Def at the Pump

dbuzz77

Dbuzz77
Pilot and Loves say they have def at the pump, but when i went there today in lake havasu city az i couldn't find it. anyone bought it at the pump before? thanks

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
It is usually at the high-volume truck pumps. You need to get in line with the big boys. Kind of a pain because you usually can't pay at the pumps.

dbuzz77

Dbuzz77
ah i wondered about that. they should say that on their websites, i'm not going to get in line with 20 or 30 semi's to use a pump that i can't pay at.

sailquik

Did you find the white pump down at the end of each truck diesel island.
Did you go back to the big truck (18 wheeler) pump islands behind the buildings?
Probably cause all sorts of "mis-fuel" episodes if they put DEF pumps out front where the gasoline and
RV pumps are located.
Roger

sailquik

dbuzz77/avanti,
You can combine the diesel cost and the DEF cost but you need to go inside to the fuel desk to pay.
They take credit cards, but not out at the pump in many diesel truck stops/travel centers.
Pay at the pump is out front.
Fuel desk transactions are out back where the large 18 wheelers fuel up.
There are often "single side" pumps on the outboard islands to handle straight trucks that don't need to fuel
on both sides.
Whatever you do, DO NOT head into the large truck diesel fuel islands from the building side.
You often don't have to wait very long as it's truck stop protocol to pull forward as soon as you are finished
fueling....then go to the fuel desk and pay.
Out front, where the gas pumps are, can be chaos as everyone thinks they can run around to the back and
get fuel heading out away from the building.
I offered to shove a guy with a brand new Hummer back out away from the pump I had been waiting for.
I think my Mitsubishi Fuso FG 4x4 in low range could have shoved him out away from the single diesel pump.
Some stations even have arrows painted on the entrance to the pumps (both out front and in the back so you can see clearly
what the traffic flow to the pumps actually is.
Roger

Last edited:

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
I used to get my DEF there all the time. But, the one and only time I got a "10 starts remaining" fault was on a very hot day in Texas, a few minutes after a DEF fillip from the pump. It turned out to be a NOX sensor failure. Did the cold DEF from an underground tank hitting the hot sensors cause the failure? Probably not, but once burned twice shy, so I have become a convert to the "top it off from the box" school.:idunno:

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
"...I have become a convert to the "top it off from the box" school...." Me, too. I like to know where my DEF is coming from.... As sensitive/persnickety as these DEF systems seem to be, I don't want to tempt fate.

D

Deleted member 50714

Dear Beautiful Sprinter Brothers and Sisters:

I found the large, 2-1/2 gallon box with its "Water Wiggle" sprout a bit heavy and cumbersome at 20-plus pounds to hoist to the height of the Sprinter's DEF reservoir. Particularly, since I don't want to risk aggravating existing lumbar issues. After months of diligent research, I feel compelled to share what I am confident you will agree a less arduous and guaranteed "NO SPILL" method.

Purchase a genuine Mercedes-Benz, one liter bottle of DEF, a $13 dollar value (pictured), equiped with a snazzy, spring loaded sprout that screws directly to the vehicle's DEF reservoir filling receptacle. Once attached a downward push activates the spring loaded sprout initiating the filling process and once full, automatically stops. No muss no fuss! The bottle can be detached without spilling a drop.

The one liter bottle can be replenished from the larger 2-1/2 gallon box, a brand of your preference.

Enjoy,

NOx

Ps: price varies from $9.00-$19.00. So, shop around.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

sailquik

Bob,
Did you ever try the TerraCair Ultra Pure DEF?
I find the shape of the 2.5 Gallon Terra-Cair Ultra Pure DEF "kit" far easier
to use as it has the handle molded into the top of the container and the flex-spout
(if you can find it) works a lot better as well.
If you remove both the fill cap and the vent cap, it seems to flow into your DEF reservoir
in about 1/2 the time as the "boxed" DEF brands in the cardboard box packaging.
The latest kits have a vent in the spout that seems to work just as well as the vent cap.
Your local Do It Best Hardware store can order it for you "shipped to the store" to save
freight/delivery cost.
https://www.doitbest.com/products/570066?via=57c72f1d69702d410a0030f6,57c72f2869702d410a0031a5
Roger

Last edited:

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
I, too, use the "NOX DEF Handling and Refill Protocol"

(I think that a number of other folks do as well)

Mr. Moderator, please consider the previous post a candidate for "sticky status."
Thanks for the suggestion. I copied and pasted some of the fill ideas to the existing DEF Sticky.

Too many Sticky threads will dilute the value that they provide. Sticky thread status is determined by admin collective assessment, not by member request.

:cheers: vic

D

Deleted member 50714

Thanks for the suggestion. I copied and pasted some of the fill ideas to the existing DEF Sticky.

Too many Sticky threads will dilute the value that they provide. Sticky thread status is determined by admin collective assessment, not by member request.

:cheers: vic
Thank you....Father knows best. :clapping::thumbup:

D

Deleted member 50714

Bob,
Did you ever try the TerraCair Ultra Pure DEF?
I find the shape of the 2.5 Gallon Terra-Cair Ultra Pure DEF "kit" far easier
to use as it has the handle molded into the top of the container and the flex-spout
(if you can find it) works a lot better as well.
If you remove both the fill cap and the vent cap, it seems to flow into your DEF reservoir
in about 1/2 the time as the "boxed" DEF brands in the cardboard box packaging.
The latest kits have a vent in the spout that seems to work just as well as the vent cap.
Your local Do It Best Hardware store can order it for you "shipped to the store" to save
freight/delivery cost.
https://www.doitbest.com/products/570066?via=57c72f1d69702d410a0030f6,57c72f2869702d410a0031a5
Roger
Hi Roger, I am low and based on your recommendation will order it from Karl's hardware in Rosamond. They said will order it. There's a new Tractor Supply in town and will check to if they have it. I like the separate vent cap feature you mention.

NOx

the dude

Sailquick ( Roger ) , not to stray , at " Rural King " stores in Florida the every day price for TerraCair DEF is $6 for a 2.5 gallon container . :clapping: . Lots in supply .:thumbup:

D

Deleted member 50714

I hope this doesn’t get in the way of you getting a sticky but a hand bellows pump like this to pump it right out of the box. Gives great control to prevent overfilling.
Run clean water through it when you are done to prevent crystals from forming.

https://www.amazon.com/Sonline-Manu...1518350429&sr=8-3&keywords=kerosene+hand+pump
Thank you for sharing. I think all methods should be shared and our brothers and sisters can choose the method most convenient and comfortable.

D

Deleted member 50714

Sailquick ( Roger ) , not to stray , at " Rural King " stores in Florida the every day price for TerraCair DEF is $6 for a 2.5 gallon container . :clapping: . Lots in supply .:thumbup:
That's inexpensive!

rollerbearing

Thanks Bob!

Great information on the MB def bottle, def shelf life and date code.

I will be picking up one of the MB bottles. I am struck by how much the MB bottle looks like a Fleet Enema bottle - but at $13 a liter I supose I should not be.

Top Bottom