Struggling and looking for some guidance

sprinterdreamer

2012 170 EXT 201000 miles conversion van. In great shape and I am the second owner and have all detailed records since brand new.

Went out camping last weekend and after parking it at home, next day, Van is in LHM without warning. No dash lights. Plugged in the MBII and had a number of codes show up.

P0112 - Intake Air Temp Sensor 1 circuit low
P245C - EGR cooler control circuit Low.
P0112 - Intake Air temp Sensor 1 circuit low
P2009 - Intake Manifold Runner control Circuit Low bank
P0047 - Turbo Boost control solenoid A Circuit Low.

Research at length and trouble shooting says it needed some additional expert help. Dropped by MB Westminster and payed the $ to get the exact result which was as follows:

FUSE FOR INTAKES, TURBO ACTUATOR, EGR AND HOT FILEM MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR IS BLOWN. REPLACED FUSE, TEST DROVE IS FINE AT THE MOMENT BUT INTAKE ACTUATOR IS BLOWING FUSE. ONLY FIX IS TO REPLACE MOTOR BUT WITH MILLAGE ON VEHICLE WORSE CASE IS THE INTAKES ARE BAD FROM ACTUATOR GOING OUT.

They offered me $3780,99 to replace the intake actuator motor which I declined. I bought a new actuator motor (642-150-04-94 and new ball sockets) it from Mercedes spare parts for $250 (which is high) so I can fix it this weekend. 2 hours later I had it installed and everything back together (those clips are the worst job I have done on the van!) BUT... Still in LHM. Note: Flaps and everything moved smoothly before reassemble and put back the right way.

Ultimately with this post, where is the exact location of the FUSE I need to replace after the parts are changed? What am I missing or overlooking? I just cant work it out and now reaching out to the forums for some additional guidance...

I just want to go camping this weekend...

Mickyfin

Sounds like a simply wiring issue to me. Check all connections, wires related to the mentioned fault areas, I recently had a main dealer trying to tell me I needed a new Turbo, when in actual fact, it was a $5 connector which I replaced myself.

D

Deleted member 50714

Based on vehicles age, I agree, electrical. Multiple codes may be indicative of bad ground. Check, among others, chasis to engine ground strap.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
And what is the battery voltage after resting for an hour or two and while the engine is running?

Keith.

sprinterdreamer

Thank you for the quick feedback. I will start the process of checking grounds and other wiring this morning.

For anyone reading, do you know the exact location on the van of the fuse that might be blowing? I cant find anything wrong ie: What number/location on the panel?

sprinterdreamer

Thanks Bobnoxious!

You have helped inspire me to keep going and with reading the article "Connections Matter" with the call out of "all M-B electronics still rely on basic wiring connection", I went back to the fuse box after checking/cleaning everything else under the hood as it has to be a simple fuse.

Well, after 20 mins of pulling and inspecting each fuse, there it was with the smallest of hairline crack in the 10A at #5 location. Swapped it out, cleared the codes and it is back to running like new!!!

Thank you to all that helped share your thoughts and experience...

Attachments

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
2012 170 EXT 201000 miles conversion van. In great shape and I am the second owner and have all detailed records since brand new.

Went out camping last weekend and after parking it at home, next day, Van is in LHM without warning. No dash lights. Plugged in the MBII and had a number of codes show up.
[...]
Research at length and trouble shooting says it needed some additional expert help. Dropped by MB Westminster and payed the $ to get the exact result which was as follows:

FUSE FOR INTAKES, TURBO ACTUATOR, EGR AND HOT FILEM MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR IS BLOWN. REPLACED FUSE, TEST DROVE IS FINE AT THE MOMENT BUT INTAKE ACTUATOR IS BLOWING FUSE. ONLY FIX IS TO REPLACE MOTOR BUT WITH MILLAGE ON VEHICLE WORSE CASE IS THE INTAKES ARE BAD FROM ACTUATOR GOING OUT.

They offered me $3780,99 to replace the intake actuator motor which I declined. I bought a new actuator motor (642-150-04-94 and new ball sockets) it from Mercedes spare parts for $250 (which is high) so I can fix it this weekend. 2 hours later I had it installed and everything back together (those clips are the worst job I have done on the van!) BUT... Still in LHM. Note: Flaps and everything moved smoothly before reassemble and put back the right way.
[...]
So in the end it was a) replacing an intake actuator motor [quoted at $3,700 and accomplished for $250 in parts and 2 hours inexperienced labor] and b) replacing a fuse with a hairline crack to effectively the total repair?

Experiences like this are very disturbing and lead to a lot of distrust between vehicle owners and dealerships/workshops, obviously. It anecdotally seems to be especially troubling in the MB world, where a 2x to 10x multiplier seems to apply to parts and labor. Even if events like this are actually rare, what is it in the system design or the standard diagnostic procedures that leads to outcomes like this? If one is paying big $$ for expert diagnostics, can there be a higher quality to the diagnostics or is it impossible to achieve within the context of a for-profit/time-sensitive business?

Rob S

2018 Navion 24G IQ on 2016 Sprinter
Fair to be said that actuator motor only rarely solves swirl valve issues, so a dealer who would stick his neck out and say all you need is the motor would most likely get a lot of unhappy customers demanding the rest of the fix for the quoted price.

Diagnostic codes can only tell you so much, after which you would have to take the whole thing apart, and assess the condition of all the parts, and all the wiring and plumbing leading to the parts, and a few etcetras.

If customers would be more tolerant of "we could try this, but it may not work, in which case, we might have to do this and that..." then dealers might be more inclined to try cheaper repairs.

Unfortunately we (maybe most) customers tend to forgive and forget a big bill, as long as it is not exceeded, and we drive away without any further issues.

DIY where you don't count the cost of labour for repeated tries at fixing, much more inclined to try least cost fixes first

Experiences like this are very disturbing and lead to a lot of distrust between vehicle owners and dealerships/workshops, obviously.
Why would you say that?

It anecdotally seems to be especially troubling in the MB world, where a 2x to 10x multiplier seems to apply to parts and labor.
What do you mean by "a 2x to 10x multiplier seems to apply to parts and labor."?

Even if events like this are actually rare, what is it in the system design or the standard diagnostic procedures that leads to outcomes like this?
What are you talking about?

If one is paying big $$ for expert diagnostics, can there be a higher quality to the diagnostics or is it impossible to achieve within the context of a for-profit/time-sensitive business?
Why would you assume that the diagnosis was not of "higher quality"?

...a dealer who would stick his neck out and say all you need is the motor would most likely get a lot of unhappy customers demanding the rest of the fix for the quoted price.
Huh?

Diagnostic codes can only tell you so much, after which you would have to take the whole thing apart, and assess the condition of all the parts, and all the wiring and plumbing leading to the parts, and a few etcetras.
Codes are not diagnosis. Codes are where diagnosis BEGINS.

If customers would be more tolerant of "we could try this, but it may not work, in which case, we might have to do this and that..." then dealers might be more inclined to try cheaper repairs.
That's called "guessing", and guessing is not a proper part of automotive diagnosis and repair.

Unfortunately we (maybe most) customers tend to forgive and forget a big bill, as long as it is not exceeded, and we drive away without any further issues.
What are you trying to say? What does the customer have to "forgive"? That their own car broke down, and the dealership fixed it for them properly for no more money than the customer authorized? :crazy:

DIY where you don't count the cost of labour for repeated tries at fixing, much more inclined to try least cost fixes first
My time has value, so I definitely count my time when performing maintenance and repairs on my vehicles.

The problem with most "DIY", is that the person attempting to work on their vehicle is attempting it themselves because they're too cheap to pay for a proper technician, the DIY person is utterly clueless when it comes to working on the vehicle, and the DIY person often ends up making the problem MORE expensive, by throwing random crappy aftermarket parts at it and using improper service techniques.

There is nothing in life that cannot be done a little worse for a little less money.

D

Deleted member 50714

For me, it's pure ecstasy anytime I find a resolution to a perplexing a problem. Especially when saving $1,000's.

D

Deleted member 50714

Based on the age of your vehicle, this may be a good time to perform comprehensive preventive maintenance tasks related to the electrical system, paying attention to wire chafing, many documented and have discovered many on my 2015 OM 651 Crew. Nothing worse than wire chafing to ruin your day and cause a Wallet Enema. The old saying, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." A lot of problems are the result of neglect and not catching assembly squawks. One of the most enjoyable tasks while working flightline was working "Pilot squawks." Mostly because it was inside the comfort of the cockpit.

The 2007 service manual (12,732 pages) is an excellent resource and suggest beginning with the battery system. "Looks good" or "The tow truck driver just put a new battery in it last week" doesn't cut-it, past excuses used, and sufficient reason to double-check!

Considering the starter Battery location, it's prone for neglect. The old saying, "Out of sight, out of mind."

lindenengineering

Again I feel must chime again about diagnosis and actual repairs .
AND in fact that most professionals do not want to see a come back with obvious customer dissatisfaction !
Furthermore the additional cost related arguments associated with these types of incidences lead to bad customer revues and Yelping!.

In fact I find it funny that posts of this nature always seems to fall into an instant condemnation by the peanut gallery on this forum about professional repair shops when only the OP is posting the topic!

In fact if you all took the time to read the narrative and inwardly and digest facts; the dealership installed a fuse, made a diagnosis with a cost estimate to fix in their estimation based upon EXPERIENCE!.
In turn the customer rejected that offer of service.
Remember Offeror Offeree and a contract to fix by/for consideration ..

They did obviously show due diligence by installing a fuse to temporarily reinstate the vehicle.
Customer/ Dealer experience ended with rejection of the offer and the OP did a DIY repair where somewhere in that period a fuse blew.
Dealer /shop has no further involvement in the job the moment the offer was rejected.

Lets change the analogy a bit and the YOU SAID SYNDROME!
It might come as a surprise but i have a very strong interest in Dentistry.
I have no formal training in the profession but I know enough to be dangerous! Seriously!
Really its a bit like some of you guys DIYing Sprinter repairs --it make me shiver my timbers at times.

So a guy phones up my friend Dr Ray P & asks how much to extract two upper wisdom teeth? Answer is $350 for a simple extraction BUT I need to see you to confirm that?
Sounds familiar in a motor vehicle repair sense yet!

Its should do because Americans don't service their teeth every 6 months just like they don't service their vehicles either!

When the appointment is conducted and the dentist has reviewed the parents oral condition and overall heath and the estimate rises to $7000.
Oh but you said $350!
You guys are thieves as bad as mechanics!

Well Sir Mr patient you have elevated BP, and I can see by extraction of the teeth and you overall gum and bone condition you might suffer a post extraction syndrome of traumatic neuralgia and alveoloplasty. Therefore we need an oral surgeon and expert to ensure you don't suffer from this condition at a later date after the extraction.

Anyway patient leaves in a huff never to return.
A few weeks later the patient is in Cancun on vacation and has a tooth painful episode .
A local Mexican dentist does the extraction for 1500 Pesos .
Nursing a sore mouth at a local bar and doing tequila shots the local barman states quiet firmly Oh my brother lives up there!
The Gringo health system a total rip off and they are so incompetent.
Next time simply come down here! You don't need any of that so called expert attention.

Get the picture its almost the continual narrative about shops, dealers and charges.
Oh and by the way you might have been able to self DIY extract your baby teeth and consider yourself an expert DIY dentist! BUT if you can do that with adult teeth then you have a serious problem like Periodontal Gum Disease. Think about it!.
AND many people from Latin America & elsewhere do seriously consider the USA health system to be full of incompetent people who rip you off.
Again think about that that .
Dennis

D

Deleted member 50714

I have a $2,000 annual dental insurance allowance, and every year, the dentist's staff attempt to upsell $2000 worth of dentistry.

lindenengineering

Well do remember as you age your dental health requirements increase , so being one of the lucky ones with some sort of dental coverage, used it to the max.

Not so about 75 to 80 million of the US population. They have no coverage!
Dennis

For me, it's pure ecstasy anytime I find a resolution to a perplexing a problem. Especially when saving $1,000's.
To me, that sounds like you are experiencing the satisfaction of improving your skill set. Nothing wrong with that. :thumbup:

I experience that in motorcycle riding, and I experience it through others in teaching motorcycle riding. I find it very rewarding to see that little light come on when they get it.

D

Deleted member 50714

Well do remember as you age your dental health requirements increase , so being one of the lucky ones with some sort of dental coverage, used it to the max.

Not so about 75 to 80 million of the US population. They have no coverage!
Dennis
Use it to the max? What, on dubiously required dental work. Dr. Li, my Dentist for over 15-years, aways said my teeth were fine. Unfortunately for me, Dr. Li retires and sales has practice. Now New dentist, claims I need all kinds of dentistry. Bogus.

Top Bottom