Auction watch

Eric Experience

On gum tree there is a 2014 yellow 4x4, it is advertised as lwb 2wd but the photo shows a MWB 4x4, It is in Acacia Ridge Eric

blfmtriv

living in the Top End NT
well finally after a long 30 plus days i have finally got some time and flown down to pick up my Manhiem auctioned 516 cab chassis pantech from daimler merc,
for 10,5 k its a great bargin, goes like the clappers and everything works, didnt know it has an eco engine cut of when sitting at lights, that freaked me out a bit, but i have a question as it doesnt come with a owners manual, does this model use adblue at all, the wording on the side of the cabin says blue technology?

cruisingcam

On gum tree there is a 2014 yellow 4x4, it is advertised as lwb 2wd but the photo shows a MWB 4x4, It is in Acacia Ridge Eric
Hi Eric,
Thanks for the link. My first post on here so thankyou everyone for the valuable info I've been reading through.

How can you tell it's a 4x4? Sorry if that's a stupid question but as I'm looking for one for work it's relevant to me. I quite like that van except the kms are high. I didn't spot any features that said 4x4 to me?

Thanks!

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
It is a 4x2 with 5 speed auto and was built in January 2000.
I believe these were converted to 4x4 before MB got the model numbers updated. It definitely has the ZG1 option on the list (selectable 4x4 & rear diff lock). So its part-time 4x4 with no low range.

I just talked to Eric about this van. I think he got confused about a different van he was looking at at the time. This is 4x4 and auto, he used to have one exactly the same as this! There was an identical batch of these imported for the Sydney Olympic games.

He sold his because he needed low range, and he said these older vans just don't have anywhere near the torque of the CDI and without low range that becomes a problem. Also the gearing is very low in these. The 4x4 conversion puts in 4.2 diffs, and the old auto trans has a 1:1 top gear. This means it is screaming at highway speeds and the old OM602 doesn't like screaming. He said he wouldn't recommend this for anyone wanting do do any long distance touring.

jaahn

I believe these were converted to 4x4 before MB got the model numbers updated. It definitely has the ZG1 option on the list (selectable 4x4 & rear diff lock). So its part-time 4x4 with no low range.

I just talked to Eric about this van. I think he got confused about a different van he was looking at at the time. This is 4x4 and auto, he used to have one exactly the same as this! There was an identical batch of these imported for the Sydney Olympic games.

He sold his because he needed low range, and he said these older vans just don't have anywhere near the torque of the CDI and without low range that becomes a problem. Also the gearing is very low in these. The 4x4 conversion puts in 4.2 diffs, and the old auto trans has a 1:1 top gear. This means it is screaming at highway speeds and the old OM602 doesn't like screaming. He said he wouldn't recommend this for anyone wanting do do any long distance touring.
Hi :rolleyes:
There is a collection of unusual statements here. So I would warn that anyone interested check what vehicle they are looking at and what people are talking about here.

The 2000 4x4 auto will IMHO have a 4 speed auto. It would suit me for touring if I wanted to buy it, but I do not. Sure you might have to drive a bit slower on the long boreing bits. So ???? That is what I do and save fuel too.:thumbup:

While it is true SOCOG did get a couple of batches of 312D buses for the Olympic Games, as far as I know they were all converted to seats, and a wheelchair lifter and holddowns for chairs, and used for disabled transport for the games and the disabled games. I do not see where a 4x4 was required in Sydney for games access. Busted :thumbdown:

The seller of that nice bus actually said it was an ex ambulance from the NT as I remember. Perhaps there was some confusion between several different vehicles by several people.
Cheers jaahn

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
I'm sure I saw that same van sell on eBay earlier in the year. Buyer beware I guess.

It also has the hieroglyphics of death:
is that the sprint shift i've heard stories of?

i only brought it to your guys' attention because I really have liked my camper build in a box truck. it's worked out really well. but yes, if it's got known bad parts, please disregard!!!

Top Bottom