new rack option in development

221206a

I like the website you have now since the last time I checked this Thread. Awesome set up. About to order one off your website. How far apart are the holes for mounting the cross members? Laying out a diagram to see how many additional cross members i need

FourWheelers1987

A 2017 2500 144” Crew 4x4 High
Looking hard at your racks Grant for my ‘17 Sprinter high Crew. Do they mount to the M-B OEM (optional) rails or do I need to remove them for your setup?

Thx,
FW1987

Grant,

Great look and flexibility. I added mine last year so Prime Design was the only "player" for a customizable design. I thought I would add a few comments. First, Prime Design "uses" open section aluminum extrusions. Look nice but little torsional stiffness. What that means is when loaded vertically, they tend to rotate, as well as deflect vertically. So if you plan to walk on the cross members you will need to reenforce them somehow. Also the tee nuts they use cannot be added/removed without sliding out the end. So moving a cross member once assembled is not an easy thing. They do not have an option to mount a light bar. I think the were designed for work vehicles. The Prime unit has a roller at the rear for loading long stuff from the rear, again a work vehicle. I thought this would be a cool thing but the only thing is tend to roll is my foot:)

anyway, good looking design and wish I had this option last year.

Attachments

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
Looking hard at your racks Grant for my ‘17 Sprinter high Crew. Do they mount to the M-B OEM (optional) rails or do I need to remove them for your setup?

Thx,
FW1987
they require rails of some sort. oem or aftermarket

we will have racks on two vans at overland expo this year! Come by booth c34

Sunny&75

Can you tell me what size tubing or pipe you’re using? And also the physical inside dimensions side to side? Thanks

aviatordoc

I got kinda annoyed with the cost of racks, and the options, and snowflake nature (that every single one is different for XXX setup..not the political version)

So we set out to fix that, and improve the cost.

Thats a quote from the OP.
Now at 3750$ base model.

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
I got kinda annoyed with the cost of racks, and the options, and snowflake nature (that every single one is different for XXX setup..not the political version)

So we set out to fix that, and improve the cost.

Thats a quote from the OP.
Now at 3750$ base model.
Still cheaper than any other rack out there of the same type, with no 6 week wait time.

It costs to do large scale production my man. Glad to give you a job if you can do better

also base model 144 is 2595... adding an awning takes it to that price

Last edited:

221206a

well these were the way to go until the price increase. Back to the drawing board and no longer planning a trip to Florida. May be time to buy a welder again.

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
This looks good. How do I go about to get one for a 170 Sprinter Van to be delivered in August.
Hi, their site is

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
Thanks for all the support everyone!

We have an awesome network of installers around the country, Sprinter Dealers (including main dealer in charleston) and many customers who supported us this year!

Between transit and sprinter racks we put over 300 racks in the wild this year. We are continuously doing product development, including changing to a single piece CNC mount at no additional cost due to the time savings of assembling the two piece units, recovery board mounts, raised mounts for surfboards, roof top tents and walking planks.

And we have not increased the price of the rack in 2 years, despite absorbing material cost increases. Unlike our competitors, and still manage to be less expensive than anyone else on this style of rack with more flexibility.

Here's toa happy 2022 yall!

Top Bottom