2017 4x4 Build Out - Grey Escape

As a Cabinetmaker, nice work, once of the best looking roof linings i've seen so far.
Thanks! I am pretty stoked with how it turned out. I am most curious to see how the panels hold up with temperature swings and van motion. I had a glue line separate in one small place and had to fix it. Hopefully just a local bad glue job.

Wyuna

That is the issue with wood, it contracts and expands, depending on the moisture levels, timber species.

Plus add in the temperature swings and vibration you pointed out and it becomes fun.

I tend to over engineer my timber joints with Domino's, but some times you just can't control timber.

The only timber in my camper build is engineered lightweight ply, with a textured timber grain laminate veneer, as i needed a durability for the cabinets and i went with marine carpet for my roof and walls

looking forwards to seeing the rest of the build

GSWatson

2013 144
For my ceiling, I planed the pine down to 1/4” and glued the pieces to a 5mm subfloor plywood backing. Then each section was cut into panels that are held in place by the L-Track 1’2” lip and the slight pressure from the Thinsulate. Because of the slight bow up in the roof, I haven’t had any issue with sag so far, and so haven’t needed any visible screws except for the large panel where the MaxxAir is. I cut openings in the cedar for the OEM lights and left them hooked standard; I’m very happy with that arrangement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here are a few more details on how I incorporated the OEM lights into the ceiling. I epoxied some walnut rings onto the plastic lens. I routed openings into the panels to accept a printed plastic piece. The orange one in the picture below was a prototype. The final ones were clear ABS. I added a little relief in the back of the panels for the connectors. The light assembly snaps into the printed piece the same as it did with the factory headline. I used VHB tape on the tabs to adhere the ring to the panels.

It’s been awhile since I posted so I will try to briefly get caught up. I put in a basic power system tied into the OEM aux battery. It is really nice to have a basic system to tie into.

I also put in a temporary platform for a trip we took this summer. This was a great test of where we expect to have our three panel bed. Overall we liked the height and arrangement.

After we got back I made a full set of window covers. This was my first time sawing and for the most part they turned out pretty good. I used ripstop nylon with a thin Thinsulate insulation in between. I will make a separate post in the future on how I made them.

I am currently building some cherry window sills for the rear sliders. The wall panels are next and will tie into these.

I use AutoCAD Fusion 360. In my opinion it is the best free CAD platform available. I am a long time professional CAD user (Pro/E now Creo) and I have been pretty impressed with Fusion 360.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
I use AutoCAD Fusion 360. In my opinion it is the best free CAD platform available. I am a long time professional CAD user (Pro/E now Creo) and I have been pretty impressed with Fusion 360.
How do you get it free?

Just googled it and it is free for 30 days and then base program is $310/year.

Did both my conversions with a 2D CAD program. Did not find any need for 3D.

Used: http://www.generalcadd.com/101release.htm

Last edited:
When you sign up to subscribe there is an option to get it for free for personal use. It used to be free for startups making less than a $100k a year, but it recently changed.

I don’t need CAD to do the van. I do enjoy the visualization capability it allows. I do however need it to design custom parts I 3D print or cut with the CNC router.

Mickyfin

So the CR Laurence sliders have been installed. Altogether pretty straightforward. Only advice is to cut carefully! I was pretty careful, but I would have liked my corners to be a little tighter. They are solid and leak free though..
I've been looking at these windows, and would love to buy two of them, one for each side in the bedroom area, but having only found US and UKL based companies, and both not shipping internationally, I'm having a hard time locating a pair.

I have been working steadily on wall panels and insulation. I also decided to purchase some bed rails from overlandsprinter.com. After taking trips this fall with the temporary platform we realized how nice it would be to have that aspect of the build finished soon while cabinets and other systems get build out. Tying in around the windows was a bit of a trick. I had to make some wedge shaped pieces to interface with the cherry window trim I made. It turned out pretty well. Hopefully it won't be too difficult to get them covered in fabric.

You can also see how I plan to cover up the wire runs in the corners. Since these will be behind cabinets I decided to try and make them relatively accessible for future wiring work.

Just finished all of the rear section. I originally was planning to use expanded PVC behind the upper cabinets. The pieces I had in over the summer really warped a lot due to expansion so I decided to use marine plywood similar to all of the others. I also added some L-track in the rear section.

I am really hoping to hit it hard and get all of the paneling done before the end of the year. I also purchase aluminum to weld up the bed panels. That is up next after I get all of the wall panels cut and fitted.

Last edited:
All of the wall panels are cut and fitted. I hope to cover them this week. I need to cut a couple of penetrations for electrical in the lower rear panels and maybe some pockets near the bench seat for travel storage. I also came up with a better and simpler bracket for the wire run covers. These ended up much cleaner.

Next up is welding practice before making the bed panels. I cut some small pieces to practice on.

All of the bed panels are cut and tacked. I ended up having to shorten the first one a little after the fit check. The rails are placed at 39”. I ended up with the panels at 67” wide. This allows them to be put in and out easily and stack before the walls curve in too much.

Now time for the actual welds. Definitely won’t be pretty, but the grinder will take care of that!

Mickyfin

Coming along nicely. I so wish I had an indoor space like you to carry out my own conversion, I have to do all my work on the street.

GSWatson

2013 144
Coming along nicely. I so wish I had an indoor space like you to carry out my own conversion, I have to do all my work on the street.

That’s how I did most of mine. Took twice as long, as everybody walking by wanted an explanation of what I was doing...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bed panels and rails went out for powder coat last week and are finished. Need to get them picked up this week. In the mean time I have started welding the bases of the cabinets. I think I am going to go ahead and finish the basic boxes and mounting arrangement so I can drill all the holes required in the floor. I also updated my CAD layout to make sure the major equipment will fit as planned.

Attachments

Over the last few weekends I have welded up the lower cabinets. I need to weld some more stuff in but they are mostly complete. Mainly need to make places to attach equipment and panels. Definitely recommend tacking things up and test fitting. I found some interferences and had to adjust things a bit. I am slowly getting better at welding. Next up is removing the floor and insulating.

Heater arrived today. I ordered an Airtronic D2 from heaters4u on eBay. I was a little nervous but the price was right. Everything looks good after opening the box. Hopefully it will get installed in the next couple of months.

Top Bottom