3.2L 5 Cyl Powerstroke for Ford Transit

surlyoldbill

I've been watching the US release of the Transit (not to be confused with the Connect) for a while. I've been crossing my fingers for an economical diesel engine option as opposed to an over-powered fuel hog. The NCV3 Sprinters available in the US do not meet my needs; a step backwards from the T1N. I will probably have my van for another 200k miles, or 5 years, until I decide the cost of maintenence outweighs the utility. The Transit looks to be the the prospective replacement, especially if the mpg is above 25. I don't expect Mercedes to offer an economical option in the US again, their marketing research has determined that Americans want 15mpg 400hp passenger and cargo vans. A lot can happen in 5 years, the Ducato will be coming, and GM or VW may release an economical van in the US.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
I've been watching the US release of the Transit (not to be confused with the Connect) for a while. I've been crossing my fingers for an economical diesel engine option as opposed to an over-powered fuel hog. The NCV3 Sprinters available in the US do not meet my needs; a step backwards from the T1N. I will probably have my van for another 200k miles, or 5 years, until I decide the cost of maintenence outweighs the utility. The Transit looks to be the the prospective replacement, especially if the mpg is above 25. I don't expect Mercedes to offer an economical option in the US again, their marketing research has determined that Americans want 15mpg 400hp passenger and cargo vans. A lot can happen in 5 years, the Ducato will be coming, and GM or VW may release an economical van in the US.
...the 4cyl twin turbo & 7speed auto tranny is still on the radar for the 2014 Sprinter vans...

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
At current diesel and gas prices (50 to 60 cents in this area), the diesel may be more expensive to operate than a gas engine. A little spreadsheet work that includes filter changes, DPF fluid,glow plug repacement,the labor for these items and the cash value of the capitol cost difference would determine the mileage required from the gas engine to make it less expensive to operate. No particulate filter to plug up and an EGR that operates on a gas without soot. The replacement costs for a gas engine would be less but probably more often so that could be about even. Spark plug changes would be less expensive than glow plug changes. It will be interesting to see what the Transit gas engine fuel economy is in the real world.

From what I have read, the 3.2 has all the same emmission add-ons that the Sprinter has.

When I bought the 08, diesel fuel was 20 cents/gallon less than gas so the diesel with its higher MPG was easily less expensive to operate. Times have changed.

surlyoldbill

Dave, as you know, diesel fluctuates in price differently than gas. In the past, it has been less than regular, and recently it is more than super. when fuel prices go down, diesel seems to go lower, but when they go up it rises more than gas; both up and down sort of following gas, diesel doesn't seem to lead.
I like your cost analysis idea. Gas engines don't last as long, maybe 250-300k when babied vs 500-800k for gently treated diesels. Things have changed since we were kids and it was rare to get 100k without some major repair in a gas engine, so perhaps gasoline WOULD be cheaper for those of us who keep cars for a long time (I should get ten years out of my van). Cost of fuel given the same mpg isn't too big of a factor, since there doesn't seem to be more than a 5% difference at any time. So, you're right, the maintenance becomes the economical issue. Add to that the initial cost of the vehicle, diesel engines being more for some reason, and a gasoline van may be the better choice. Thanks.

One thing to consider is government restricting fuel purchases for political reasons, or because of fuel shortages (my family had a gas station along with the general store during the 70's rationing...). Perhaps there would be less restriction on diesel sales to vehicles with commercial plates than gas to regular vehicles. I dunno.

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
Imaginary American Vans

he Truth About Cars | Italy | News Blog
Guess Where This American Ram Van Will Be Built
By Bertel Schmitt on January 14, 2012

Chrysler is dropping half a billion dollars into an expansion of one of its North American plants, Automotive News [sub] reports. This is where Chrysler will produce (to what degree remains open) its Fiat Ducato van, which will be sold as a Chrysler Ram Van.

Sergio Marchionne, CEO of Chrysler, told reporters in Detroit that this plant will be “the center for production of light-commercial vehicles in North America for us.” Red-white-and-blue blooded flag-wavers may object to the location of the plant. It is about 180 miles southwest of Laredo, Texas. In Saltillo, Mexico.

The Ducato sells quite well in Europe, and is especially loved in the camper conversion crowd. Two out of three camper vans in Europe are revamped Ducatos. Fiat sells around half a million commercial vehicles each year world-wide. Just about everywhere, except in America.

In the U.S. , Ford alone sells more than 100,000 units of its Econoline and Transit Connect vans. Chrysler has been van-less since Daimler kept the Sprinter after the divorce. Unless you count the commercialized Dodge Grand Caravan, that is. The Ram C/V sold a breathtaking 691 units in the U.S. in 2011.

Fiat had said they are looking into bringing the smaller Fiat Doblo and the larger Fiat Daily to the U.S. North America. Guess where those will go.

Come to think of it: Ram Van.

Has a nice ring to it. Could be popular amongst the camper conversion crowd.

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
ram promaster

renamed fiat van
http://youtu.be/UKM9ig0CtLs

one of the noteworthy comments:
"if I had the cash , maybe , but I could also buy the same van with the Citroen or Peugeot name on it , all 3 are made in the same factory."

Last edited:

Re: Imaginary American Vans

he Truth About Cars | Italy | News Blog
... The Ram C/V sold a breathtaking 691 units in the U.S. in 2011.

Interesting article.

I think that for whatever reasons (meeting emission standards, fuel economy, changing business, production facilities, competition from smaller vans, ??) the full sized U.S. vans were likely to go away eventually.

I've said for years that I really don't understand the attraction of Sport Utility Vehicles and now the "Crossover" vehicles. It seems to me that they offer the worst of both worlds. In the case of the the SUV they don't generally handle all that well (Sport minus) and they certainly don't have all that much cargo space. What they have is often hard to access (Utility minus). I see the Ram C/V in much the same way.

My daughter is planning to have children. The other day she mentioned she will probably replace her sporty sedan with a crossover because it will better for the kids. I suggested that her mother loved the mini van we had when she was young. Maybe that should be on the radar. "I'm not a soccer Mom and I'm not driving one of those things", was her basic reply. Gotta love how preception and marketing can trump practicality most every time. FWIW.

vic

Edit: Didn't notice the original topic was diesel related. Sorry. Back to topic.

Last edited:

surlyoldbill

Re: Imaginary American Vans

Interesting article.

I think that for whatever reasons (meeting emission standards, fuel economy, changing business, production facilities, competition from smaller vans, ??) the full sized U.S. vans were likely to go away eventually.

I've said for years that I really don't understand the attraction of Sport Utility Vehicles and now the "Crossover" vehicles. It seems to me that they offer the worst of both worlds. In the case of the the SUV they don't generally handle all that well (Sport minus) and they certainly don't have all that much cargo space. What they have is often hard to access (Utility minus). I see the Ram C/V in much the same way.

My daughter is planning to have children. The other day she mentioned she will probably replace her sporty sedan with a crossover because it will better for the kids. I suggested that her mother loved the mini van we had when she was young. Maybe that should be on the radar. "I'm not a soccer Mom and I'm not driving one of those things", was her basic reply. Gotta love how preception and marketing can trump practicality most every time. FWIW.

vic

Edit: Didn't notice the original topic was diesel related. Sorry. Back to topic.
Vic, for people who can't own seperate vehicles for each application they may need, the mini SUV or crossover makes sense. In a perfect world, I'd have my Sprinter for road trips, a jeep for offroad trips, a 59 Corvette for tooling around town, a minivan for shorter in town trips with passengers, an SUV for going snowboarding with friends, a pickup for hauling stuff...etc.

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
4 wheel drive vans you can buy

Seems the Nissan would be an easy to do 4x4 considering it is really the Titan? :2cents:
Bob, apparently not that tough.
I just read the article in that attachment, Quigley's conversion charges:

Pricing:
Nissan: $10,895

GM: $11,195 (Gas Engine Cargo/Passenger Van 159" and 177" CAW); $11,495 (Diesel Engine Cargo/Passenger Van 159" and 177" CAW); $12,295 (139" WB CAW)

Ford: $11,795 (5.4L and E-350 SRW CAW);$12,195 (6.8L & E-350/E-450 DRW CAW)

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
The nissan has a giant achilles heel- the exhaust manifolds are prone to cracking and the cats and manifold are one piece - so when you replace the manifold you buy new cats along with it.

My titan needed at a set at 55K. I slipped in under cali warranty, but wont next time.

Brutally expensive.

Aside from this problem the Titan based engine and drivetrain themselves are GEMS.

Uncle Dave

Top Bottom