2017 4X4 DIY Touring Build

AEmedic

Just finished putting the wall panels and outlets in. The silver one is a 110v pop out 3 outlets. The others are 12v with 1 round and 2 USB.

This one is right next to the sliding door, it also has the control for the power sofa.

Last edited:

AEmedic

I got the captains chairs in the van to work out their final positions:

Items I have left:
Drill, bolt and wire captains chairs
Finish final electrical checks
Install the VanRug
Install variable high idle wiring and rockers
Install trailer brake controller
Install Dish receiver
Install Xbox One X

The 3500 has a different rear axle (full floating) dual rear wheels, different springs, heavier frame, larger rear brakes. Thus the rear axle can handle another 1200lbs or so. If you are at 8600lbs fully loaded (with driver/passenger) I would not sweat it. 70lbs is not a major exceedance.
Actually there are multiple versions of the 3500. One has a GVW of 9990, which I assume is what you are mentioning. The other very common one has a GVW of 11030 (although on mbvans.com it looks like it wasn't available in 2018) and it looks like for 2019 there is even a 4500 with a GVW of 12125.

Shapi

WOW! Really nice and thanks for the pics. Lots of take always for this noob! What I really appreciated from reading your posts is the amount of time and planning everything takes. Quick question on the captains chairs, did you mount through the wood floor or make cut outs and mount directly to the metal floor? Hard to tell from pics...thanks again!

AEmedic

WOW! Really nice and thanks for the pics. Lots of take always for this noob! What I really appreciated from reading your posts is the amount of time and planning everything takes. Quick question on the captains chairs, did you mount through the wood floor or make cut outs and mount directly to the metal floor? Hard to tell from pics...thanks again!
Thank you! I did bolt through the plywood, floor and steel strips.

AEmedic

The electrical is complete and up and running. I have some odds and ends along with installing the variable high idle and the trailer brake control this weekend...then, it's done!

AEmedic

She is basically done! I have the lap belts ordered for the sofa and I still need to disable the Parktronics due to the light bar on the front. And somehow I did something so that the PS rear turn signal is not functional.

Jakelake

This is not really adding to this thread but there was mention of how hot a Dark van can get when the sun is out. I have searched the forum but did not find anything concerning how to mitigate this heat issue. I am thinking of buying a roll of 3M white aluminum vinyl car wrap and cover the roof between the roof rails, aft of my solar panels, to just forward of the backup camera mount. About 5 feet wide and 8 feet long section of roof. It would only be visible from above the van, not visible when standing on the ground. Has anyone done this and did it make a difference? The roof of my dark gray van gets so hot in the summer that it will burn your hand if you touch it, which can be painful when climbing up to put surfboards or kayak on the rack.

radair603

Looks great, Chris! Nice work!

This is not really adding to this thread but there was mention of how hot a Dark van can get when the sun is out. I have searched the forum but did not find anything concerning how to mitigate this heat issue. I am thinking of buying a roll of 3M white aluminum vinyl car wrap and cover the roof between the roof rails, aft of my solar panels, to just forward of the backup camera mount. About 5 feet wide and 8 feet long section of roof. It would only be visible from above the van, not visible when standing on the ground. Has anyone done this and did it make a difference? The roof of my dark gray van gets so hot in the summer that it will burn your hand if you touch it, which can be painful when climbing up to put surfboards or kayak on the rack.
I was thinking of doing something similar to my black van. It has to make a significant difference, IMO.

AEmedic

Is this something you purchased to extend the range? Did it work? I hate how weak the signal is.
It did work, I use to have to be right next to the van, and often had to push the remote repeatedly for it to function.

The process is just to move the antenna wire from the bar behind and above the glove box, to along the passenger side of the center dash compartment. it is now under the trim behind the fresh air vent. It works from 50+ feet now.

AEmedic

The local dealer did the version coding for the PSM and the Variable high idle today. It was only $140, good deal!

Top Bottom