Promaster deal-breaker

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
...at some point... we'll need to account for the gravitational pull of the moon...

surlyoldbill

the van i measured was sitting in the corner of a dealer's back lot on flat concrete; where the white durango is in this pic: http://goo.gl/maps/RdNcd

i measured to the center of the axle. if i hadn't deleted all the pics off my phone before i went racing a couple weeks ago, I'd post the shots i took.

if the van's tires were properly inflated, then how would rear weight differences affect axle clearance as much as an inch and a quarter? i assume you measured to actual axle, not to the bottom of the spring hanger next to the wheel, right? since that moves with the tire...it's near impossible to hit with anything you don't also hit with the wheel.
Yeah, weight would just lower the body above the suspension, not the drop axle. I measured the drop axle.
I have lasers and other equipment for more precise measurement and determination of any camber in the ground where the measurement is taken. Also, to be a better study, several vans need to be measured, say 30-40, and the results averaged. We may have found two that were aberrant for some reason on either end of the spectrum.

surlyoldbill

Just got back from a 1500 mile jaunt to Phoenix and back.

And WTF? I saw a Promaster base motorhome on the road and at a rest stop, the cab said 1500, and the drop axle looked a lot higher than the van I saw and the one I measured?! It looked like the bottom was 2" up from the bottom of the rim, not near flush like the others. I would estimate 7-8" clearance.

Jury is still out.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Just got back from a 1500 mile jaunt to Phoenix and back.

And WTF? I saw a Promaster base motorhome on the road and at a rest stop, the cab said 1500, and the drop axle looked a lot higher than the van I saw and the one I measured?! It looked like the bottom was 2" up from the bottom of the rim, not near flush like the others. I would estimate 7-8" clearance.

Jury is still out.
...we are coming up on a full moon... :smilewink:

surlyoldbill

RE: Post #83
Would installing a larger diameter wheel and tire account for the difference?
It would have to be a MUCH larger diameter tire/wheel combination. Remember, it will only be raised half the increase of the taller tire/wheel height. I didn't look to see if there were clearance issues on the Ram Master like the Sprinter, which make taller tires a bad idea.

2" more clearance means 4" taller tire.

Top Bottom