OEM Factory Radio Stopped Working

Dixter

Hey Guys... just wanted to post this info as it was a surprise to me....
I went on a 700 mile trip the other week and used my radio all the way there and back and it worked fine... then about a week later I get in the Sprinter for another trip and the radio wouldn't turn on at all... got home, looked at the manual, checked every fuse that had anything to do with a radio and they were all good... came here to search for something and looked like I had done everything that was suggested...
Then on a whim... I held down the FM button as I hit the radio power switch and it came to life... strange but true.. I'm pleased with the result and just maybe this could help out the next guy that gets his radio in a tizzy and it won't turn on...

good luck....:crazy:

Sledge42

Bought my "new to me" sprinter about a month ago.. worked for about 2 days.. couldn't change stations.. then it just shut down out of no where. Today I was driving down the road and the radio still isn't working.. but the CD that was in the player just puked out as I was driving. Will have to try your trick and see if I can bring her back to life!

*Update* Tried.. no luck for me.. waiting on my trim puller tool to arrive in the mail.. thought maybe the 10A fuse on the back of the radio went out possibly.

Last edited:

johnshmit

OEM radio is a MB security mastermind.
It has multiple levels of protection.
1. Security code.
2. Controlled by undisclosed CAN messages .
3. And it is so sh..ty that nobody ever would even think about stealing it.

Sledge42

Pulled my radio today. 10A fuse in the back is good. 15A fuse in the panel is also good. Still no working radio. Why the Face?

MercedesGenIn

Mercedes-Benz Resource
There are a couple of models of this radio (HA1111) being one. One is a Becker unit the other is made by Hyundai depending on which you have. The front face on both types is held to the chassis with a number of screws around the rear frame of the front panel. If you take all these out and pull the front panel off you will find a multi-connector (pins and sockets on one model, sprung terminals and PCB pads on the other model) These connections have a habit of corroding/tarnishing (obviously less likely with the pin and socket version) Symptoms usually are any of the following: no display or sound but backlight works, no function from button presses, LCD display inverts/mirror image, will not turn on, will not turn off, display disappears and goes blank but all functions still work, says PHONE and mutes but nothing is connected (no phone kit attached). Cleaning the pads/pins has been successful for me on several occasions with vans in the fleet.

The front panel has a complex PCB with both LCD driver and Microprocessor and passes multiplexed signals to and from the main chassis - if communications is lost on any of the lines the data stream seems to corrupt giving these weird faults. The display of problems is always worse in humid conditions I have found, first thing in the morning cold vehicle etc. The in-line row of pins sits on the bottom edge of the front panel behind the buttons and joins the base PCB on the chassis, that is why sometimes pressing other keys 1-5 has an effect on what is going on. Once the screws holding the face are removed from the back the face pulls forward off the chassis.

Worth a try.

All the best
Steve

Last edited:

Sledge42

Steve-
Outstanding depth on your post and links.. I think I may just have to buck up and take the sprinter into the dealer for service. I've started to drive myself crazy singing the same songs.. way out of key!

radair603

Sorry to dredge up this old thread. The radio on my 2016 2500 4x4 has been working fine. I just went out to move the van and the radio comes on for a few seconds then goes quiet. If i shut the radio off and turn it back on it will play for a few seconds then go silent. Pushing the buttons for my other preset stations does not change anything. The fact that it does play briefly when I start the engine or turn the radio on tells me the fuses are fine.

Anyone have ideas on how to fix this?

Last edited:
B

billintomahawk

Pulled my radio, it's a Becker S10.
It works fairly well but in wet weather it comes and goes. I'd like to break into it to check for connectivity in the controls area as is mentioned in an earlier link attached to this thread. It is not obvious to me how it comes apart.

Has anyone had their Becker S10 apart?

Just thought I'd ask before ripping and tearing.

I'll post some pics in a minute.

OOPS, thought I was n T1N land. Moving pics there.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68485&highlight=becker+radio

bill in tomahawk

Last edited by a moderator:

brassmonkey001

UK 2008 NCV3 518 CDI
The HU in mine was moved from the normal position into the rear of the van but has never worked since I got it. There's power there but no sign of life from the HU. I've tried it back in it's original position but nothing. I intend to change it for an aftermarket unit anyway at some point in the future but would like to know that the fault is with the stock OEM and not the vehicle wiring.

Top Bottom