Post your mountain biking pics here

sprinterPaul

7200 feet of climbing in 40 miles to Santiago Peak. Descending Joplin, old camp, and luge. Solid day of pedaling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stormpeakco

'19 M-B/'19 LTV U-TB
How about a picture thread of your biking adventures via Sprinter?

Dolores, Colorado had a recent storm, so while on a work trip there, I rented a fatbike. Just North of Cortez, and an hour or so from Telluride, this is a funky little town with a great brewpub, and not a whole lot else.... except for Boggy Draw trail system, which is quite fun:

Last edited:

ENMeyer

sorry (very old posting) but next time do NOT pass up Phil's World, 5 miles east of Cortez...ride a rigid fatbike year round (27.5"/2.8" non-winter and 26"/4.5" winter set up).
I travel there just for Phil's, 2-3X/YR to incorporate w/ a day in Moab and a day in Fruita.
for the curious, google/video Phil's World Rib Cage
I go to Cortez monthly for work (hence my purchase of a Sprinter), and I totally agree with Phil's World. I tell everyone that it's the most fun trail system in the state, and that's saying a lot.

I stopped in Kokopelli Bike shop on my 1st trip there (7 years ago) and asked for trail recommendations. Before I could get my question out, they just said "Phil's World". I thought they were being a bit rude by not asking me about what I wanted to find to ride, but they were 100% correct about Phil's World.

Also noteworthy, I've probably ridden it 30 times, and it's very rare NOT to see another adventure van in the parking lot!

calbiker

That brings back memories. Back in the 60's I used to motorcycle around Santiago Peak, and then biked your trail in the 90's. Have the book "Mountain Biking Orange County" by Randy Vogel and biked many of them.

7200 feet of climbing in 40 miles to Santiago Peak. Descending Joplin, old camp, and luge. Solid day of pedaling.

alexk243

KulAdventure
Waiting for my sprinter to be built and dreaming of bike trips aided by the movable base.
I’ve got a Dobie as well who would be with me. So I wondered where yours was when you were riding?
So on a lot of the rides she comes with, only if its an area that is ok with off-leash dogs, which isn't many places. Video of her biking with me in Telluride, CO.
I use a retractable leash attached to my bag for going across roads or near the trail head with a harness that has an easy to grab handle to grab her.

If she is not biking with me, which is a good amount of the time too, then she stays in the van under certain circumstances. The outside ambient temperature has to be safe, for me that's under 80 degrees. The van has to be parked in shade and I prep the van a lot. Maxxfan run on high exhausting air. Front window vents installed. Fan (rest stop one I love) running on high by front window vents, Reflextix in every window. Large container of water that she can access and not spill. I also put up signs on my windows saying that she is in there and has plenty of water.

If its warmer than that I just don't get to bike, or we take turns sitting with her and biking (DH areas). I have always debated an AC system for her or running the engine, but in my mind that's just not fail safe. There is always the chance of failure and without a remote monitoring system I don't feel comfortable at temps above 80.

sprinterPaul

So on a lot of the rides she comes with, only if its an area that is ok with off-leash dogs, which isn't many places. Video of her biking with me in Telluride, CO.
I use a retractable leash attached to my bag for going across roads or near the trail head with a harness that has an easy to grab handle to grab her.

If she is not biking with me, which is a good amount of the time too, then she stays in the van under certain circumstances. The outside ambient temperature has to be safe, for me that's under 80 degrees. The van has to be parked in shade and I prep the van a lot. Maxxfan run on high exhausting air. Front window vents installed. Fan (rest stop one I love) running on high by front window vents, Reflextix in every window. Large container of water that she can access and not spill. I also put up signs on my windows saying that she is in there and has plenty of water.

If its warmer than that I just don't get to bike, or we take turns sitting with her and biking (DH areas). I have always debated an AC system for her or running the engine, but in my mind that's just not fail safe. There is always the chance of failure and without a remote monitoring system I don't feel comfortable at temps above 80.

Ran into this cool trail dog. She left her owner behind to run with me. Amazing how fast they are on trails.

She was very well mannered and knew to stay behind me or far enough to the side.

alexk243

KulAdventure
Ran into this cool trail dog. She left her owner behind to run with me. Amazing how fast they are on trails.

She was very well mannered and knew to stay behind me or far enough to the side.

Yeah no kidding, When we first started in Copper Harbor this fall she took off in front of me down hill to catch up to the leader in our group (she always likes to be second in line...) and my GPS had me going 25mph down the hill and she disappeared in front of me, She had to be going 28-30mpg!

surferJ

Thanks for the explanation. I fully trusted that as a dog owner you respected the heat dangers.
I was more wondering how she handled the being left alone time.

The leash setup looks cool and with some practice looks doable.
And leashless being the best. The Dobermans are a special breed in how they glue to the owner and stay close.

alexk243

KulAdventure
Thanks for the explanation. I fully trusted that as a dog owner you respected the heat dangers.

I was more wondering how she handled the being left alone time.

The leash setup looks cool and with some practice looks doable.

And leashless being the best. The Dobermans are a special breed in how they glue to the owner and stay close.
Yeah I was never really worried about her running off. If you know Dobermans you know they stick to you.

She's real good at being left alone, I think that varies from dog to dog. She's always been fine at home or in the van. Pretty much just sits there and sleeps. She doesn't seem to have any separation anxiety, which could be a problem in a van if they did.

I think it already helps that all the windows are blacked out and the fans are loud. That kinda helps her relax and not be in patrol mode like Dobermans tend to be.

We travel with another dog too from time to time and when they both are in the van they are fine being left alone together too. The other one tends to sit on the front seats waiting for us though while my dobe tends to crash on the back bed lol.

Last edited:

radair603

We should really have some season-appropriate shots. Some of these are rather vintage with fat bikes being the rage these days. The Nokian Freddies Revenz studded tires were hard to beat for gnarly ice though.

Attachments

chris02

Testing the new Fiamma 200DJ2 with the Yeti - at the beach and time in the bush down on the south coast of NSW.

Works fine with the wheel carrier with no adjustments to be made. It's solid but I'm going to make up a better security arm to solidly protect the bikes. Prob not needed but the bikes jut cant be replaced.. SB66's are not longer....

Attachments

levinro

2016 Sprinter 144" 4x4 / 2021 Ford Transit
The Wedge Overlook recreation area near Green River, UT. Yes, you can go as close to the edge as you dare. There's a nice MTB singletrack trail along a good part of the rim around the canyon.

Attachments

calbiker

Eight days at Gooseberry Mesa. It doesn't get any better than that! My favorite camping spot, right at the edge of the mesa cliffs, partially overlooking Zion NP. At 71, I think I'll pass up the South Rim trail in the future. It's now rated at "Extreme Difficulty" and it worked me.

Attachments

Last edited:

OffroadHamster

A while back I bought my wife, who has MS, an electric pedal assist bike. Only problem was I could not keep up with her. Even pulling the trailer with our two daughters she was smoking me. After bombing around town on her bike I bit the bullet and jumped in. I sold my FS freeride bike and bought a Surly Karate Monkey with Fox 34 Float and converted it to electric. 750W torque sensing mid drive, tuned to 1000W, with 700ah battery. After disparaging electric mountain bike riders for the last couple years I have to do a full 180. This is the most fun ive had on a bike since I bought my first FS bike and went bombing down a rock garden laughing like an idiot.

Did a thirty mile ride with 3200ft of climbing over the weekend in a hair under 2 hours. Its like having lift access wherever you ride. Way too much fun. Had to disassemble my bike rack and pull the welder out to do some reinforcements for the two e-bikes.

Weighs 49lbs. 41 without battery which is, coincidentally, the same weight as the 7" FR bike it is replacing.

Dont judge me! Its fun!

VanGoSki

Interesting ^^. So do you typically pedal at the same time the motor is running? Can/do you also run under just pedal power, and/or just motor power?

Top Bottom