You can keep your stealth camping #4

glasseye

Absolutely, todally, one hundred percent better than my last overnight stay in the Bakersfield Walmart. :cheers:

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
Denis, Hotel Villa Cimbrone is just a solid inorganic substance and bent iron.

lindenengineering

Yes but the history and culture is there plus the ambiance!
A bit more than a hot dog & a coke or Hamberguester (Trump's word not mine) for dinner and not forgetting instant coffee made in the bathroom A la Carte Americana for your wake up cuppa!:lol:
Dennis

ptheland

2013 144" low top Passgr
Yes but the history and culture is there plus the ambiance!
Are you implying the WalMart parking lot lacks history, culture, and ambiance??? :tongue:

It has all three. They just lack the polished advertising of more expensive lodging accommodations.

[Robin Leach voice, with appropriate panning camera shots]
Built in the early aughts, it has been the site of countless romantic meetings between strangers. Watch carefully and you'll see the women in traditional garb strike up conversations with men sitting in their cars. After some friendly banter, they might drive away together to spend some time courting each other in a more private place, such as the loading dock.

In addition to the obvious market in the adjoining building, there is a vibrant market place happening right in the parking lot itself. Hidden to the casual observer, the transactions generally take place out of car windows and with quick, furtive movements. Bring your cash, because this secret market doesn't take Visa.

You never know when a party will break out, but when they do you can easily spot them by the red and blue flashing lights. Wander over to the party and join in the festive atmosphere by shouting your encouragement to those on the impromptu dance and wrestling floor. But you better hurry, as the guys bringing the flashing lights tend to leave pretty quickly with the losers of the wrestling match.

Last edited:

lindenengineering

I expect if you turned up with a Sprinter outside reception you are likely to get:-

Ehi, l'ingresso ai commercianti è dietro la schiena. Segui i segni amico mio grazi.:laughing:
Dennis

lindenengineering

The Grand Tour is you want the Grand Tour then it has to the the Belmond Caruso Splendido!
I have dined here but not stayed, nice elegant rooms
Their concierge staff are all Clef D' Or members :-
https://www.belmond.com/hotels/europe/italy/portofino/belmond-hotel-splendido/

They even have a complimentary lancha style boat for guests .

My preferred is the Villa Francha Positano as they do excellent cooking school classes which is a fine dining hobby of mine:-
https://www.villafrancahotel.it/en/eat-and-drink.php
Dennis

We have done two month-long tours of Europe so far, and we enjoyed everywhere we stayed, but with a few exceptions, our accommodations tended to be around/roughly the equivalent of about $150 USD per night.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
The best place.
We had spent several days in Paris and had given up our hotel room planning to get to Munich on our Eurail pass.
We discovered that they only allowed a specific number of pass holders per train. All the trains were full. So we took a train to Brussels and from there took a train south across Germany. We made it to Koblenz, Germany that day.
We got off the train and asked an old guy walking by, where is a good place to stay? He told us of something like the King's parlor down by the river.
A small place right on the Rhine. The river, the walkway and the hotel.
The false balcony on the second floor gave my kid just enough room to stick the head of the bed out, like sleeping outdoors. The bath was orange, the decor was all 1960s. I expected to see a portable reel-to-reel recorder in the top drawer. I'll dig up pictures if someone posts they are interested in such.
We stayed two days it was just so relaxing.
All the usual stuff. Great coffee sitting along the river. Visiting a nearby castle/fort. Local beer.

Last edited:

Top Bottom