Grill removal with hood stuck shut

Carly

Well my cable snapped for the hood release. I believe it snapped close to the latch. I’m attempting to remove the grill to access the latch under the hood as described in the thread on how to address this problem. I’m not seeing how it’s possible to access the two torx screws on the top of the grill on my 2010 freightliner. Also I believe there’s one middle one but I may be able to drill through under the freightliner emblem to reach this. I have been able to get my arm under the bottom of the grill near the bumper with a piece of wood wedged to keep a gap there but there is no where for me to reach to access the grill screws or the latch. Any suggestions for what to do next. I’m just scratching my head at this point and internet searches haven’t turned anything up.

Carly

So i was able to get three out of 4 top torx screws out by prying open the hood slightly and using a long socket wrench. The far passenger one was stripped. I was able to open up the drivers side of the grill with 4th screw still attached and get a better view of the plunger and latch. Now I'm not sure how to release to plunger. Should i remove the screws some how if i can that attach the mechanism to the hood? See photos to see what I can access.

Attachments

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
A possible push rod angle: 20" extension and 8" extension
image.jpg

Last edited:

CJPJ

I positioned the push rod with the hood open, paying attention that the placement would/could be done blindly from below , arm access, by the alternator.

Last edited:

Carly

Ok thanks for the recommendation. I don’t have a specific tool for this. In theory would a 28” narrow pole work??

CJPJ

Ok thanks for the recommendation. I don’t have a specific tool for this. In theory would a 28” narrow pole work??
a 28" wood dowel would work if you could get it turned from vertical. Access from below, up buy the EGR, turn horizontal and fed back through the reservoir gap, align then push the release lever.

Carly

a 28" wood dowel would work if you could get it turned from vertical. Access from below, up buy the EGR, turn horizontal and fed back through the reservoir gap, align then push the release lever.
This is as far as I’m able to get it in before I hit something and can’t get it horizontal

Attachments

CJPJ

I’ve shortened to 25” I should be very close according to your photos. I just can seem to get anything to happen. Jabbing at something but the hood doesn’t release. Still plunger is latched.
Target
image.jpeg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50714

Fabricate manipulator from stiff wire. In this case, wire used for suspended ceilings. Use a screwdriver or a wooden wedge to manipulate and compress spring loaded doohickey. Position wire manipulator into the left side of latch and pull toward left, drivers side. An assistant always helpful.

Attachments

Carly

Fabricate manipulator from stiff wire. In this case, wire used for suspended ceilings. Use a screwdriver or a wooden wedge to manipulate and compress spring loaded doohickey. Position wire manipulator into the left side of latch and pull toward left, drivers side. An assistant always helpful.
this technique looks like its very promising. thanks a lot for the visuals. going to try in a bit.

Top Bottom