of sticker price.
That is unheard on any other vehicles.
Than you will notice that I4 engine in the same MY gain about $4000 higher values than V6 engines.
The old gas v/s diesel debate will never end, but I learned to work on diesels 30 years ago and the only time I bought gasoline engine was in wagon, who never made it to America with diesel engine and ... lawnmower.
I actually found diesel push lawnmower, but the the $3000 tag wasn't to my liking.
Anyway, gasoline engine in Sprinter will likely deliver 12-15 mpg and you will have to keep it around 5000 rpm when you need torque.
Not too many people will like it.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I've observed the higher 4 cylinder prices as well.
I had them both in sedans.
V6 consumes about 30% more fuel (I have fuelly data to compare) with minimal HP difference.
Than common oil cooler gaskets job on V6 is over $2000 job due to the access.
Stupid fuel filter on V6 require removal of lot of components.

mataei

I just finished my search for used Sprinter and MAN, vans with 150,000 miles sell for 80% of sticker price.
That is unheard on any other vehicles.
Than you will notice that I4 engine in the same MY gain about $4000 higher values than V6 engines.
The old gas v/s diesel debate will never end, but I learned to work on diesels 30 years ago and the only time I bought gasoline engine was in wagon, who never made it to America with diesel engine and ... lawnmower.
I actually found diesel push lawnmower, but the the $3000 tag wasn't to my liking.
Anyway, gasoline engine in Sprinter will likely deliver 12-15 mpg and you will have to keep it around 5000 rpm when you need torque.
Not too many people will like it.
Do you have proof for that?

12-15 mpg is a bit low I think. The van needs to get at least 23-27 mpg or it wouldn't make any sense to make the van for customers to buy.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
12-15 mpg as indicated is an educated guess and that assuming new engine will have improved technology.
We don't have vans with small gasoline engines in USA, but the US made gasoline vans are happy seeing 10 mpg.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
12-15 mpg as indicated is an educated guess and that assuming new engine will have improved technology.
We don't have vans with small gasoline engines in USA, but the US made gasoline vans are happy seeing 10 mpg.
My 2015 148" WB high roof gas Ford Ecoboost in a conversion van which is about 1000 lbs under the GVW limit gets around 15 mpg. And it goes fast.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I can get 15 mpg on my Ford dully pickup, who with 6000 lb camper weights total over 7 tons. With 440 HP under the hood I am racing BMWs at red lights.
But what's the point? I don't want to drive 50 mph all the time.

red_johnny

There are already a few gas sprinters out for 2019 who reported 18-20 MPG. Depending on the trip/weight, even higher. Once I get mine I will be able to report based off our driving records. But that wont be for at least 6-7 months.

Top Bottom