Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Sprinter Talk > Scanners

Old 10-18-2019, 10:58 AM   #101
Jan M

Default Re: Using the MB Star Xentry/DAS

I bought a complete Star C3 system from www.obdstore.co.uk last year. It has worked flawless and helped me a lot in servicing and repairing my van. The MD Tony is also very serviceminded. Highly recommended.
Jan M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:16 PM   #102
marklg

Any advantage to getting a C4 or C5 over a C3 if I only have a T1N? It seems from these forums getting a ready to run system including laptop with an SSD is the way to go unless I want more headaches. Expecting to follow Dennis's suggestions.

Regards,

Mark
marklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:23 AM   #103
WannaSprint

For my 2007 Dodge Sprinter, it sounds like I don't want to go with a C3, and that a C4 is better. Am I understanding that correctly?

Would a C5 offer any more or less than a C4 for this older van? It looks like the prices are about the same.

Also, I'm reading conflicting opinions on the version vintage for older vans, and for Dodge vans... e.g. 2015.05 vs V2012.11

(BTW, what exactly is that version number for...MB Star firmware? Xentry software? Something else?)

Last edited by WannaSprint; 10-24-2019 at 04:37 AM.
WannaSprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:43 AM   #104
WannaSprint

And finally, one aspect that is getting very little discussion here...I am super uneasy about booting up a laptop with software and operating system of questionable origin. If it's isolated and not on my wifi network, I guess I'm not too worried. Do these insist on Internet connectivity to run? Can I just say Nope to wifi settings?

If not, at least I can put it on a guest wifi so it can't see my other goodies. At least, not so easily.

What's the consensus on the data safety of these laptops, as well as the scanners?
Old 10-25-2019, 03:05 AM   #105
Axiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaSprint View Post
And finally, one aspect that is getting very little discussion here...I am super uneasy about booting up a laptop with software and operating system of questionable origin. If it's isolated and not on my wifi network, I guess I'm not too worried. Do these insist on Internet connectivity to run? Can I just say Nope to wifi settings?

If not, at least I can put it on a guest wifi so it can't see my other goodies. At least, not so easily.

What's the consensus on the data safety of these laptops, as well as the scanners?
It would take a pretty gnarly BIOS level piece of malware to permanently screw up the laptop. Worst thing that happens is that your laptop is too new and it blue screens when it tries to boot. In that case, take out the hard drive and put the original one with your existing working Windows/Mac/Linux/Android/whatever people run these days back in.

My recommendation is not to connect it to the internet at all as you run the risk of it phoning home to Mother Mercedes and disabling the software due to improper/cracked activation. My software did not come with any network drivers and has only been run offline. When I wanted to install display drivers, I installed them from a USB stick.
Axiom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Axiom For This Useful Post:
WannaSprint (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 07:45 PM   #106
WannaSprint

Thanks. I didn't realize you could run it completely offline. Sounds like you bought a drive, not a preconfigured laptop. I hadn't considered that... Sounds a bit safer, perhaps.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2019, 08:14 PM   #107
marklg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaSprint View Post
Thanks. I didn't realize you could run it completely offline. Sounds like you bought a drive, not a preconfigured laptop. I hadn't considered that... Sounds a bit safer, perhaps.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I figured that a drive alone may not work in a particular different laptop and Windows will want to go to the internet for drivers. I've read stories about effort getting it up and running. I figured a preconfigured used laptop that I never connect to the internet is reasonable enough. Both a drive or a preconfigured laptop could contain malware. A seller that has been in business for a while is likely to not have malware, just because they value their reputation and it is in their best interest to send things out clean.

Regards,

Mark

Last edited by marklg; 10-30-2019 at 08:17 PM.
marklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:39 AM   #108
Goofy foot
sliding left...

Ive run my c3 successfully on a Toughbook CF-31 offline using Windows XP, using a serial port for years. When I want to use the laptop for anything else....I swap hard drives and run Windows 10.
Michellin LTX M/S2
Goofy foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:50 AM   #109
lolailando

Hi I bought a C3 from Chen (OBD in aliexpress) a year ago. I couldn't conect to my sprinter and Chen told me to use com2.....long story short I got busy until this week my gl320 broke down. I try to connect on com2 but still getting an error.
Chen was nice enough to conect to my computer, and says C3 is working but for my Sprinter I would need a C3 24v or a C4???
Really mad right now, I specifically told Chen I was buying form him because he was recommended at Sprinter forum but apparently he sold me a C3 that doesn't work for Sprinter.
Does anyone know what cars can a C3 12v be used on?
I feel completely cheated at this point.
lolailando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:02 AM   #110
Lotus54

I had an issue when I got mine awhile ago. I did get all my money, by ‘reselling’ to another of their customers in the states.
Then I got the other version- but I’m not convinced I needed that version. I recall an issue with the com ports, but I’ll have to go back and see if I made a post or some notes on it.
I was not very pleased with ordering one specifically for a Sprinter- then said I had to get something else. It is NOT a 24V vehicle, so I don’t see why it would need it.
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote