Anyone swapped out the 2-person front bench seat?

tucson_jeff

Picked up a 4x4 cargo van last week, it's one sweet ride. Perhaps unfortunately I ordered the 2-person front bench set (2-person plus driver's seat, i.e., front bench all the way across). What I didn't know is that the passenger seat back is completely fixed - it doesn't recline nor bend forward. Since I have a partition installed, there's a lot of inaccessible/wasted space behind the seat.

Anyone figured this out? It looks like swapping for a front passenger bucket seat would be "non-trivial". I'm guessing there's no aftermarket seats to address this, at least without some serious modifications to the base. Maybe I'll be best off trying to cut an access hole in the partition? Thanks-

Mponton

Our Sprinter came with the 2 person front bench. I know I'm bumping a 2 year old thread.... What did you do about this to get two bucket seats?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

BRANCALEONE

Very easy, you need a new single base and different floor mat base for all front cabin. Don't forget to disconnect the battery or you will trigger the airbag sensor.:2cents:

I just removed my bench seat and installed two aftermarket seats. I bought a new base from dealer. I installed swivels as well. I did NOT get shorter bases and I actually enjoy the new ride height. The floor mat is completely different but I plan on carpeting the entire front so I will modify existing mat somehow. Glad I did it. I like walking from front to back easily

bbmm

Hello there,
I Just bought the 2019 Sprinter which came with the same front 2 person passenger seat or bench seat so I have the same problem, like to walk to the back but can’t.

I read you have changed the base from 2 seater to one seat.

You bought the base from MB dealer which is amazing, I had no idea they actually sell the base and that the base can actually be replaced, great to know and Tnx for that info.

But then you’ve installed an after market seat! Does any after market seat fit on that base or do you have to do some modification? And how expensive is a simple after market seat that would fit on this base? Which brand did you buy and where from?

Would really appreciate your respond.

ravens1705

I have swapped to a single seat rather than the bench seat. it was a simple change over of the seat base and a resistor installed in the centre seat wire , don't forget otherwise you get a warning message displayed on the dash. the base and suspension seat I sourced from a older sprinter

JonnyWayne

so for everyone that made the swap from a double seat to a single seat - did the bracket holes on the single seat bracket line up with the original double seat bracket?

pak29

There are additional threaded holes in the floor so you should be able to swap from single to double or vise versa.

pak29

I just did this swap today. It is seamless. You will also need to swap the padded floor covering, as the double-seat floor cover will leave a bare spot between the seats with a single seat, and the double seat will not bolt down over the padded area between the seats with the single-seat floor covering. It is held down by a piece of trim with three T25 screws by the door, as well as the lower edge of the tool compartment cover.

pak29

Don't forget to disconnect the battery or you will trigger the airbag sensor.:2cents:
Battery disconnect isn't necessary. Just don't turn the ignition on while the yellow connector is disconnected. Put the key somewhere away from the vehicle until you are done working to avoid accidentally tuning it on to roll down the windows or something.

Dann

I have swapped to a single seat rather than the bench seat. it was a simple change over of the seat base and a resistor installed in the centre seat wire , don't forget otherwise you get a warning message displayed on the dash. the base and suspension seat I sourced from a older sprinter
Is it possible to reconnect the cable?
My single seat (OEM seat) has a connector that is attached to the seat belt receiver ( same as on the driver seat.
This connector is different than the one on the double seat, which mean that the single seat cannot be connected to the wire in the base.
Can I just take the matching connector from the double seat to replace the one on the single seat and join the two or are they for two different sensors?
For now, I have a resistor in the base connector.

Adkwinter

I just removed my bench seat and installed two aftermarket seats. I bought a new base from dealer. I installed swivels as well. I did NOT get shorter bases and I actually enjoy the new ride height. The floor mat is completely different but I plan on carpeting the entire front so I will modify existing mat somehow. Glad I did it. I like walking from front to back easily
Hi
I know this was a long time ago but do you still have the front bench seat? I’m looking for one. Thanks

Adkwinter

Hello there,
I Just bought the 2019 Sprinter which came with the same front 2 person passenger seat or bench seat so I have the same problem, like to walk to the back but can’t.

I read you have changed the base from 2 seater to one seat.

You bought the base from MB dealer which is amazing, I had no idea they actually sell the base and that the base can actually be replaced, great to know and Tnx for that info.

But then you’ve installed an after market seat! Does any after market seat fit on that base or do you have to do some modification? And how expensive is a simple after market seat that would fit on this base? Which brand did you buy and where from?

Would really appreciate your respond.
Hi
I know it was a while ago but do you still have the bench seat? I’m looking for one. Thanks

Adkwinter

Hi
Do you still have the bench seat? I’m looking for one. Thanks

Adkwinter

Is it possible to reconnect the cable?
My single seat (OEM seat) has a connector that is attached to the seat belt receiver ( same as on the driver seat.
This connector is different than the one on the double seat, which mean that the single seat cannot be connected to the wire in the base.
Can I just take the matching connector from the double seat to replace the one on the single seat and join the two or are they for two different sensors?
For now, I have a resistor in the base connector.
Hi
Do you still have your bench seat? I’m looking for one. Thanks

Dann

Hi
Do you still have your bench seat? I’m looking for one. Thanks
Yes I stil have it but I want to install it in the "second row" with my dining table. (not for passengers)
FYI: The bench seat is exactly that . A bench. No adjustments possible and very uncomfortable for long rides.

Adkwinter

Yes I stil have it but I want to install it in the "second row" with my dining table. (not for passengers)
FYI: The bench seat is exactly that . A bench. No adjustments possible and very uncomfortable for long rides.
Hi
I know about it’s comfort. I originaly had one in my van and swapped it out for a single seat. Now I wish I had it for when there are 3 of us.
Thanks

Top Bottom